Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:05 PM   #1
rusty2192
macrumors 6502a

How to photograph beer glasses?

I have a slightly unique situation that I would like to present to the brain-trust that is the Digital Photography forum on Macrumors.

I have a rather extensive collection of pint glasses for various beers. One of the local pubs in town has a promotion where Wednesdays are "Pint Nights." Basically you get two free pint glasses when you buy a pitcher of beer. I frequented this for a few years during college, building up a collection of at least 50 different glasses, most of which are unique; only a few duplicates. They have now been boxed up in the attic for a few years since I got married and moved into out house so I'm thinking it may be time to part ways with them. Well, most of them. There are some that I will not get rid of, like my 2 liter Spaten boot

Anyway, to the matter at hand: I am thinking of putting them on ebay to get a little money back from them. What kind of cheap small setup should I put together to take photos of them for the auctions? And does anyone have any advice for photographing empty glasses? Or should I fill them for the shots?

I have the basic equipment (T2i, assorted lenses, etc.), but not much in the way of lighting. I have a 430EXII, radio triggers, shoot-through/reflective umbrella, and that's about it. Would strobes be better for this or would constant lighting?

If nothing else, maybe this will be a fun brainstorming session for some of you veterans.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:07 PM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Since they are for ebay, I'd just use some constant light to light them, probably with a dark background.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

With beer, you'd want the dark pub-like atmosphere in the photos. For that, you'll want a preferably dark background, wood tabletop, and warm (and I mean warm) natural lighting. Like the common "Soft White" lights, except dim them a bit. You can even use candlelight!
If you intend on using a flash, use a tungsten filter on the flash to get the warm tone, then bounce the light on the ceiling to get the natural lighting effect.
I also think that side or rear illumination will work best.

Cheers!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
dcains
macrumors regular

Light tents are inexpensive, and can provide soft, even lighting for still-life shots. Here's one which comes with several different background color panels:

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-2...676098-4454126
dcains is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Cliff3
macrumors 65816

The only thing you need beyond what you already have is some sort of background.

FWIW, I am selling off my Nikon equipment and was taking photos of it today. Here's a photo of my setup, plus one of the gear photos. As you can see, I am using my camera as a commander with an off-camera strobe shooting through an umbrella. I am using a paper background draped over a folding table and I have a white reflector on the side opposite the flash.

A big piece of white cardboard and a friend (aka: Mr. or Ms. Holder) could easily sub for my fancy reflector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nikon auction-250002-20121125.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	379650   Click image for larger version

Name:	nikon auction-3177-20121125.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	379651  
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:53 PM   #6
BarryJ
macrumors Demi-God

Beer glasses

I photograph beer glasses like this:

lol, sorry, I couldn't resist. Good luck with your project.

BJ
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:02 PM   #7
allisonv7
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to allisonv7 Send a message via Yahoo to allisonv7
Since you are shooting them for ebay I would just put some white tissue paper in them against a darker background. It'll show off the shape some and any art on the glass will be accentuated.

allisonv7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:51 AM   #8
beavo451
macrumors 6502

Lighting is key (as always). With most glass type subjects, placing the lights to the side and slightly behind the subject works very well.
beavo451 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:33 AM   #9
NZed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
Since they are for ebay, I'd just use some constant light to light them, probably with a dark background.
And since its for eBay. HEAVY EDITING
NZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography