Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:16 PM   #126
applenerd8
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac2800 View Post
I don't know about others' experiences, but I am not upgrading to iOS 6 only because I don't want to deal with the new Apple Maps. I have it on my iPad, and in addition to missing large swaths of roads in my area (Metro DC), the traffic function - which I rely on in planning my commute - is a pitiful joke. Beyond that, Apple Maps is littered with locations of commercial establishments, while missing basic items such as mass transit stations. The final straw for me was a vacation in London. Apple Maps couldn't locate most addresses in central London, was incapable of finding any business in the country, and Apple Maps insisted that every city we visited outside of London didn't exist. IMO Apple should go back to Google for its iOS maps function.
Really? That's odd. I live in London and have only had a few problems there with names. I don't think I've ever had a problem with an address. And I've never had problems with locating cities outside of London either. I go to Uni in Nottingham and the standard maps has been fine. The only problem was the satellite image, which is fixed now. And, like with London, I had a few naming issues. But not with address and postcodes.

Example:
On my University Campus, one of the buildings seems to be named Nottingham Trent University, Clifton Campus. This is the campus for the University of Nottingham, a different Uni. So name issue. But, to test the issue, I typed in the postcode from Trent Uni Clifton Campus, and the right place comes up and has the same name.

That's just my experience anyway. A few places are named wrong or the business or building is placed in the wrong place. Experienced this in both Nottingham and London. But when I type the postcode, or address, no issue. Of course, we don't all have the same experiences. These naming issues do need to be fixed though, and then all is good! It looks like they might be focusing on satellite problems at the moment though, since the problems I have seen with this have been fixed, but no naming issues have...even though I reported them.
applenerd8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:16 PM   #127
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Google gives away many things to all the people in the world in exchange of their usage data, location data, browsing data etc. for better targeted ads which is their core business. Apple, although now lags behind Android, still has hundreds of millions of users. This is a population that Google cannot ignore. They will release maps with turn by turn in the App Store and Apple will approve it.
Exactly.

I just hope that Apple doesn't sits on the app for a while after Google has submitted it. They should approve it as soon as possible.
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:16 PM   #128
thedeejay
macrumors 65816

3 words for Google:

PLEASE HURRY UP!
thedeejay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:22 PM   #129
Aidan5806
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
What about it? There is one in AppStore.
He said iPad youtube app, which in fact, is not available. You edited his comment. Now you just look foolish.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:30 PM   #130
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Google Maps?

No Thanks. Pass
So you like seeing broken images and running into random things with Apple Maps huh? Whatever floats your boat. Course Apple Maps might sink your boat into an ice burg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
I can do Street View from a browser. POI can easily be added on or I can leverage something like Foursquare's data.

Apple did the right thing wrt to Maps on iOS and if so many people weren't on their knees giving Google a Bravo Juliet they'd wipe off their mouth and do some research.
Pretty much what most people here to do Apple.

If people actually did their research they'd realize the iPad mini, for instance, was outdated as soon as it was announced. But no they give Apple "Bravo Juliet" as you say. And there's mouths are still dirty while Apple laughs all the way to the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
NO YOU EDIT!

Enough of this.
It is never enough!

Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:34 PM   #131
808?
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhen View Post
I for one really hope they approve Google Maps. It seems no one else can get Hong Kong right on their maps.
Exactly.
808? is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:35 PM   #132
Marrakas
macrumors 6502

Screw the maps app, where's my youtube app?
Marrakas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:38 PM   #133
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMAN2952 View Post
The icon is telling people to drive left and fall off the bridge. lol
Holy crap, I never noticed this. It's like some sort of inside joke.

Who knew apple had a sense of humour?!?!
dazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:48 PM   #134
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
But what about the iPad YouTube app?
Web browser works fine.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:49 PM   #135
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
I can't waitttt for this app. The web app just doesn't cut it for me and neither does Apple Maps.
I've been waiting for Google Maps to upgrade to iPhone 5.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:49 PM   #136
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAndroid View Post
The awkward moment when you realise you're dependent on Google to make your Apple phone functional.

Anyone who has used the Apple maps app very much knows its fine and the hysteria is overblown. Or you could use one of many free non Google non Apple mapping apps.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:54 PM   #137
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhen View Post

I for one really hope they approve Google Maps. It seems no one else can get Hong Kong right on their maps.

Bizarrely, Nokia Maps have romanized all the Chinese, so subway directions have completely useless translations.
This is a "minor" problem. You know, Apple Maps puts "Admiralty MTR Station" in Stanley

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
Exactly.

I just hope that Apple doesn't sits on the app for a while after Google has submitted it. They should approve it as soon as possible.
With plethora of apps being updated for the iPhone 5 (NOT YOUTUBE!), the review process is much slower now, we need to wait for at least a month before the app is approved.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:55 PM   #138
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post
Apple maps have been interesting, especially with Siri control, "Navigate Home", "Navigate to Natraj Tandoori" and away you go, pretty usefull stuff that I've not gotten from my expensive mapper apps.

BUT, Apple, please consider adding a NIGHT MODE, I frickken hate a bright white screen at night, seems like a basic feature, really.

Looking forward to seeing what Google can do, I'd gladly pay something for a decent app if they add the value that Google could bring.
Can't you just set invert colors on triple home click and then switch it at night?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:01 PM   #139
sugarbear
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
But what about the iPad YouTube app?
While you're waiting, pick up an app called "Jasmine". Excellent alternative.
sugarbear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:02 PM   #140
ubersoldat
macrumors member

wow so now people get praised for attending meetings. wohoo!
ubersoldat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:21 PM   #141
notabadname
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmbraDiaboli View Post
Thanks Google, please come save us from this big mess by Apple (just look at the stock price in reaction to the past 3 months...), . . . . (
Hmmm - bias much. You may want to note Google's market performance too. (Or perhaps you may not want to)

Apple is not alone in its loss of share price. Google was $768.05 on Oct 3rd, 2012, today $647.26, so they are feeling the fear of the "Cliff" as well.

At today's closing- Market Capitalization of the two companies:
Apple = $494.5 Billion, Google $212.7 Billion

Apple 1 year ago $377 / share. Today $525.62, a 39% gain year-over-year
Google 1 year ago $595 / share . Today $647.26, a 9% gain year-over-year
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:25 PM   #142
extricated
macrumors regular

I've had mostly minor issues with Apple's maps. Not unlike the minor issues I've had with Google's.
Definitely lacking in the volume of map data, but so far nothing has caused me any problems (like getting lost or being unable to find a place I've never been to).
Perhaps that unfortunate day will come, but so far the map situation hasn't been nearly as bad for me as it has apparently been for others.
extricated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:25 PM   #143
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabadname View Post
At today's closing- Market Capitalization of the two companies:
Apple = $494.5 Billion, Google $212.7 Billion

Apple 1 year ago $377 / share. Today $525.62, a 39% gain year-over-year
Google 1 year ago $595 / share . Today $647.26, a 9% gain year-over-year
Do you happen to know these numbers for Microsoft and Amazon?

Thanks.
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:35 PM   #144
krigsmakten
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Google's Maps app for iOS has been spotted in alpha testing
That puts it at least on par with Apple's Maps app - that is just past alpha.
krigsmakten is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:36 PM   #145
slu
macrumors 68000

I'm looking forward to it. I have found a good alternative for transit directions, but I'd prefer total integration. I like to be able to decide between transit and driving easily.
slu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:38 PM   #146
krigsmakten
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinOSX View Post
Anyone who has used the Apple maps app very much knows its fine and the hysteria is overblown. Or you could use one of many free non Google non Apple mapping apps.
Please tell me what you're smoking - Apple Maps is so dysfunctional that I fish out my old 3GS (that still has the old Google Maps app) when I need to find something. The old one works like a charm.
krigsmakten is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:40 PM   #147
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAndroid View Post
The awkward moment when you realise you're dependent on Google to make your Apple phone functional.

Melodramatic much. My Apple phone is very much functional without Google Maps.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:44 PM   #148
MikeyMike01
macrumors 6502

I'll pass on anything Google has to offer, Maps or otherwise.
MikeyMike01 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:48 PM   #149
genovelle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Would've been nice if Google wasn't stubborn in the first place.
The issue really is that Google was an Apple partner with a member on the Apple board who suddenly started competing with them in every market. To make matters worse, they were holding back the development of IOS. Keep in mind that Google's maps and mobile database was refined with Apple data. Then they were able to hold them hostage with their own development. Google only provided the back end data. Apple designed the interface.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Melodramatic much. My Apple phone is very much functional without Google Maps.
Mine is much improved with out Google
genovelle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:51 PM   #150
token787
macrumors regular

I think Google is trying too hard to get back in Apple's good grace, but Apple wants Google to disappear.
token787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion