Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
I want to buy someone an iP5 as a christmas present. can i pick it up (full price) from the retail store, or do I have to order online from the apple store & wait the 2-3 weeks?

I know you couldn't get one like that on launch day but it's been almost 2 months.

Thanks

anonjd

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2012
I want to buy someone an iP5 as a christmas present. can i pick it up (full price) from the retail store, or do I have to order online from the apple store & wait the 2-3 weeks?

I know you couldn't get one like that on launch day but it's been almost 2 months.

Thanks

None of the Apple retail stores will sell you a factory unlocked iPhone yet, unfortunately.

No one really knows when/if they'll sell factory unlocked iPhones at the retail locations. Personally, I think they'll continue to only sell locked iPhones in stores, and factory unlocked iPhones online.

My suggestion would be to order one online, so you know you'll have it by Christmas, instead of waiting out to see if they start selling them in stores.

touchu4g

macrumors member
May 19, 2012
None of the Apple retail stores will sell you a factory unlocked iPhone yet, unfortunately.

No one really knows when/if they'll sell factory unlocked iPhones at the retail locations. Personally, I think they'll continue to only sell locked iPhones in stores, and factory unlocked iPhones online.

My suggestion would be to order one online, so you know you'll have it by Christmas, instead of waiting out to see if they start selling them in stores.

That's in the US. In Canada, if you find an iPhone 5 in the Apple Store, it'll be factory unlocked. My father bought an iPhone 5 from the Apple Store and it's unlocked. In the US, from what I believe, there are 3 versions of the iPhone 5. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. Those are locked.

anonjd

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2012
That's in the US. In Canada, if you find an iPhone 5 in the Apple Store, it'll be factory unlocked. My father bought an iPhone 5 from the Apple Store and it's unlocked. In the US, from what I believe, there are 3 versions of the iPhone 5. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. Those are locked.

A lot of people are saying that. I went to an Apple store and asked if I could get an iPhone 5, and explained that I wanted to pay the full retail price, and not renew my contract. The person said that they currently don't sell factory unlocked iPhone 5s in the store, and that I could only get one that is locked to a carrier of my choice.

Some people have said if you buy one full price, all you have to do is restore it in iTunes and it will give you a notification that it is unlocked.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I heard that this year they are only selling the unlocked ones online in Canada now.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Incase anyone cares or needs to know. You cannot buy an unlocked iPhone 5 in store, only online.

You can however buy a 4, or 4s unlocked in stores. Pretty stupid if you ask me, but I guess they want to curb people buying them and selling them for profit.

I asked if the 5 would be available unlocked in store anytime soon, and she said she didn't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.