Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
When the topic of app selection comes up with Android users, they say, "Who cares? Why do I need a thousand fart apps? Androids selection of apps is more than enough."

To which I say, 1. It's the quality, not the quantity. Both app stores have way more apps than any person could sample in a lifetime. 2. You can't miss what you've never had. If you've only tasted Sees Candies, you won't care that you don't have access to Godiva.

This list is mostly games because when it comes to a utility app, say like Pages, you could argue that Google Play has an equivalent app that does the same, whereas games, it's a unique and artistic thing where a copy of it is not the same thing. But I have posted some music production apps because they do deal with unique, and proprietary things like modeling from specific instruments, like Roland, and branding of instruments like Fender.

Many of these apps I have personally played and enjoyed, and later noticed were not on Android when I made the switch to an Android smartphone. Also, i've only included apps that are rated 4 stars or higher. No junk. A list of all iOS exclusive apps regardless of rating would take too long to compile.

1-Bit Ninja
100 Rogues
1001 Attempts
247 Missles
4NR
AC/DC Pinball Rocks
Action Driver
Action Movie FX
Aerox
Alive 4ever
Alive 4ever Returns
Amateur Surgeon 2
Amazing Ants
Ampkit
Amplitube
Animoog
Apocalypse Max
Aquaria
Aralon
Arc Squadron
Archetype
Arms Cartel
Arranger
Ascension
Autumn Dynasty
Back to the Future Episode 1-5
Backspaces
Ballistik Wars
Band of the Day
Barefoot World Atlas
Bastion
Batman Arhkam City Lockdown
Battle Academy
Battle Bears Royale
Battleland: Warrior vs Monster HD
Battle Of The Bulge (Shenandoah Studios)
Battlefriends At Sea
Battleship (Hasbro)
Beatdown!
Beatmaker
Beatronome
Bike Baron
Bit Dungeon
Bladeslinger: Ep 1
Bloom HD
Blue Note
Blueprint 3D
Bookworm (Popcap Games)
Bounty Bots
Bubble Galaxy
Bubble Seasons
Bullet Time HD
Bumpy Road
Burnout Crash!
Call Of Snakes
Car Town Streets
Carmageddon
Castle Age
Cat Physics
Catapult King
Catch The Ark
Chimpact
Cinebeat
Circuit Playground
Clash Of Clans
Coaster Crazy
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
CraftedBattle
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart
Crazy Bill
Crazy Quest (Grahams Solutions)
Crazy Taxi (Sega)
CSR Racing
Cubed Rally Racer
Cubed Rally Redline
Cyto
Danmaku Unlimited
Danmaku Unlimited 2
Deal Or No Deal
Deepworld (MMO)
Devil May Cry 4: Refrain
Devils At The Gate: Pacific War HD
Disney Super Speedway
DJay
DM1
Dondonpachi Maximum
Dragon Island Blue
Dragon Skies
Dream of Pixels
Dungeon Story
Earn To Die
Elements Defender
Epoch
Escape The Swamp
Eternal Legacy
Expand It!
Fairway Solitaire
Fieldrunners 2
FIFA 13
Fight Night Champion
Figure
Filtratron
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Chaos Rings II
FL Studio
Flight Unlimited Las Vegas
Flashout 3D
Flick Home Run
Freeskate
Fishmoto
Galactic Phantasy
Galactic Phantasy: Prelude
Garage Band
Gear Jack
Gems with Friends
GeoDash: Wild Animal Adventure
GeoSociety
Gesundheit
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Girls Like Robots
Glitchamaphone
Glitchbreaks
Golden Axe 2
Graffiti Me!
Gravity.Duck
Groove Coaster
GTA: Chinatown Wars
Gun Bros 2
Hairy Tales
Hay Day
He-Man
Heal Me!
Hector: Badge Of Carnage
Hero of Sparta 2
Heroes and Castles
Hundreds
I, Gladiator
iKaossilator
I Am T Pain
I Dig It
I Dig It: Expeditions
I Love Katamari
iSequencer HD
iMPC
Impressionism HD
Incoboto
Infinity Blade
Infinity Blade II
Infinity Field
Into The Dead
Ironman 2
iTunes U
Joe Danger
Jool
Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106
Juggle It
Jumping Finn
Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World
King Cashing: Slots Adventure
King Cashing 2
Kingdom Rush
Korg iElectribe
Korg iMS-20
Korg iKaossilator
Korg iPolysix
Le Havre (Codito Dev)
League Of Evil 2
Legendary Wars
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Leggo Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Letterpress
Lightning Assault
Limbo
Little Acorns (Chillingo)
Little Inferno
Little Masters
Living Earth
Lostwinds 2: Winter of the Melodias
Luminosity Brain Trainer
Lunar Silver Star Story
Macguffins Curse
Mad Skills BMX
Madcoaster
Mage Gauntlet
Magic 2013
Marvel VS Campcom 3
Matching with Friends
Mega Man X
MetalStorm
Micro Miners
Might & Magic: Clash Of Heroes
Mikey Shorts
Minigore
Minigore 2
Mirrors Edge
ModCloth
Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Monkey Island 3
Monsters Inc: Run
Monster Wars
Mr. Ninja
Mr. Oops!
Multitrack DAW
Mutant Fridge Mayhem
Myst
Nano Studio
Need For Speed Shift 2 Unleashed
Need For Speed Undercover
Negative Nimbus
Neuroshima Hex Puzzle
New Puzzle Bobble
New Bust A Move
Noble Nutlings
NY Zombies
NY Zombies 2
Ocarina (Smule)
ORC: Vengeance
Orphion
Outwitters
Ovenbreak 2
Over HD
Parallax 2
Penny Arcade: The Game
Penumbear
Percolator
Phantasy Star 2
Pheed
Phoenix HD
Phoenix Wright
Pilot's Path
Pixel People
Pix'n Love Rush: DX
Pocket Army
Pocket Climber
Pocket Heroes
Pocket Zoo HD
Polymer
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Pro Pool 2012
Puerto Rico HD
Punch Quest
Puppetshow: Mystery of Joyville
Puzzle Agent
Puzzle Craft
Rad Soldiers
Radia
Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard
Rage HD
Rage Of The Gladiator
Rat On A Jet Ski
Rat On A Snowboard
Ravenmark
Ravensword: Shadowlands
Real Boxing
ReBirth
Reckless Racing 2
Red Conquest
Repulze
Revenge of the Rob-O-Bot
RISK
Robokill
Robot Rampage
Rockband
Rockmate
Roland VR-09 Editor
Samplr
Samurai II: Dojo
Samurai Bloodshow
Scale Wizard
Scribble Hero
Scribblenauts
Shadow Guardian
Shadow Love
Shadow Warrior
Shining Force
Shufflepuck Cantina
Sid Miers Civilization
Sid Miers Pirates
Skate It
Skee-Ball 2
Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders
Skylanders: Cloud Patrol
Slayer Pinball
Slender Rising
Slingshot Puzzle HD
Slingshot Racing
Smash Cops
Snapguide
Solforge
Sonic & Sega All Star Racing
Soul Calibur
Spellcraft
SpellTower
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor
Split Pic
Spunk And Moxie
Stack The States
Starfront Collision
Stompbox (guitar effects)
Storm In A Teacup
Strange Loves 1: Vampire Boyfriends
Street Fighter Volt
Street Figher VS Tekken
Strum
Summoner Wars
Super Hexagon
Supermagical
Swing King
Swordigo
Tab Toolkit
Table Top Racing
Tactical Soldier
Tentacles: Enter The Dolphin
The 7th Guest
The Gods: Rebellion
The Grading Game
The History Channel
The Infinity Project 2
The Last Express
The Lords of Midnight
The Math Tree
The Room
The Silent Age
The Simpsons Arcade
The Simpsons: Tapped Out
The Sims 3: Ambitions
The Sims 3: World Adventures
The Sims Medieval
The Voice: On Stage
The Walking Dead: The Game. Episode 1-5
The World Ends With You
Ticket To Ride Pocket
Ticket To Ride Europe
Time Geeks: Find All
Time Surfer
Tiny Sheep
Tiny Wings
Toca Band
Toca Hair Salon
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard
Tom Clancy's Hawk
Total Recoil
Touch Hockey 2
Touchgrind
Tractor DJ
Trenches
Trenches II
Trivial Pursuit
True Skate
Turtles, Huh?
Twisted Lands: Origin HD
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Unstuck
Verticus
Vintagio
Wake The Cat
Warpspeed 2
West Legends
Wimp: Who stole my pants?
Wind Tunnel
Wipeout
Worms 2: Armageddon
Worms Crazy Golf
Wurdle
X-Plane (Extreme/Airliner/Helicopter/Carrier)
Yahtzee HD
Yesterday
You Don't Know Jack
Zombie Gunship
Zombieville USA 2
Zuma's Revenge

Apps added this revision:

West Legends, Penumbear, Gravity.Duck, Zombieville USA 2, King Cashing 2, The Gods: Rebellion, Polymer, Heroes and Castles, Table Top Racing, Danmaku Unlimited, Danmaku Unlimited 2, Pixel People, Warpspeed 2, 247 Missles, Robot Rampage, Skee-Ball 2, Spunk And Moxie, Jool, I, Gladiator, Expand It!, Gun Bros 2, Crazy Bill, The Silent Age, Lightning Assault, Year Walk, Crazy Quest, Phoenix HD, Parallax 2, Flight Unlimited Las Vegas, Cyto, Bit Dungeon, Escape The Swamp, Fishmoto, Tactical Soldier, Little Acorns, Le Havre, Hairy Tales, Tractor DJ, You Don't Know Jack, ModCloth, Wind Tunnel, MathMateer, Circuit Playground, Roland VR-09 Editor, Glitchamaphone, iMPC, Blue Note, Korg iElectribe, Korg iKaossilator, Korg iMS-20, Glitchbreaks, Rockmate, iSequencer HD, Bloom HD, Orphion, Percolator, Over HD, Barefoot World Atlas, Aquaria, Infinity Field, Cinebeat, Slingshot Puzzle HD, 1001 Attempts

Apps removed this revision:

n/a

Mention any good apps I missed and i'll edit them in. Some apps may release an android version in the future and so they will need to be removed from the list. And of course there are bound to be new ones to be added in.

Also it would be cool for someone to make a sister thread of good apps available only on Google Play.

Last edited:

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
When the topic of app selection comes up with Android users, they say, "Who cares? Why do I need a thousand fart apps? Androids selection of apps is more than enough."

To which I say, 1. It's the quality, not the quantity. Both app stores have way more apps than any person could sample in a lifetime. 2. You can't miss what you've never had. If you've only tasted Sees Candies, you won't care that you don't have access to Godiva.

This list is mostly games because when it comes to a utility app, say like Pages, you could argue that Google Play has an equivalent app that does the same, whereas games, it's a unique and artistic thing where a copy of it is not the same thing. But I have posted some music production apps because they do deal with unique, and proprietary things like modeling from specific instruments, like Roland, and branding of instruments like Fender.

This really isn't that great of a thread IMO but if you are going to do it you might want to recheck your list. Pocket Planes, Rayman Jungle Run, Chrono Trigger, and Prince of persia are all in the play store from what I can tell, I haven't looked at the others.

They also have tiny bird, moon chaser and dragon fly which exhibit the same game play as tiny wings so that one should also be taken off your list too.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Regarding Chrono Trigger, Android runs SNES emulators (and Gameboy, and Genesis, and PSX, and N64) so you want to know what iOS doesn't have? The entire SNES collection of games.

:)

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia

These are apps that I personally have played and enjoyed that I noticed were not on Android during the time I owned an Android smartphone. Also i've only included apps that are rated 4 stars or higher. No junk.

Arc Squadron, Letterpress, The Walking Dead: The Game, Swordigo, GTA Chinatown Wars, Pocket Planes, Street Fighter Volt, True Skate, Fairway Solitaire, Beat Hazard Ultra, Infinity Blade II, Bike Baron, Gesundheit, Monkey Island 1-3, Groove Coaster, Starfront Collision, Aralon, Rage HD, Matching with Friends, The World Ends With You, Scribblenauts, Avengers Initiative, Dream of Pixels, Back to the Future, Battle Academy, Zuma's Revenge, Touchgrind, MVC3, New Puzzle Bobble, SF vs Tekken, Ultimate MC3, Rayman Jungle Run, He-Man, Alive 4ever, Wild Blood, Beatdown!, Fieldrunners 2, Epoch, Ascension, Mikey Shorts, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy Chaos Rings, Wimp, Bastion, Skate It, Real Boxing, Chrono Trigger, NFS Shift 2, Iron Man 2, Prince of Persia, Tom Clancys Hawk, Mirrors Edge, Minigore, Hero of Sparta 2, Phoenix Wright, Limbo, Rock Band, Tiny Wings, New Bust A Move, Zombie Gunship, Eternal Legacy, Pocket Climber, Ticket To Ride, Sid Miers Pirates, Sid Miers Civilization, Punch Quest, Aerox, The Simpsons: Tapped Out, The Simpsons Arcade, CSR Racing, Hay Day, Castle Age, FIFA 13, Gems with Friends, Wipeout, Living Earth, Band of the Day, Luminosity, FL Studio, Animoog, Filtratron, DJay, Figure, Nano Studio, iKaossilator, DM1, Multitrack DAW, ReBirth, Ampkit, Tab Toolkit, Amplitube, Beatmaker, iTunes U, Garage Band.

Mention any good apps I missed and i'll edit them in. Some apps may release an android version in the future and so they will need to be removed from the list. And of course there are bound to be new ones to be added in.

Also it would be cool for someone to make a sister thread of good apps available only on Google Play.

As already mentioned, Rayman's on Android, as is Starfront and Eternal Legacy, although you have to buy them from Gameloft's site. Chaos Rings 1 was also just released on Android. It's over 2 years late, but hey, it's there. Chaos Rings Omega and CR2 still aren't out on Android.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
As market share shifts and as the Nexus branding/line continues to take off, so will the landscape of apps continue to change. Before, it used to be App Store rules the Play Store with numbers of apps. Now, it's getting down to a some specific apps that Android doesn't have (yet; maybe some forever), or that apps aren't perfectly optimized for tablet screens yet. Soon, those gaps, too, will close.

It's inevitable.

Meanwhile, there are caveats to having less fragmented apps. You have a limited number of screen sizes and resolutions that Apple can make. You can't make massive upgrades to the software that rocks the boat too much (while Android can, once in a while, throw a ICS-like overhaul of the system).

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Regarding Chrono Trigger, Android runs SNES emulators (and Gameboy, and Genesis, and PSX, and N64) so you want to know what iOS doesn't have? The entire SNES collection of games.

:)

If I wanted to play 20 year old games that werent designed to be used with a touchscreen, with the wrong aspect ratio, I could download Cydia and have all the emulators I want.

What do you do if you want to play Infinity Blade 2, or plug in a guitar and use an amp modeler?

----------

This really isn't that great of a thread IMO

Then make a thread about games and apps that are available for Android only. I'm sure that thread will be much better.

I updated the list, and removed two apps that now have android versions, and added two iOS games. BTW, Price of Persia was for Warrior Within, not the Classic version.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If the latest and greatest games are absolutely important to you, just enjoy your iPhone. I don't see the point you are trying to make here.

I guess you don't realize many of us Android users also have iOS devices as well. So it's not like we are missing out. I myself still have my 4 and 4S and use my iPad 2 daily. I also haven't played most of those games you posted on iOS. It should be obvious that many choose an Android device for reasons other than gaming.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Can you alphabetize that

Done. I also arranged the list vertically so its easier to read.

----------

If the latest and greatest games are absolutely important to you, just enjoy your iPhone. I don't see the point you are trying to make here.

I guess you don't realize many of us Android users also have iOS devices as well. So it's not like we are missing out. I myself still have my 4 and 4S and use my iPad 2 daily. I also haven't played most of those games you posted on iOS. It should be obvious that many choose an Android device for reasons other than gaming.

It's not games, its apps in general. Like I said, the list is mostly games because when it comes to utility apps, you could just point out an android app that does roughly the same thing. Whereas unique apps like games is an irrefutable sign that iOS is far superior to Android as far as software goes.

Cool features are nice to have, but at the end of the day, my device is a means to use apps. Without apps, its little more than a cell phone, music player, and camera.

Software is just as important as hardware, if not more. Which is why the Zune HD failed, despite it having superior hardware to the iPod Touch. It had a better screen, and the best GPU of any mobile device at the time. But it wasn't enough. Content is king.

Last edited:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

----------

It's not games, its apps in general. Like I said, the list is mostly games because when it comes to utility apps, you could just point out an android app that does roughly the same thing. Whereas unique apps like games is an irrefutable sign that iOS is far superior to Android as far as software goes.

Cool features are nice to have, but at the end of the day, my device is a means to use apps. Without apps, its little more than a cell phone, music player, and camera.

Software is just as important as hardware, if not more. Which is why the Zune HD failed, despite it having superior hardware to the iPod Touch. It had a better screen, and the best GPU of any mobile device at the time. But it wasn't enough. Content is king.

IMO, gaming on the iPhone sucks and in general, the games on iOS are low quality, repetitive, and "freemium" that takes all the fun out. I know because I have an iPhone. I've basically stopped downloading games on iOS because I've seen it all and it keeps getting repeated.

If you want to compare apps, iOS sucks for spreadsheets. There is so much more choice on Android if you want to be productive.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, but you know what? People on Google Play aren't blowing $500 on mobile games either. Think about all that cash you're wasting on stuff that might not even work in the next two iOS updates. Argue all you want about getting all the hottest games, but you know what? I've spent over $1,000+ on iOS apps and I'm honestly tired of it. It's not that I don't like my iOS devices, but it's like an expensive hobby, and you've just proved that with this list that has a couple $2-10 games and apps.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Yeah, but you know what? People on Google Play aren't blowing $500 on mobile games either. Think about all that cash you're wasting on stuff that might not even work in the next two iOS updates. Argue all you want about getting all the hottest games, but you know what? I've spent over $1,000+ on iOS apps and I'm honestly tired of it. It's not that I don't like my iOS devices, but it's like an expensive hobby, and you've just proved that with this list that has a couple $2-10 games and apps.

Damn, do you buy anything and everything that catches your eye? I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money on apps.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

----------

Android does have a large collection of games, just not as large as iOS's. The sentence I bolded is IMO incorrect. Windows has more games than OS X, but does that make it superior? It depends on the user. People like iOS and Android for different reasons.

There are many apps in the Play Store that don't exist in the App Store. Eg. tasker is one of them.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Also, just because the app/games is available on Android and the Google Play store, doesn't mean it'll run on your Android device.

I have an android tablet and android phone. Tablet running ICS and phone running gingerbread. What works and what doesn't.

Just some game examples.

NBA Jam
tablet - YES
phone - NO

MADDEN NFL 12
tablet - NO
phone - YES

FIFA 12
tablet - YES
phone - NO

Plants vs. Zombies
tablet - NO
phone - YES

TETRIS
tablet - NO
phone - NO

Worms
tablet - NO
phone - YES

Need for Speed™ Hot Pursuit
tablet - NO
phone - NO

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 12
tablet - YES
phone - NO

Asphalt 6: Adrenaline
tablet - NO
phone - NO

N.O.V.A. 2
tablet - NO
phone - NO

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
some of the games on your list I have seen in the play store and I am pretty sure I have a few of them I bought. Mind you they are not on my phone right now because meh I do not play them so saving space and not junking up my app draw.

I could point out utility apps that would be useful that android has and there is no iPhone equilitlent. And no these are not hardware apps.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

The list of apps can be made vice versa. There is plenty of quality Andriod only apps in the Play Store.

Reasons why iOS has the bigger app store and why some apps release on iOS first. Money talks, and the iPhone has been the universal flagship smartphone and a household name since release. But things have been changing very rapidly. And for the first time with Jellybean, Android's default apps and features out weight iOS.

Also, cross platform apps usually don't vary much in quality between iOS and Android. You'll find a small number of cross platform apps which are better quality on either platform, but in general most are basically the same quality.

Then you have all the Android apps that will never make it to iOS due to Apple's restrictions on iOS and the AppStore. It fair to say Android actually has much more options. So there goes your superior software theory. ;)

And that's exactly what iOS is, an app player. Android is also an app player but that's not where Android stops at. Can you set default apps? Hide apps? Disable apps from using data? And etc, etc, etc? You might not care about these things, just as other don't care about the game list you posted.

Software is just as important as hardware, if not more. Which is why the Zune HD failed, despite it having superior hardware to the iPod Touch. It had a better screen, and the best GPU of any mobile device at the time. But it wasn't enough. Content

If you think Android doesn't have enough content for you, then like I said earlier, enjoy your iPhone. But to make an assumption that the general quality and quantity of apps for Android is low....... Thats completely false.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Also, just because the app/games is available on Android and the Google Play store, doesn't mean it'll run on your Android device.

I have an android tablet and android phone. Tablet running ICS and phone running gingerbread. What works and what doesn't.

Just some game examples.

NBA Jam
tablet - YES
phone - NO

MADDEN NFL 12
tablet - NO
phone - YES

FIFA 12
tablet - YES
phone - NO

Plants vs. Zombies
tablet - NO
phone - YES

TETRIS
tablet - NO
phone - NO

Worms
tablet - NO
phone - YES

tablet - NO
phone - NO

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 12
tablet - YES
phone - NO

tablet - NO
phone - NO

N.O.V.A. 2
tablet - NO
phone - NO

I feel like I've seen this post elsewhere. Deja Vu!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
LOL, ....well hey, im not a teenager so i only have like 4 or 5 games on my phone because i dont hardly play any. Some of those games it is ridiculous to try and play on a phone....like GTA or Madden.

I dont know...if i really wanted to play games, id just use the Xbox. Not like the Vita or whatever that is called that replaced the PSP is doing very well. The games i do have are just to pass time here and there.

----------

Just some game examples.

NBA Jam
tablet - YES
phone - NO

MADDEN NFL 12
tablet - NO
phone - YES

FIFA 12
tablet - YES
phone - NO

Plants vs. Zombies
tablet - NO
phone - YES

TETRIS
tablet - NO
phone - NO

Worms
tablet - NO
phone - YES

tablet - NO
phone - NO

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 12
tablet - YES
phone - NO

tablet - NO
phone - NO

N.O.V.A. 2
tablet - NO
phone - NO
Pretty sure Need for speed is on Android for the phone(i dont have a tablet)

EDIT, just checked, there are 3 of them and one is Hot Pursuit.
So is NBA Jam and Asphalt 6: Adrenaline and FIFA 12.

Obviously you havent looked very hard and im sure there are probably more. I actually only looked up those i mentioned. Havent went down your whole list.

Last edited:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

----------

If mobile gaming is really important to you and you want to actually play a game, instead of trying to tap on a tiny little screen and "hoping" you tap on the right spot, why in the world would you pick an iphone?
Let's say you want to play Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies, Dead Trigger, Modern Combat 3, NOVA 3, Shadowgun: Deadzone, Mario Kart, CHAOS, Contract Killer, Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto III, Real Racing 2, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, or any old PS1 or NES/SNES game, you really find it enjoyable to tap all over the screen and obscure your vision with your hand? Personally, I prefer playing with my PS3 or XBox controller wirelessly. If I want to hook my S3 up to a 50" hdtv, its a piece of cake. No Apple TV hook up required. I also can't understand being a gamer and then stuck with the iphone itty, bitty little screen?

You also talked about productivity. Well, when it comes to music and art productivity apps, Apple has that market cornered. If you want to talk business or school productivity apps, Android is better. Why? Android allows for both BT keyboards and mice. Android works perfectly in either touch or regular computer mode. As soon as a mouse is detected, a nice arrow pointer pops up on screen and works exactly like a pc. Plus, Word, Excel and Powerpoint are all available via OfficeSuit app. And nice features like being able to play a video in PiP mode while giving a powerpoint presentation, or surfing the web is a nice bonus.

Apple devices have their pluses, but working well outside of the Apple ecosystem is not one of them. And being able to access usb drive data, thumb drives, use a mouse or game controller, work on any hdtv, etc really limits an iDevice.

I am sure the iphone an ipad are great for you and your needs, but I can't believe you world prefer to tap all over a screen to play a FPS type game over using a controller. That just doesn't make any sense.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Pretty sure Need for speed is on Android.

EDIT, just checked, there are 3 of them and one is Hot Pursuit.
So is NBA Jam and Asphalt 6: Adrenaline and FIFA 12.

Obviously you havent looked very hard and im sure there are probably more. I actually only looked up those i mentioned. Havent went down your whole list.

Obviously you didn't bother to read what I wrote.

Everything I've listed is on the Google Play Store.

"just because the app/games is available on Android and the Google Play store, doesn't mean it'll run on your Android device."

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
IMO, gaming on the iPhone sucks and in general, the games on iOS are low quality, repetitive, and "freemium" that takes all the fun out. I know because I have an iPhone. I've basically stopped downloading games on iOS because I've seen it all and it keeps getting repeated.

If you want to compare apps, iOS sucks for spreadsheets. There is so much more choice on Android if you want to be productive.

Please name Android games that are better than iOS games. And please name Android productivity apps that do things that you can't do on iOS.

If you're going to make statements like that, give some kind of data to back it up.

----------

Software is indeed more important. That's why Jelly Bean 4.2 rules iOS 6. :D

How so? I'm genuinely curious.

----------

If mobile gaming is really important to you and you want to actually play a game, instead of trying to tap on a tiny little screen and "hoping" you tap on the right spot, why in the world would you pick an iphone?
Let's say you want to play Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies, Dead Trigger, Modern Combat 3, NOVA 3, Shadowgun: Deadzone, Mario Kart, CHAOS, Contract Killer, Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto III, Real Racing 2, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, or any old PS1 or NES/SNES game, you really find it enjoyable to tap all over the screen and obscure your vision with your hand? Personally, I prefer playing with my PS3 or XBox controller wirelessly. If I want to hook my S3 up to a 50" hdtv, its a piece of cake. No Apple TV hook up required. I also can't understand being a gamer and then stuck with the iphone itty, bitty little screen?

You also talked about productivity. Well, when it comes to music and art productivity apps, Apple has that market cornered. If you want to talk business or school productivity apps, Android is better. Why? Android allows for both BT keyboards and mice. Android works perfectly in either touch or regular computer mode. As soon as a mouse is detected, a nice arrow pointer pops up on screen and works exactly like a pc. Plus, Word, Excel and Powerpoint are all available via OfficeSuit app. And nice features like being able to play a video in PiP mode while giving a powerpoint presentation, or surfing the web is a nice bonus.

Apple devices have their pluses, but working well outside of the Apple ecosystem is not one of them. And being able to access usb drive data, thumb drives, use a mouse or game controller, work on any hdtv, etc really limits an iDevice.

I am sure the iphone an ipad are great for you and your needs, but I can't believe you world prefer to tap all over a screen to play a FPS type game over using a controller. That just doesn't make any sense.

I don't know what world you live in where people give powerpoint presentations on their phone, and hook up full keyboards and mouse to their phones. I've never seen that. I think I would have to try pretty hard not to laugh out loud at the sight of someone using a keyboard and mouse while looking at a 4" screen.

Besides, bluetooth devices are supported by iOS, which includes keyboards and mouse. Not sure what gave you the idea that it doesn't.

You should prove your point anyways, by making a list of android productivity apps that arent available for iOS.

----------

LOL, ....well hey, im not a teenager so i only have like 4 or 5 games on my phone because i dont hardly play any. Some of those games it is ridiculous to try and play on a phone....like GTA or Madden.

Yeah it's so ridiculous that GTA Chinatown Wars was one of the DS highest selling games, which had a much smaller screen than iOS devices.

iOS has way more to offer as far as music, art, and education apps too, which are genres that aren't just for kids.

----------

Reasons why iOS has the bigger app store and why some apps release on iOS first.

Who cares about what app store has the highest quantity of apps? They both have an insane amount. Its about what app store has the best apps.

Try making a list of android apps that are rated 4 stars or higher than arent on iOS and see if its even half as long as my list.

----------

Pretty much any launcher, any keyboard, any widget and Google Maps.

Google is already almost finished making the Maps app for iOS, and should be released next wed. Thank God!

What do you mean by keyboard?

And if I want widgets to kill my battery life, and eat up my RAM and CPU for something i'll never use, I can jailbreak and get all the useless Widgets I want.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.