Receiving iMessages from blocked people on my laptop - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:19 PM   #1
jjukebox12
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Receiving iMessages from blocked people on my laptop

Good morning, well at least here in California.

I basically signed up for the forums just to ask this question. So when someone iMessages me on my iPhone, the message will be pushed to my Messages app on my macbook air, so I have the option of sending iMessages from my laptop rather then my phone, I'm sure most of you knew this.

But I blocked several people on my iPhone, and I can tell they still message me because their messages pop on on my Messages app on my macbook. But of course it doesn't pop up on my iPhone as they're blocked.

So is there a way just to completely disconnect the Messages app between my macbook and iPhone, so I don't receive any messages at all? Or a way to synch my block lists so I don't see any messages at all on my macbook air from the people I blocked? I'm obviously new to using a Macbook.

Thanks in advanced.
jjukebox12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:46 PM   #2
kage207
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjukebox12 View Post
Good morning, well at least here in California.

I basically signed up for the forums just to ask this question. So when someone iMessages me on my iPhone, the message will be pushed to my Messages app on my macbook air, so I have the option of sending iMessages from my laptop rather then my phone, I'm sure most of you knew this.

But I blocked several people on my iPhone, and I can tell they still message me because their messages pop on on my Messages app on my macbook. But of course it doesn't pop up on my iPhone as they're blocked.

So is there a way just to completely disconnect the Messages app between my macbook and iPhone, so I don't receive any messages at all? Or a way to synch my block lists so I don't see any messages at all on my macbook air from the people I blocked? I'm obviously new to using a Macbook.

Thanks in advanced.
From what I am seeing: http://www.wired.com/2013/09/iphone-call-block-faq/

The answer is no. There is a blocking way to do it on Messages on Mac. Though there is a button under Buddies, though whenever I tried to do it, it was greyed out. :/
__________________
MBA 13", i5 1.8GHz, 8GM RAM, 128GB SSD
These are amazing products that enrich our lives that we see as toys, remember that they are expensive and should be used as tools to reach our dreams~
kage207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Boyd01
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Jersey Pine Barrens
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjukebox12 View Post
So is there a way just to completely disconnect the Messages app between my macbook and iPhone, so I don't receive any messages at all?
I don't think there is any interdependence between your iPhone and MBA. iMessages are delivered directly to the computer over the internet. They are not always consistent in my experience though, messages randomly seem to appear only on the computer, others only on the phone. I think this is just bugginess, not something intentional and it doesn't happen often.

I don't have any blocked senders so I don't know how that works. But if you just want to stop getting all messages on your MBA you can go to the Accounts tab in Preferences inside the Messages app and disable your account.

You might check what you have set there because messages can be sent to your phone number or multiple e-mail addresses. If you're clever, maybe you can use that to block unwanted people. Through icloud you can create several aliases for example. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2622?v...S&locale=en_US

It may be that you have blocked messages from a phone number, but the same person can still send an iMessage to your e-mail address.
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2014, 02:38 AM   #4
jjukebox12
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kage207 View Post
From what I am seeing: http://www.wired.com/2013/09/iphone-call-block-faq/

The answer is no. There is a blocking way to do it on Messages on Mac. Though there is a button under Buddies, though whenever I tried to do it, it was greyed out. :/
Thanks for your reply, and that link! It was a nice read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd01 View Post
I don't think there is any interdependence between your iPhone and MBA. iMessages are delivered directly to the computer over the internet. They are not always consistent in my experience though, messages randomly seem to appear only on the computer, others only on the phone. I think this is just bugginess, not something intentional and it doesn't happen often.

I don't have any blocked senders so I don't know how that works. But if you just want to stop getting all messages on your MBA you can go to the Accounts tab in Preferences inside the Messages app and disable your account.

You might check what you have set there because messages can be sent to your phone number or multiple e-mail addresses. If you're clever, maybe you can use that to block unwanted people. Through icloud you can create several aliases for example. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2622?v...S&locale=en_US

It may be that you have blocked messages from a phone number, but the same person can still send an iMessage to your e-mail address.
Thanks for your reply, extremely helpful. Never though about them responding directly to my e-mail address, yet more to look into! Thanks for that link too by the way.

Last edited by jjukebox12; Apr 13, 2014 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Grammar
jjukebox12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Boyd01
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Jersey Pine Barrens
It gets very confusing. I have a friend in Europe and the way she had iCloud setup initially, I could send iMessages to her EU phone number. Then she visited the US, put a local SIM card in her phone and I could iMessage her at that number too.

When she returned Europe, I couldn't send iMessages to her EU phone anymore, just (expensive international) SMS. Turned out that she had changed the iMessage configuration to only include her e-mail address and not her phone number.
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not receiving iMessages on my Mac sl33t Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Jul 1, 2013 07:10 PM
Receiving iMessages from iPhone and iPad grumpus88 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Jun 5, 2013 05:49 AM
Lag in receiving iMessages. rtomyj iOS 6 2 Oct 5, 2012 04:17 PM
Is someone else receiving my iMessages? MVallee iPhone 4 Oct 1, 2012 08:44 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC