Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
And this is coming from someone who just retired their iPad 1. The display is PERFECT. There is NO blacklight bleed, no dead pixels, and the colors all look perfect, just like my iPhone 5. Performance is rockin', and while the OS as a whole is smooth as butter, everything from websites rendering to photo editing apps are about x10 faster then the iPad 3 (used my mother's iPad before deciding to upgrade).

Then..I saw the Mini. I laughed. The A5 is alot slower, the screen is laughable, and I read about the 512MB of RAM, which doesn't future proof the Mini at all.

If you are looking for power, and a big beautiful display, the iPad 4 is the way to go. Happy with my purchase!

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I wish everyone made a post every time they were satisfied with something they just bought. :rolleyes:

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I wish everyone made a post every time they were satisfied with something they just bought. :rolleyes:
Well, you did read it, then click it, then choose to even comment on it. If it bothers you, the back button is a click away.

----------

Have both, love both. Mini primarily to check emails and simple stuff. Love the form factor.

Agree. I wish all the internals of the 4 were in the mini, then I would be sold.

DaReaper

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2008
I haven't had a chance to check out the iPad 4 but I got my mini today. I love it, I'm replying to your post with it.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
returning the mini after trying to love it for 2 weeks, and I do love its size but my eyes are really tired switching between retina (iPad 3, iPhone 5, RMBP) and non-retina...

so iPad 4 here I come!

----------

Again, different devices for different purposes. I'm much happier pulling the mini out when commuting (saves me carrying a bag around) than the 4. They are both good devices in their own rights.

I find mini is a lot more discrete and the size is perfect... only if Apple didn't put that bloody screen on such a nice device...

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
And this is coming from someone who just retired their iPad 1. The display is PERFECT. There is NO blacklight bleed, no dead pixels, and the colors all look perfect, just like my iPhone 5. Performance is rockin', and while the OS as a whole is smooth as butter, everything from websites rendering to photo editing apps are about x10 faster then the iPad 3 (used my mother's iPad before deciding to upgrade).

Then..I saw the Mini. I laughed. The A5 is alot slower, the screen is laughable, and I read about the 512MB of RAM, which doesn't future proof the Mini at all.

If you are looking for power, and a big beautiful display, the iPad 4 is the way to go. Happy with my purchase!

really? I hope iPad 5 will be THINEST I can wait until March/April 2013. :apple:

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I don't think I can give up my iPad 3 and replace it with an iPad mini. They can both compliment each other nicely. I like both form factors equally. An iPad mini is in the cards, but I can afford to wait and see what the mini 2 brings.

The iPad 3 does not feel slow, has retina display, does everything I ask of it. As for the issue with weight and oddity with holding it in my hands I did get a Targus Versavue case which made it so much more easier to handle and didn't mind the extra weight.

cang87

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012

I think you should cry instead of laughing when you realize the weight of mini is half way less than the 4. Of course 4 is very powerful device compared to the Mini, but even when comparing and laughing about the differances, you miss or don't want to see the better points of Mini. Which has more buying power than iPad 4 for sure! At least till now..

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Nice to hear that you are happy with your decision. A few days ago I was in the Apple Store trying out the iPad mini, and when I saw the screen, I immediately decided that I would not buy it. As someone who is used to using the retina display on the iPad 3, I just couldn't bear the quality of the iPad mini's display. I am extremely happy with my iPad 3, haven't found a reason to upgrade to the latest generation, but it will be a huge improvement for people like you who upgraded from iPad 1. Enjoy your new iPad :D

Tokes Green

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Here, there, and everywhere.
returning the mini after trying to love it for 2 weeks, and I do love its size but my eyes are really tired switching between retina (iPad 3, iPhone 5, RMBP) and non-retina...

so iPad 4 here I come!

----------

I find mini is a lot more discrete and the size is perfect... only if Apple didn't put that bloody screen on such a nice device...

I'll be getting a retina mini for sure, but the screen is not an issue for me - I love retina, but it didn't effect my purchase decision. I bought the mini purely for the portability and weight of it, great little device to have around, and now we have two :)

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Sold my iPad 3 a few moths back having decided on a Mini when it was released. Received the Mini on release day and was so disappointed that I boxed it up within the hour and went to my local store and bought an iPad 4. Never looked back. The Mini screen quality is just a killer for me. That and the fact that both the units I received had debris under the screen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The bottom line is you bought a device that best suits your needs, that's great you found one and didn't compromise.

Conversely the mini for me is a better fit for my needs, the bottom line. One size does not fit all.

Congrats on your new iPad :)

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
I think you should cry instead of laughing when you realize the weight of mini is half way less than the 4. Of course 4 is very powerful device compared to the Mini, but even when comparing and laughing about the differances, you miss or don't want to see the better points of Mini. Which has more buying power than iPad 4 for sure! At least till now..

The iPad 4 is barely 0.80 pound heavier. Your case is likely to add as much in weight. If lifting 1.44 pounds makes you cry, I hope for your sake you never get drafted.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
I haven't decided yet which way I'll go, iPad mini or iPad 4. But reading all the negative posts about the non-retina display of the iPad mini, I think I might go with the iPad 4. My parents have the iPad 2 and I have a MacBook Air. I don't know if I really need an iPad, but I am using my parents iPad 2 for some time and I like it very much. I will decide by the end of november, because I would like to have an iPad with cellular.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
serious question, what kind of future proof are you looking for? I would say about 90% of the people who bought a mini will buy the new version next year. It is future proof enough to last a year, and that is all I personally care about.

If you upgrade yearly, the mini actually makes perfect sense b.c you could buy 2 of them for almost the price of an ipad 4.

I own both right now, but the more I use the mini the more I like it. At first I could not get past the screen, but using a difference browser definitely helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.