Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
I've been dying for the new imacs. Though now the Mac minis are looking really sweet. Plus I save some cash. I would get the 799 model with 2.6ghz i7, 8 gigs of ram, 1tb fusion, with a Cinema Display. Against the high end 27" with roughly the same specs. My question is will the mini perform well with games such as steam, minecraft, possibly some gaming through boot camp? Was anyone in the same situation as me and go for the mini over iMac? Just looking for some input. Thanks in advance guys!:apple:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I've been dying for the new imacs. Though now the Mac minis are looking really sweet. Plus I save some cash. I would get the 799 model with 2.6ghz i7, 8 gigs of ram, 1tb fusion, with a Cinema Display. Against the high end 27" with roughly the same specs. My question is will the mini perform well with games such as steam, minecraft, possibly some gaming through boot camp? Was anyone in the same situation as me and go for the mini over iMac? Just looking for some input. Thanks in advance guys!:apple:

no i would buy the new iMac or buy a refurbished iMac. why you want games

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
You think so? I probably wouldn't do anything heavy just some steam games and minecraft.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
The mini with fusion and cinema I think comes to close to the same price as iMac?:confused: this is so hard haha:)

Errz

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
The mini with fusion and cinema I think comes to close to the same price as iMac?:confused: this is so hard haha:)

iMac has a better video card compare to Mac mini ? and u r actually paying the extra $$ for the Apple cinema display.

so if u r into gaming...guess iMac is a better buy.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
If you're planning on gaming and expect to play more than just Minecraft, the iMac is a better choice because of the graphics card. However, the new iMac's appear to be delayed until 2013, so your choice now is, buy a 2011 iMac or a 2012 mini. Or wait.

----------

Go with the mini, no question. The imac is way over priced IMHO. If youre not a heavy gamer, it's a no brainer.

I don't think the iMac is really overpriced at all.

Consider:

You get a 27" Cinema Display that costs $1,000.

That means you're paying $799 or $999 for the computer.

For the same price as the mid-model mini or upgraded mini, you get a faster CPU, twice as much stock ram, a very nice graphics card, plus a mouse or trackpad and a keyboard. In reality it's the same price as a mini plus the Cinema Display, but it's a nicer computer. The only question is, do people prefer to have an all-in-one or a small computer, and not every mini buyer is going to spend the extra $1000 for the Cinema Display. But if the OP is planning on that anyway, then the iMac makes more sense, IMHO.

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
I don't think the iMac is really overpriced at all.

Consider:

You get a 27" Cinema Display that costs $1,000.

Yea, just me, but spending this much on just a display is ridiculous...but I guess if one has the coin, then more power to them...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.