Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:24 PM   #26
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Just not for iPad. And it hasn't been updated for the iPhone 5.
Try Jasmine, it's iPad and iPhone 5 ready.
Cougarcat is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:24 PM   #27
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Too bad it wont integrate fully with iOS anymore
Google's fault for not providing turn by turn in the first place.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:26 PM   #28
Namjins
macrumors member

If Google includes turn-by-turn in their app now, why didn't they just do it before? Wasn't Google's refusal to include this feature, part of the reason Apple dropped their maps app in the first place?
Namjins is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:27 PM   #29
macchiato2009
macrumors 65816

gosh, Apple, don't be stubborn, give us Google Maps back !
macchiato2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:27 PM   #30
timsutcliffe
macrumors 6502

Getting Better

Apple's maps are getting better. Areas that were just blurry on satellite view are now on a par with google's offerings in the UK. I've never had a problem with the standard map view, that has always been accurate for where I've been.

I'm just hoping the missing location problems I've been reporting get added soon.
timsutcliffe is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:28 PM   #31
Soks
macrumors newbie

It would really be silly of Apple to reject a Google map app.

I'm sure there are some out there who are willing to skip buying the iPhone 5 because of the terrible native app, and perhaps if a Google app is available they wouldn't think twice about it and just get an iPhone anyway.

...and it's not like Apple is charging for their app anyway - it's bundled along with iOS.

Someone I know argued "But Google Maps sells Android phones", and yes - that may very well be, but all the people who will buy the app for iOS is going to put a penny or two into Google's pockets, so that's a good way to grab some of the money they don't get on the sales of the Android phones.

Let's see what happens.
Soks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:29 PM   #32
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Google Maps?

No Thanks. Pass
nuckinfutz is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:29 PM   #33
luigi408
macrumors regular

Yep, Jasmine is the best YouTube app to get for now. Really nice and clean interface.
luigi408 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:30 PM   #34
mcarling
macrumors 6502a

I hope it won't be as badly broken as the old Google Maps or the current Apple Maps.
mcarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:31 PM   #35
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Too bad it wont integrate fully with iOS anymore
True. However, if it comes with free turn-by-turn navigation, that will be a feature Google never provided before. Maybe it will work out for the best in the end. We'll have Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Nokia Maps, all with turn-by-turn, at no additional cost.
KPOM is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:31 PM   #36
bushido
macrumors 601

one more reason why i think apple should finally enable the option to set a different app as the default one or at least an "open with" option
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:31 PM   #37
codefuns
macrumors member

The first thing apple consider is money, money, money, not its clients any more!
But don't forget, all the money you make comes from your client!

you can reject an app because it is bad enough, but how dare you reject an app because it is too good?
coward!!!
codefuns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:35 PM   #38
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
True. However, if it comes with free turn-by-turn navigation, that will be a feature Google never provided before. Maybe it will work out for the best in the end. We'll have Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Nokia Maps, all with turn-by-turn, at no additional cost.
No, it won't. Turn by turn is a useless feature for many of us compared to integration.
The Phazer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:35 PM   #39
Dookieman
macrumors regular

Am I the only one who hasn't had major issues with the new Maps app? Everything I've needed to find has been where it's supposed to be.
Dookieman is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:35 PM   #40
S.L.
macrumors regular

I enjoy Apple Maps. But that's just me.
S.L. is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:36 PM   #41
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by codefuns View Post
The first thing apple consider is money, money, money, not its clients any more!
But don't forget, all the money you make comes from your client!
Do clients invent as well? Oh, sorry i forgot. Invention brings no money.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:37 PM   #42
CDNM3
macrumors newbie

Obviously the reason google didn't include turn by turn navigation on its previous app is to give its android OS an advantage over apples. Now that apple is offering it with their maps app, google is forced to offer it as well if they expect people to download their app now!
CDNM3 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:39 PM   #43
heyyoudvd
macrumors regular

I'm wondering if Apple has been improving their maps progressively, or if they've been stockpiling all these improvement so that they could push them out in one big update.

I'm wondering this because I haven't seen any improvements at all. 2 weeks after iOS 6 was released, there was a noticeable update, where I suddenly saw more POIs, better information, and some improved imagery. Since then, absolutely nothing has changed for me. In other words, I saw improvement after 2 weekss, but in the 6 weeks since then, absolutely nothing.

If Apple has been improving things throughout those 6 weeks, then I'm worried, as things have been going at a snail's pace and I haven't actually noticed any tangible improvements. That's why I'm hoping that this has merely been a case of Apple holding things back so that the work it has done over the past 6 weeks (and the next few weeks) will all come out together in one significant back end update.
heyyoudvd is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:39 PM   #44
walnuts
macrumors 6502

Ooh- I enjoy the drama. This report comes just on the heels of the Nokia map app announcement. It sounds like a race between google and Nokia. If Nokia gets their app in quick enough, and it is a good enough app, people (myself included) might stick with it rather than google or apple.

The competition should be good for us all!
walnuts is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:40 PM   #45
Frenchjay
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
But what about the iPad YouTube app?
This is the closest thing to the original YouTube app and it has iPhone 5 and ipd support and it's free.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mctu...8284?mt=8&ls=1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:42 PM   #46
PJMAN2952
macrumors regular

Icon fail

The icon is telling people to drive left and fall off the bridge. lol
PJMAN2952 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:44 PM   #47
Vitrum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
It may be true, however I am enjoying every bit of my iPhone 5 without google maps. And i don't miss it the slightest.
Awesome
Vitrum is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:44 PM   #48
tacoshell
macrumors regular

Mapple Traffic

It's not that I hate everything about the Apple Maps, I just can't stand the way it displays traffic. Google has green for clear, yellow for slow and red for dead stop, and nothing for 'no data'. Apple just has red dots for either slow or dead stop, and does not show 'clear'. This makes it difficult to determine the conditions, as there are a lot of times when there is no data, and a huge difference between 'yellow' and 'red'. Does anyone know a map app that uses Google maps style traffic reporting?
tacoshell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:45 PM   #49
crackbookpro
macrumors 65816

If Google progresses on their traffic update system for their Maps App, I see that being the biggest mod they can do for the consumer. Google has all this great data now on traffic results throughout the entire world...

They need to harness the traffic results and give us a better interface for traffic reports or heads-up signals for oncoming traffic. Next would be to alert for EZ-Pass/tolls & Gas Stop/Service Stations on major highways... this could/can be done, it can.
crackbookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:50 PM   #50
nikhsub1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackbookpro View Post
Wonder if Google skimps out again... wouldn't be surprised, Android's Maps is the best GPS app on a mobile platform to date.
Have you used Navigon? Yes it's expensive but I would not say google is better on android.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namjins View Post
If Google includes turn-by-turn in their app now, why didn't they just do it before? Wasn't Google's refusal to include this feature, part of the reason Apple dropped their maps app in the first place?
I believe it was a advertising/data mining issue... Apple would not allow google to do certain things or have access to certain data so they didn't allow it - It is something along those lines, it was mentioned when the whole Apple maps debacle went down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
No, it won't. Turn by turn is a useless feature for many of us compared to integration.
Perhaps but iOS could fix this by letting us set WHICH app is treated as integrated - sort of like setting the default 'open with' on a desktop. I find it odd that it can't be done with browsers and such on iOS, what if I prefer the Atomic browser? I should be able to tell iOS that Atomic is my default browser so open it (instead of Safari) anytime a brower is launched/required.
nikhsub1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion