Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:51 AM   #26
ppone
macrumors regular

To me the speed and retina was a greater motivator than size.
ppone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:00 AM   #27
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Geez!

I am so happy with the mini that I am glad I did not spend extra money on the iPad 4.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:03 AM   #28
phr0ze
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppone View Post
To me the speed and retina was a greater motivator than size.
I just don't really notice much difference in speed. Most games are set to run at a particular speed. Videos are too. Flipping pages in a book? or app launch is all I really see. But how important is that?
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:33 AM   #29
nishishei
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
I just don't really notice much difference in speed. Most games are set to run at a particular speed. Videos are too. Flipping pages in a book? or app launch is all I really see. But how important is that?
Believe it or not, a lot of people use their iPads for reading books, including thousand page textbooks. And surfing the net is MUCH faster on the iPad 4. It's almost desktop speed.
nishishei is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:52 AM   #30
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOfChaos View Post
everything from websites rendering to photo editing apps are about x10 faster then the iPad 3 (used my mother's iPad before deciding to upgrade).
Congratulations on having _by far_ the worlds fastest iPad 4 ...

knucklehead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:56 AM   #31
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well, you did read it, then click it, then choose to even comment on it. If it bothers you, the back button is a click away.

----------

I'm thinking of making this my signature....lol awesome thank you.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 AM   #32
layziegtp
macrumors regular

This forum is only for people that are UNHAPPY with their apple products and need a soapbox to complain.
layziegtp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:28 AM   #33
Semp1
macrumors newbie

Have the ipad3 and ipad mini. Both are great. I actually use the mini a lot now. Much easier to hold and lounge around. I always felt the ipad was way too heavy. Always had to kind of rest it on my arm while holding it. Yes the mini's screen does take a little getting used to after using a retina for so long but it does not bother me really. All the other advantages the mini has are worth the screen sacrifice for now.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:41 AM   #34
akm3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsford View Post
I wish everyone made a post every time they were satisfied with something they just bought.
I actually appreciate it, because all you ever hear are problems and whining, so sometimes you don't know if a product is actually good or not.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:46 PM   #35
mireille
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by layziegtp View Post
This forum is only for people that are UNHAPPY with their apple products and need a soapbox to complain.
No, this forum is about people who are happy with the mini and NOT in support of other devices (even another ipad). :lol:
mireille is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:51 PM   #36
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
And this is coming from someone who just retired their iPad 1. The display is PERFECT. There is NO blacklight bleed, no dead pixels, and the colors all look perfect, just like my iPhone 5. Performance is rockin', and while the OS as a whole is smooth as butter, everything from websites rendering to photo editing apps are about x10 faster then the iPad 3 (used my mother's iPad before deciding to upgrade).

Then..I saw the Mini. I laughed. The A5 is alot slower, the screen is laughable, and I read about the 512MB of RAM, which doesn't future proof the Mini at all.

If you are looking for power, and a big beautiful display, the iPad 4 is the way to go. Happy with my purchase!
There is no such thing as future proof...

Glad you felt the need to justify your purchase by trash talking the ENTRY LEVEL product.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:15 PM   #37
TJ5921
macrumors regular

My iPad Mini is perfect, SO GLAD I didn't get the 4!
TJ5921 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:45 PM   #38
j.applewood
macrumors member

Question So you're all speaking from personal preference... but...

I have never owned an iPad and don't have a laptop (I do own an iMac and a iPhone 4S). I would be using the iPad essentially INSTEAD of a laptop. I am SO TORN on whether to get the iPad Mini or 4th Gen iPad. I've gone into the Apple store and have held both and my thoughts are:

iPad Mini -
LOVE the form factor and the thinner bevel, I like that it's super light, and the screen resolution didn't bother me too much while in the store

iPad fourth gen -
Feels heavy (never thought I'd say that about an iPad, ever) compared to the Mini but it's still SO awesome, the retina display kicks @$$

I'm worried I will feel outdated pretty quickly if I go with the Mini (it basically already is outdated, for that matter). Also, I'm not sure if the lower resolution on the Mini will bother me long term. I've read reviews on both sides of the fence (ie, SO GLAD I BOUGHT THE MINI, and also, NEVER WOULD BUY A MINI).

What. To. Do.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:57 PM   #39
radioking
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.applewood View Post
I have never owned an iPad and don't have a laptop (I do own an iMac and a iPhone 4S). I would be using the iPad essentially INSTEAD of a laptop. I am SO TORN on whether to get the iPad Mini or 4th Gen iPad. I've gone into the Apple store and have held both and my thoughts are:

iPad Mini -
LOVE the form factor and the thinner bevel, I like that it's super light, and the screen resolution didn't bother me too much while in the store

iPad fourth gen -
Feels heavy (never thought I'd say that about an iPad, ever) compared to the Mini but it's still SO awesome, the retina display kicks @$$

I'm worried I will feel outdated pretty quickly if I go with the Mini (it basically already is outdated, for that matter). Also, I'm not sure if the lower resolution on the Mini will bother me long term. I've read reviews on both sides of the fence (ie, SO GLAD I BOUGHT THE MINI, and also, NEVER WOULD BUY A MINI).

What. To. Do.
I'd recommend the 4 if it is going to be your primary device and the Mini if it is a companion device. I just returned a Mini for the 4 because it is going to replace my laptop for the most part. It's much better for browsing the web because of the screen (size and resolution) and it also loads webpages noticeably faster.
radioking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:29 PM   #40
ANMA dojo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxenofontos View Post
mini screen is a backdown....
I am sure retina ipad mini will sell really well next year
yes, because the current gen ipad minis are just picking up dust in the shelves and warehouses right now
ANMA dojo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:13 PM   #41
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
serious question, what kind of future proof are you looking for? I would say about 90% of the people who bought a mini will buy the new version next year. It is future proof enough to last a year, and that is all I personally care about.

If you upgrade yearly, the mini actually makes perfect sense b.c you could buy 2 of them for almost the price of an ipad 4.

I own both right now, but the more I use the mini the more I like it. At first I could not get past the screen, but using a difference browser definitely helps.
That is the thing, I don't upgrade every year. I just came from the very first iPad. I tend to use the device until it doesn't perform or do what I want it to do. For a device that is almost 3 years old, and has made it this long, I call that purchase 'future proof'.

I knew it was time for an upgrade, though. The A6X will hold me into 3 releases of iOS then it will be time to shop around again. Rinse, wash, repeat.
DayOfChaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:25 PM   #42
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
I'm thinking of making this my signature....lol awesome thank you.
I would be honored.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:41 PM   #43
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
That is the thing, I don't upgrade every year. I just came from the very first iPad. I tend to use the device until it doesn't perform or do what I want it to do. For a device that is almost 3 years old, and has made it this long, I call that purchase 'future proof'.

I knew it was time for an upgrade, though. The A6X will hold me into 3 releases of iOS then it will be time to shop around again. Rinse, wash, repeat.
Agreed. That is why the iPad 4 and mini appeal to different people. At $329, I consider it pretty disposable.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:23 PM   #44
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badrottie View Post
really? I hope iPad 5 will be THINEST I can wait until March/April 2013.
I seriously doubt the next iPad will come out in march/april. They only released it in october so that they could move the release cycle to that month permanently imo.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:39 PM   #45
aleni
macrumors 68000

well at least i have my slower mini everywhere, oh and where's your ipad 4? oh it's being left at home because it's too big and cumbersome to bring it everywhere. LOL
aleni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:08 PM   #46
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleni View Post
well at least i have my slower mini everywhere, oh and where's your ipad 4? oh it's being left at home because it's too big and cumbersome to bring it everywhere. LOL
How old are you, 5? I take my iPad everywhere. I love the size, hence why I didn't get the Mini.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:27 PM   #47
falconeight

I've never had the start a thread about how much more I like my mini than my gigantic brick ipad 3.
falconeight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:54 PM   #48
AlanKA
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plucky duck View Post
The iPad 3 does not feel slow, has retina display, does everything I ask of it.
Agree completely. I've seen them both side by side. The iPad 4 is awesome, but the "10 time faster" stuff is pretty ridiculous. I contemplated upgrading from the 3....but it's just not worth it, especially since I'm getting a mini tomorrow!
AlanKA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:02 AM   #49
53kyle
macrumors 6502a

I am still using an ipad 2 3g, which is still good enough for me. I can still enjoy a retina display on my iPod touch 5th gen, but I am thinking about ipad 4 for a better battery, better display, better camera, better processor, better ram, better 4g, and new connector (so I don't have to switch cables to charge my ipad instead of iPod)
 Red iPod Touch 5th Gen, 32 GB;
53kyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:14 AM   #50
businezguy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.applewood View Post

iPad Mini -

iPad fourth gen -

What. To. Do.
My advice is to go for the iPad 4. You are looking for a device you can use instead of a laptop and the iPad 4 seems to be great for that. I'm using one right now with a logitech slim keyboard and I have no regrets. The keyboard might be a bit cramped, but the convenience vs. my laptop makes it well worth it.

The iPad Mini is just too small, in my opinion, to hold up as a laptop replacement. Also the quality of the screen is just not the same. Keep in mind the iPad 4 is also a faster, more future proof device.
businezguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad