Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1
canuckle
macrumors regular

MBP to MBA - Help with Migration

Hi all,

Buying a new MBA this weekend, and will set it up then sell my 2011 MBP. Looking for some specific help with a couple of things:

* Best way to migrate my data without restoring a backup (which I'm not sure is even possible going from MBP to MBA, lol). I use Time Machine for the MBP. I would like to migrate the following
- Apps and associated info
- Music library (actual files), iTunes info (playlists, etc)
- Documents

I'm totally fine doing the settings from scratch (mail, contacts, passwords/keychain, etc) as I have all in iCloud.

* Best way to prepare the MBP for sale.
- Not sure on how to re-install Mountain Lion, as I'm a fairly new Mac user.
- Whomever is buying will want a demonstration that it is in proper working order...how to do that without setting up my own profile again?

I think that's it. I've combed the forums for days and can't seem to find the "_______ for dummies" threads for these 2 situations. If I've missed them, please feel free to render a solid scolding and point me in the right direction.

Many thanks!

Mike
canuckle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Maui19
macrumors regular

Migration Assistant is a pretty seamless way to move files to a new computer. I just migrated my old MBA to my new one. It took about 2 hours over wireless, and now my new MBA is setup exactly like my old one.
Maui19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air