Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13, 2015, 12:18 AM   #1
Jeramiah
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
1/4" Black Border Around Monitor

Hi: I have a Mid 2012 13" MBA (2 GHz Intel Core i7/ 8Gig Ram) running Yosemite with an external Dell Ultra Sharp U2715H 2560x1440 monitor. Everything is working fine but there's a 1/4" border around the outside of the LCD that shouldn't be there. I'm not talking about the monitor's black plastic bezel, but an area of black space that should be an active part of the LCD (see attached picture.) I spoke with Dell and they confirmed the LCD should be active all the way to the bezel. They also said the problem is probably with my graphics card which is an Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 1024 MB.

I can live with this, but it would be nice to get the LCD to fire edge to edge and top to bottom. Does anyone have any suggestions beyond resetting the PRAM? Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark Margin.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	738.2 KB
ID:	551597  
Jeramiah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015, 12:23 AM   #2
motrek
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeramiah View Post
Hi: I have a Mid 2012 13" MBA (2 GHz Intel Core i7/ 8Gig Ram) running Yosemite with an external Dell Ultra Sharp U2715H 2560x1440 monitor. Everything is working fine but there's a 1/4" border around the outside of the LCD that shouldn't be there. I'm not talking about the monitor's black plastic bezel, but an area of black space that should be an active part of the LCD (see attached picture.) I spoke with Dell and they confirmed the LCD should be active all the way to the bezel. They also said the problem is probably with my graphics card which is an Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 1024 MB.

I can live with this, but it would be nice to get the LCD to fire edge to edge and top to bottom. Does anyone have any suggestions beyond resetting the PRAM? Thanks for the help.
Check out your display preferences and see if you can adjust the underscan. It seems like this might have inadvertently been activated.
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015, 12:29 AM   #3
Jeramiah
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Check out your display preferences and see if you can adjust the underscan. It seems like this might have inadvertently been activated.
Thx Motrek for replying so quickly but the display settings in Yosemite do not offer a scanning adjustment for an external monitor.
Jeramiah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015, 12:17 PM   #4
motrek
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeramiah View Post
Thx Motrek for replying so quickly but the display settings in Yosemite do not offer a scanning adjustment for an external monitor.
It does, but not for all monitors.

Looking closer at your picture, the black part outside of the menu bar clearly isn't part of the LCD panel. There's no backlight bleed through it, so it's just black plastic.
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015, 12:43 AM   #5
Jeramiah
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Ok Motrek you're right, that area I'm trying to fix is just part of the monitor. Thx for setting me straight on this.
Jeramiah is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC