Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Ammo
macrumors regular

iPhone 5 antenna strength weaker than 4S?

Has anyone tested their iPhone 5's cellular antenna strength compared to the 4S? My 4S was rock solid inside my parents' house despite being limited to 1 to 2 bars, while my 5 either has 1 bar or No Service. Also, I can't connect to the Wi-Fi in their house when I'm in another level of the house with my 5, while I could with my 4S.

I've also noticed bouts of "No Service" or lower service inside buildings with my 5 that were non-issues with my 4S, so I know it's not a carrier issue.

Anyone else experience this or is this a design flaw in my iPhone 5?
Ammo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:59 PM   #2
jlake02
macrumors 68020

My antenna is almost exactly the same as my 4 and 4S (at least in locations where I have checked).
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

At my house, my iPhone 5 shows 1-2 bars, where my iPhone 4s showed 4-5 bars.

But my iPhone 5 is showing me the signal of Verizon's LTE network, whereas my iPhone 4s was showing me Verizon's non-LTE network, which is much more robust.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Ammo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
At my house, my iPhone 5 shows 1-2 bars, where my iPhone 4s showed 4-5 bars.

But my iPhone 5 is showing me the signal of Verizon's LTE network, whereas my iPhone 4s was showing me Verizon's non-LTE network, which is much more robust.
I'll lose LTE in certain buildings and sometimes I'll lose data completely, which doesn't make sense because AT&T's LTE network in this market runs on a lower frequency for better building coverage than the HSPA network.
Ammo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:35 PM   #5
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
I'll lose LTE in certain buildings and sometimes I'll lose data completely, which doesn't make sense because AT&T's LTE network in this market runs on a lower frequency for better building coverage than the HSPA network.
Verizon's LTE network also runs on a lower frequency where I live, but they haven't put LTE antennas on all of their cell sites here yet.

My house is very close to a Verizon non-LTE tower, but the closest Verizon tower with LTE is a few miles further away.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:36 PM   #6
whoathere
macrumors 6502

This is definitely something I've noticed. Now, typically I get 2 bars LTE in my office, which is fine. But should it switch over to 3G, I will still only have 2 bars and it is dreadful. I always had full 3G service on my 4 from my office. With wifi, it's pretty much the same. I've got a 3 story house with my router on the middle level. My iPhone 5 only gets full bars on wifi if I'm on the middle level, or near either set of stairs. With my iPhone 4, I could even be outside and still get full wifi. Fortunately, LTE is blazing fast and I have UDP so I don't so much care about wifi anymore.
whoathere is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone