Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Franny4321
macrumors member

Please help-mac mail problems

I know this is a problem posted before and I have read the threads but things have gotten worse. Mail keeps asking for correct password constantly. After reading the threads and trying the solutions, nothing is working. Asking for password and never connecting. Here are the things I have done-cleared keychain access to the best of my ability, deleted the account twice and set it back up twice, went onto another computer and changed my password and deleted the account again and re-entered using new password. Still never connecting-just saying password is incorrect. I am sure I am entering the password correctly. I need to access my emails today, for I am expecting an important one. Please help. I will go back to entering my password 20 times a day IF I can get emails. Thank you in advance for your help.
Franny4321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

Something to try:

Open "Keychain Access" (in the utilities folder).

DELETE any keychain items pertaining to your email provider (POP, SMTP, etc.).

Re-open Mail.app and try again (you will need to re-enter passwords).

Another thing to try:

If your email account is through ATT or/and "yahoo.com", try calling tech support and ask if they have your "port 25" blocked. If so, request that it be UN-blocked.

IMPORTANT: if they try to sell you a monthly tech support charge, politely say NO and hang up.

Another thing to try:

Download the free "Thunderbird" app, which also has email. Set it up and try email again. Probably will work much better than Mail.app regarding the password problems.

There are other, 3rd-party email apps out there that will work, too.

For some reason, Apple's Mail.app has "password problems" with some ISP's and providers. I sense this is due to something about the way Mail.app and keychain interact.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Franny4321
macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions. I finally got a new password to work and so far, it is helping. After getting the password to work though, my email friends, etc. are getting the emails I don't send. I am not making much sense this morning, but I guess I am saying my email has been hacked. Could that be the problem to begin with? I have changed my password again, and no complaints from friends yet.
Franny4321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help