Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:54 PM   #1
kingofkind
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Ripping Blu-ray to iPad 4th gen

I'm about to graduate here this semester and am going to purchase the 4th gen Ipad before I do or get it as a graduation gift. I have about 20-25 bluray movies and a couple blurays of some tv shows that I own that I would like to put on the Ipad. Has anyone here done this with an ipad with retina display? Ive found tutorials online, but it seems like all the ones I come across are for the pre-retina ipads. I just want to know If ripping it to the full 1080p is possible, how big the file size is and what programs you use?

Thanks!
__________________
Mid 2010 13" MBP 2.4 C2D, 1.64TB, 8gb RAM
Iphone 5 16gb, Black/Slate
kingofkind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Speedy Gonzalez
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alligator Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkind View Post
I'm about to graduate here this semester and am going to purchase the 4th gen Ipad before I do or get it as a graduation gift. I have about 20-25 bluray movies and a couple blurays of some tv shows that I own that I would like to put on the Ipad. Has anyone here done this with an ipad with retina display? Ive found tutorials online, but it seems like all the ones I come across are for the pre-retina ipads. I just want to know If ripping it to the full 1080p is possible, how big the file size is and what programs you use?

Thanks!
yes you can backup your blurays with dvdfab blu-ray ripper is free to try for one month so you will have enough time to get all your movies backed up

if you are using intel HD-3000-4000 set encode and recode to intel quicksync it takes 13 min to rip the whole disk to your hard drive on iPad1080PH264 format and the size is from 6 to 9 GB depending on the movie

if you plan on putting those movies on your iPad I recommend the 64GB version but if you just want to stream them from the PC with air video any size is fine
Speedy Gonzalez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:48 PM   #3
unibility
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Yes it is possible. I rip my blu-ray collection for us on my Mac Pro, MacBook Pro retina, MacBook Air, iPad 3, iPad mini and iPhone 5.

I use a program called MakeMKV for MAC. It's really simple. When the file is finished ripping, I use HandBrake and convert them to M4V because iTunes does not accept MKV files. But once finished it works on in iTunes and use can sync it with any device.
unibility is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkind View Post
I'm about to graduate here this semester and am going to purchase the 4th gen Ipad before I do or get it as a graduation gift. I have about 20-25 bluray movies and a couple blurays of some tv shows that I own that I would like to put on the Ipad. Has anyone here done this with an ipad with retina display? Ive found tutorials online, but it seems like all the ones I come across are for the pre-retina ipads. I just want to know If ripping it to the full 1080p is possible, how big the file size is and what programs you use?

Thanks!
As expalined above, you'll want to use the MakeMKV + HandBrake combo.

1, come to the Apple TV forum ( http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100 ) here, where a LOT of threads are dedicated to these questions, unlike here.

2, HandBrake doesn't properly convert native Blu-Ray subtitles: all it can do is burn in the topmost one in the source MKV and that's all. Therefore, if you want to convert more than one subtitle track, let me know and I look up the URL of the thread here at MacRumors where I've posted a full tutorial on properly converting these subs - outside HB.
Menneisyys2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:00 PM   #5
MarkG21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
ditto on the MakeMKV + Handbrake combo.

Also, you'll need an external blu ray reader or writer drive.
MarkG21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:38 PM   #6
D.T.
macrumors 68030
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
FYI, MKV is just a container spec, so the enclosed video/audio streams may not need to be recoded (via Handbrake) ... the file may simply need to be remuxed to a compatible container format (and the superfluous meta data like subtitles omitted). This is assuming you don't actually want to re-encode to a different bitrate, resolutions, etc.!

Just mentioning this because it +much+ faster (90-120 seconds for ~2 hour HD movie) ... my preferred utility is Subler (which also can add meta-data manually or automated).

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31647/subler
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:29 PM   #7
dazz87
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkind View Post
I just want to know If ripping it to the full 1080p is possible, how big the file size is and what programs you use?

Thanks!
Why do you want to do a full rip 1to1 rip which will be 25-40GB per movie........dude it's a 9 inch screen....smh
dazz87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:36 AM   #8
OTACORB
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central, Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post
Why do you want to do a full rip 1to1 rip which will be 25-40GB per movie........dude it's a 9 inch screen....smh
You have clearly not used DVDFab, depending on the length of the movie a 1080p rip will come in well under 5gb and looks GREAT not only on the iPad 3/4, but Apple TV.
__________________
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
MacBook Pro Retina (2013)
Mac Mini (2012)
iPad rMini 32GB White Wifi
OTACORB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:00 AM   #9
dazz87
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post
You have clearly not used DVDFab, depending on the length of the movie a 1080p rip will come in well under 5gb and looks GREAT not only on the iPad 3/4, but Apple TV.
I used dvdfab for all my rip but they are full rip. yeah a 5gb rip should look good on a 9 inch screen, hell a 700MB rip should also look good on the ipad. OP was asking for a full rip not compress
dazz87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:33 PM   #10
kingofkind
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post
I used dvdfab for all my rip but they are full rip. yeah a 5gb rip should look good on a 9 inch screen, hell a 700MB rip should also look good on the ipad. OP was asking for a full rip not compress
Well i was asking if you could keep it at 1080p, yet compress the file to be around 5-7gb or so. I dont want to put a bunch of movies on there, I just want to be able to swap in hi-def movies when im in the mood to watch a movie or a couple episodes when im traveling or have some down time.
__________________
Mid 2010 13" MBP 2.4 C2D, 1.64TB, 8gb RAM
Iphone 5 16gb, Black/Slate
kingofkind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Anti-Lucifer
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I would rip from bluray to the standard 1080p. Size doesn't really matter for home theatre setup. For mobile, I'd compress the 1080p down to 720p or less. Since viewing on my ipad 3, I can tell the compression quality so you don't want to compress too much. But then you will have to ask yourself is the movie worth it? I'd like to watch prometheus in the highest quality possible on the go on my iPad 3 but I don't need the same quality watching "free willy".

I'd rip to max quality so I can share on my ATV, then if I need to bring it with me on my iPad, I'd compress the 1080p rip into a 720p or lesser resolution. And even less if need be to watch on my iphone 5.
Anti-Lucifer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:26 PM   #12
unibility
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post
I would rip from bluray to the standard 1080p. Size doesn't really matter for home theatre setup. For mobile, I'd compress the 1080p down to 720p or less. Since viewing on my ipad 3, I can tell the compression quality so you don't want to compress too much. But then you will have to ask yourself is the movie worth it? I'd like to watch prometheus in the highest quality possible on the go on my iPad 3 but I don't need the same quality watching "free willy".

I'd rip to max quality so I can share on my ATV, then if I need to bring it with me on my iPad, I'd compress the 1080p rip into a 720p or lesser resolution. And even less if need be to watch on my iphone 5.
why go through all the trouble of compressing for all your devices? all my media content are 1080 and works well on my iPad 3, iPad mini and iPhone 5.
unibility is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:18 AM   #13
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post
You have clearly not used DVDFab, depending on the length of the movie a 1080p rip will come in well under 5gb and looks GREAT not only on the iPad 3/4, but Apple TV.
5 GB is a bit too low. Use less compression. Prolly the best is 7-9 Gbytes for a two-hour movie.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:27 AM   #14
lsquare
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
As expalined above, you'll want to use the MakeMKV + HandBrake combo.

1, come to the Apple TV forum ( http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100 ) here, where a LOT of threads are dedicated to these questions, unlike here.

2, HandBrake doesn't properly convert native Blu-Ray subtitles: all it can do is burn in the topmost one in the source MKV and that's all. Therefore, if you want to convert more than one subtitle track, let me know and I look up the URL of the thread here at MacRumors where I've posted a full tutorial on properly converting these subs - outside HB.
I'm not sure if I understand you. How do I add the blu-ray subtitles to the MKV container?
lsquare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:55 AM   #15
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I'm not sure if I understand you. How do I add the blu-ray subtitles to the MKV container?
MakeMKV automatically adds them. However, you'll need to convert them to VobSubs or you'l need to OCR them unless you use It's Playing, which displays native BD subs.

See my writeup at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1469630 : post #22 and #23.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:27 AM   #16
lsquare
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
MakeMKV automatically adds them. However, you'll need to convert them to VobSubs or you'l need to OCR them unless you use It's Playing, which displays native BD subs.

See my writeup at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1469630 : post #22 and #23.
Are there any cons to converting the Blu-ray texts into a different format? I believe what you listed is a DVD subtitle format.
lsquare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:51 AM   #17
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Are there any cons to converting the Blu-ray texts into a different format? I believe what you listed is a DVD subtitle format.
To VobSub: nope.

To anything textual: possible OCR errors (and the take OCR / proofreading takes).
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ripping DVD/Blu-Ray OscarTheGrouch Mac Applications and Mac App Store 8 Aug 1, 2013 01:17 PM
iPad: Streaming Blu Ray Rips to iPad 4th Gen bt22 iPad 6 Feb 8, 2013 10:25 AM
Resolved: How Do I retain 3D when Ripping Blu Ray Macman45 Digital Video 2 Feb 4, 2013 01:18 PM
Ripping 3D blu-ray suitable for ATV. rt241 Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Jan 21, 2013 09:09 AM
Blu Ray ripping - is quality as good as original? Monkeytree Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Aug 17, 2012 12:13 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC