Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:16 PM   #1
2contagious
macrumors 6502a

Frustrated with Apple's screens

Hi everyone,

I have sold my old 17" MacBook Pro and was going to buy the 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Well, I did, but the first one had speaker issues, the second one had an LG screen with Image Retention, and the replacement screen I got was a Samsung without Image Retention, but a massive yellow tinge towards the bottom of the screen. I have since returned the Retina MBP and ordered a 15" Anti-Glare MacBook Pro instead. It's not really the product I wanted, but what the heck Only problem is that this screen has

- backlight bleeding
- the "standard" two dark lines in the backlight when the system heats up (e.g. playing a game or watching a movie) I've seen this happen on every single MBP except the Retina MBP...
- general non-uniformity (I can see dark lines in the backlight in grey backgrounds, e.g. using Lightroom, Photoshop etc.)

Then again.. why am I surprised? The non-Retina MBP has a TN panel Either way, I really don't know what to do. I know I am picky about screen issues (I'm a photographer and graphic designer), but I really need something good. The product I really wanted was the Retina MBP, but all these issues are just making me frustrated...

-2c
2contagious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:30 AM   #2
jdeal65
macrumors newbie

Apple no longer cares about quality

Sorry to hear that you are having terrible luck with Apple's disregard for quality control. It's a matter of time that reports about display issues on the new iMacs will start flooding the blogs.

I'm in the market for a new computer, and thought about the 2 models that you went through. Forget it. I will wait for the Mac Pro to be updated in 2013, and then get a quality 3rd party display. Meanwhile, my Mac Mini(2010) + 20" Apple Cinema display from 2005 will hold me over. That was the best display ever made by Apple-a long lasting workhorse. Best of luck to you.
jdeal65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:51 AM   #3
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Wow that's the 1st I've heard of it, the 3 MBP's I've had have all had perfect screens, with 172/172 viewing angles.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice