Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Hi,

I looking for some direction in how I should construct my resume given the scenario below.

I've been working in the computer industry for over 7 years and up until a couple years ago I started to focus on going into the security arm of the industry. I've made huge financial and personal sacrifices to obtaining the training/certs I needed to get my foot in the door.

Unfortunately, my current IT job doesn't have too much emphasis on security, thus I am unable to really put down anything substantial on my resume that is security related. I've done by best to tailor my resume towards security, but I still don't think it has enough solidification to get noticed.

I am contemplating whether I should clear out the items that don't hold too much weight (security wise) and put in something softer but more related to security, such as suggesting I do this on a hobby/interest/home lab, etc...but I'm just not sure if that would help.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
Hi,

I looking for some direction in how I should construct my resume given the scenario below.

I've been working in the computer industry for over 7 years and up until a couple years ago I started to focus on going into the security arm of the industry. I've made huge financial and personal sacrifices to obtaining the training/certs I needed to get my foot in the door.

Unfortunately, my current IT job doesn't have too much emphasis on security, thus I am unable to really put down anything substantial on my resume that is security related. I've done by best to tailor my resume towards security, but I still don't think it has enough solidification to get noticed.

I am contemplating whether I should clear out the items that don't hold too much weight (security wise) and put in something softer but more related to security, such as suggesting I do this on a hobby/interest/home lab, etc...but I'm just not sure if that would help.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

The best Advice I ever got was to make sure that your duties/responsibilities are directed towards how you can make the organization that your applying for better. Also Spell check. Make sure you have at least 4 people read over your document. Then read your resume backwards to make sure everything is spelled correctly. Also, Advice is spelled AdvICE. Not advise, Advise is to give someone advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.