Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:54 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Looking to Boost In-Car Integration of Maps and Siri in iOS 7

Building on yesterday's report describing a "very, very flat" design for iOS 7, 9to5Mac reports that Apple is also looking to make significant improvements to vehicle integration with the next-generation mobile operating system. In particular, Apple is looking at ways to integrate Maps and Siri with the built-in displays increasingly found in cars.
Quote:
According to people familiar with the plans, Apple is working with car makers on updated versions of car center consoles that could attach to iOS devices like the iPhone. Specifically, an iPhone could be plugged into a car and an optimized, redesigned version of Apple Maps will appear on the car's built-in display instead of a proprietary GPS system found in many cars.

Sources have described this as a feature akin to a video-out or mirrored display representation of the iPhone's Maps app onto the bigger screens included with most modern vehicles.
The report's sources warn that the actual integration may take some time to appear given the complexities of negotiating deals with car companies, testing, and required improvements to Apple's services infrastructure, but that the technology supporting the integration is coming as part of iOS 7.

Siri Eyes Free mode
Apple last year announced an "Eyes Free" mode for Siri as part of iOS 6, but it took until February of this year for Chevrolet to become the first car manufacturer to offer the integration with its Spark and Sonic models. A number of manufacturers have, however, committed to support Eyes Free in their vehicles in the future.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Boost In-Car Integration of Maps and Siri in iOS 7
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:56 AM   #2
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping this isn't the "big" feature of iOS 7.
viperGTS is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Ha.. I wouldn't trust maps in a $80k vehicle

matter fact.. not even in a honda fit
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:58 AM   #4
kahkityoong
macrumors regular

Wait for it. All the predictable complaints about maps.
kahkityoong is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

I don't understand why the iphone is on a cradle and the BMW's navigation screen is right above it since I know that newer BMW's have an iPhone dock that is integrated into the arm rest. Discreet and clean. In addtion, the dock allows for integration of Bluetooth, and audio via the BMW Link Application.

I have a '04 ZHP and my iPhone 4 is kept in my bag or glove box hidden from view and without the need of an ugly cradle (my automobile came with Bluetooth and Navigation).

That cradle really undermind's the clean dashboard.

Last edited by Eduardo1971; Apr 30, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
Eduardo1971 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:00 AM   #6
bchery21
macrumors 6502

I'd have to upgrade my car first; the ol' honda prelude wouldn't cut it.
bchery21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:01 AM   #7
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a

What's that iPhone 5 holder the BMW has? I haven't seen any for the 5..
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:02 AM   #8
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

nice m3
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
And then in 3~4 years the plug/design is changed and you are screwed if you want a new iPhone.

I guess really only beneficial to the people who buy new cars every few years.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:02 AM   #10
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Who's vantage point is that picture taken from? It looks like the guy has a second head on his right shoulder and that's whose perspective we're looking from, rather than anyone in the back or the driver's perspective.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Here comes all the Apple map slams.

Integration of devices like the iPhone and iPad to add intelligence to other devices like a car is really cool. Seems obvious, but this could be really cool in 3-5 years as other devices get enhanced by mobile devices. Love it.
Popeye206 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Nimrad
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Ha.. I wouldn't trust maps in a $80k vehicle

matter fact.. not even in a honda fit
I would definitely trust apples apps vs BMWs own maps. Most car maps are waay worse if you haven't noticed.
Nimrad is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:05 AM   #13
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Meh. Not a fan. I got a better idea. Make a car instead!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:06 AM   #14
FirstNTenderbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo1971 View Post
Don't understand why the iphone is on a cradel and the BMW's navigation screen behind it since I know that newer BMW's have an iPhone dock that is integrated into the arm rest. Discreet and clean.

That dock really undermind's the clean dashboard.
That's easy. Marketing. Showing two iconic designs that are instantly recognizable: BMW's propellers and the iPhone's shape, is a much better marketing piece than a phone in an armrest.
FirstNTenderbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:07 AM   #15
Nimrad
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
And then in 3~4 years the plug/design is changed and you are screwed if you want a new iPhone.

I guess really only beneficial to the people who buy new cars every few years.
Wow, you're just unbelievable. 3-4 years? How come? The old 30-pin connector lasted 10 years and then you can get an adapter to the new one.
Nimrad is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:08 AM   #16
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

*yawn* Whenever I hear about car integration I fall asleep. Car companies move way too slowly and the consumer upgrade cycle is way too long and the prices way too high for it to have even the slightest impact on my buying practice. I haven't bought a new car since the original iPhone came out and they're just now considering building in vaguely interesting support in the future. Well, I'm not planning on buying a new car, either, so I guess that's fine?

Cars seem to just now be getting AUX jacks regularly, and I'm pretty sure we were promised those when the iPod was new.
swarmster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:08 AM   #17
The Phazer
macrumors 68020

Complete waste of time and resource given Apple Maps can't and never will work.
The Phazer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:08 AM   #18
RealKrS
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Who's vantage point is that picture taken from? It looks like the guy has a second head on his right shoulder and that's whose perspective we're looking from, rather than anyone in the back or the driver's perspective.
I'd say Shoulder Guy took it?!...
RealKrS is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:08 AM   #19
ArchAndroid
macrumors member

Sorry. I had to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIakZtDmMgo
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:08 AM   #20
tekno
Banned

I think they need to push iOS in these areas to stay important in the digital world outside smartphones. With Android being so open, it seems the natural choice for cars, heating systems, fridges etc etc. for the inevitable digital world.

Apple's insistance on having their software only run on Apple hardware could start to cause problems.
tekno is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:09 AM   #21
psac
macrumors 6502

My audi A6 has integrated Google Maps through a T-mobile 3G connection. Yes, I have to pay for an extra data plan for this, but way more reliable than Apple Maps.

The interface is a little clunky, though, that's where the iphone interface may be more helpful. The voice control for the Audi is horrendous, it makes Siri look like the best voice software ever made. (And maybe it is?)
psac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:09 AM   #22
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryP7 View Post
What's that iPhone 5 holder the BMW has? I haven't seen any for the 5..
I was thinking the exact same thing....looks like a render. I have seen ones that sit in the cup holder, but not one that attaches to the middle
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:10 AM   #23
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

I think car integration is very overrated.

The fact of the matter is that not everyone can afford a new car to use these features. I'm still driving a 1999 POS. Not because I want to but because a new car is completely out of my budget for any time remotely in the future.

And these features will only exist on NEW vehicles. It's not like they can go back and add them to used cars, which is what a lot (if not most) Americans buy.

That being said, I'm afraid most people wouldn't get to use these features until these new vehicles are on the used market. And even then, the question would be if people could even afford the cars that are getting this integration.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:10 AM   #24
newdeal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrad View Post
Wow, you're just unbelievable. 3-4 years? How come? The old 30-pin connector lasted 10 years and then you can get an adapter to the new one.
Not to mention the fact that it will likely be wireless with inductive charging instead of a wire at all. Regardless you can't really get smaller than the new connector anyway so I doubt Apple will switch away to another cable when it comes time it will be totally cable free
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:10 AM   #25
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Id rather have something like android installed on all the cars so you could download whatever apps you wanted and people could make apps to link to ios and other smart phones.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion