Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:08 PM   #51
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWinter View Post
Less of the thermonuclear then, it would appear.
It was an idiotic comment that Steve obviously said in anger - there's no way Apple could do bugger all to stop Android's success (and yes, it is a success).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsWelshy View Post
I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.
Oh shut up and educate yourself on Android and iOS Mr Troll. It is not a stolen OS.

Sorry to be so blunt but it's pathetic.
rmwebs is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:17 PM   #52
Radio
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsWelshy View Post
I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.
How dare you!

Android is far more innovative than iOS 6 is now!

You truly have upset me - I will never ever speak to you again!

Good day sir! [walks away]
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:23 PM   #53
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
Yeah, if he were alive, Steve Jobs might have stroked out seeing Android's market share today. It's playing out a bit like late 80s-early 90s Apple vs Microsoft.
Except this time it's Apple making all the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
There goes $12.5 billion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
What $12.5 billion?
Google paid $12.5 billion to buy Motorola.

It is widely believed Google paid this to secure Motorla's FRAND patents to use them in litigation against Apple (or to counter Apple's litigation against Android OEMs).
CWallace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:25 PM   #54
Belly-laughs
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Belly-laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
It was an idiotic comment that Steve obviously said in anger - there's no way Apple could do bugger all to stop Android's success (and yes, it is a success).

Oh shut up and educate yourself on Android and iOS Mr Troll. It is not a stolen OS.

abusive much? you only think it's pathetic because you think you´re better educated on the subject, but nothing suggests you are.
Belly-laughs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:33 PM   #55
robbyx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastName View Post
First the iPad mini and now this... RIP, Steve. It's all gone wrong down here.
I'm actually selling my third gen iPad to buy a mini instead. I think the mini is an awesome product. I dismissed it at first but once I held it, the full size iPad just seemed needlessly bulky to me. And all the whining about the lack of a Retina display is such needless drama. The screen looks awesome. And since the processor doesn't have to drive a Retina display, it's very snappy. And so light! I'm thoroughly impressed.

As for this latest development in the Apple patent sh@#show, I say great. Lets face it. No one is going to WIN. At this point, settlements are in everyone's best interest. Samsung needs to stop being an ungrateful, entitled b-word and come to the table too. How much money have they made supplying components? Apple has been a great customer. And this is how they repay. Total scum. No morals at all.
robbyx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:36 PM   #56
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly-laughs View Post
abusive much? you only think it's pathetic because you think you´re better educated on the subject, but nothing suggests you are.
That's deep.
dalbir4444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:45 PM   #57
robbyx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWallace View Post
Except this time it's Apple making all the money. .
Exactly! All the market share talk is meaningless. Android phones and tablets are cheaper. So duh. Of course they're going to ultimately win in market share. Who cares?

What's obvious in study after study is that Android users don't spend much on apps, don't shop much online, and don't even access the web nearly as much as iOS users. Anyone can flood the market with cheap knockoffs, but those products clearly aren't building an ecosystem, nor are they making any independent developers rich.

So long as Apple takes the lion's share of mobile profits, the market share talk is just a meaningless distraction.
robbyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:53 PM   #58
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yeah, if he were alive, Steve Jobs might have stroked out seeing Android's market share today. It's playing out a bit like late 80s-early 90s Apple vs Microsoft.
In what way? Apple never had a large market share of desktop computers comparable to what they have in phones and tablets. There's a persistent myth that Apple ruled the computing landscape and Microsoft came along and stole it all away, but that's not what happened.

Even if Apple does lose every last customer to Android (and surveys about customer satisfaction and intent of buyers indicate that that's not an immediate concern) it's already a completely different situation from what we saw with the Mac and Windows in late 80s/early 90s. I don't get what value people derive from making that comparison. The build-the-whole-widget versus many-partner-companies approach that people like to blather on about when it comes to Microsoft's success was completely laid to waste with the iPod. If that model was sure-thing, the Zune should have decimated the iPod and iTunes. Comparing iOS to Android is every bit as pointless. I'm not saying Apple will be king of the world forever, but if they lose out to Android, it won't be because of that.
inkswamp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:17 PM   #59
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post
In what way? Apple never had a large market share of desktop computers comparable to what they have in phones and tablets. There's a persistent myth that Apple ruled the computing landscape and Microsoft came along and stole it all away, but that's not what happened.
In the way that Apple did most of the hard work of creating a beautiful user interface that was perfect for the format (they licensed Xerox's ideas but improved on nearly every single one) and another company strolls along and takes all that hard work, changes it up slightly and calls it by a different name, and then licenses that out to other companies so they can sell "good enough" products cheaper than Apple. Eventually those products outsell Apple's.

Apple is in a much stronger position now, but it does seem like history is repeating itself.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:19 PM   #60
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
You can see it here, in the graphics from a Japanese high school anime story that cast all the phone makers as characters. Motorola is on the far right. Next left is HTC (her HTC wallpaper apron gives it away), then prim Nokia with the cup. Not sure who's next, but then the crazy one with the blaster is Samsung, with LG left of her. The Apple boy is easy.

Attachment 377747

Where do you find this stuff? That picture is just so silly. It's great. On a side note, I'm now debating replacing the cat as an ipad-rest avatar.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:32 PM   #61
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
What $12.5 billion?
The amount Google paid for Motorola.

If Google is forced into an agreement where Apple pays something like $1 per phone to use Motorola's FRAND patents, that would provide only a couple of hundred million a year cash flow, without providing any leverage against Apple's non-FRAND patents. (HTC is rumored to be paying close to $10 to Apple and around $15 to Microsoft per phone.) That is why Google had been trying to enforce its FRAND patents against Apple and Microsoft without going to arbitration to protect Android OEMs.
theBB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:32 PM   #62
TrentS
macrumors 6502

Huh-!?

If they end up merging, they could be named Mapple, or Aortarola.

TrentS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:38 PM   #63
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Nice...

Brilliant. First HTC, now GoogaMoto. Samsung has no chance.

Settle or loose the appeal. Nice moves Bruce. Interesting how this is all coming just after the 1yr ann of SJ's passing?

I'd love to see Tim's Contract.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentS View Post
If they end up merging, they could be named Mapple, or Aortarola.

Aortarola.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:42 PM   #64
iChrist
macrumors 65816

ooohh

oh my. I sure love these patent stories. They are all so different and interesting

Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:45 PM   #65
theinsider
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post

I'm going to chime in here, not to say Android is a stolen OS, but to say that it wouldn't be what it is now if Apple had not introduced the iPhone. What competitors, prior to the iPhone, was Android targeting? Blackberry. Almost every phone was an attempt to take a little of the share away from them. This is not to say that it wouldn't have evolved to what we see today but it wouldn't have happened within the same time frame.
theinsider is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:45 PM   #66
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by maknik View Post
I can't believe Motorola still has that logo. Now that Google owns then, they've really got to replace the 50's bra with something a little more modern.
Two points, well made.
Don't know why, but that thing always makes me think of Batman.

Last edited by macs4nw; Nov 16, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:56 PM   #67
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinsider View Post
I'm going to chime in here, not to say Android is a stolen OS, but to say that it wouldn't be what it is now if Apple had not introduced the iPhone. What competitors, prior to the iPhone, was Android targeting? Blackberry. Almost every phone was an attempt to take a little of the share away from them. This is not to say that it wouldn't have evolved to what we see today but it wouldn't have happened within the same time frame.
Agreed 100%. Pre-iPhone, smartphones were essentially Blackberrys. Post-iPhone, smartphones are all essentially iterations of the iPhone.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:04 PM   #68
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWinter View Post
Less of the thermonuclear then, it would appear.
True, but in general Motorola has not had much success with lawsuits related to these patents, against Microsoft as well as Apple. The only dispute is over the royalty rate, so arbitration is a good way to handle it.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:16 PM   #69
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optheduim View Post
i am 100% all for defending your intellectual property. BUT good... I am so tired of reading legal disputes on this website
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Frand issues are probably best settled by arbitration anyway. That will give both parties a dose of reality to clarify their thinking on non-Frand rights, which frankly they have every right to go nuclear on.....
Agreed, plus I think all parties are getting tired of wasting so much of their energy to these legal quagmires. In the interest of fairness to ALL parties, let's hope they can find a 100% impartial and intimately knowledgeable arbitrator, so that everyone involved, can live with the outcome.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:24 PM   #70
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
The amount Google paid for Motorola.

If Google is forced into an agreement where Apple pays something like $1 per phone to use Motorola's FRAND patents, that would provide only a couple of hundred million a year cash flow, without providing any leverage against Apple's non-FRAND patents. (HTC is rumored to be paying close to $10 to Apple and around $15 to Microsoft per phone.) That is why Google had been trying to enforce its FRAND patents against Apple and Microsoft without going to arbitration to protect Android OEMs.
Agreed. I think Google is throwing in the towel in using Motorola FRAND patent to force Apple to settle on it's lawsuit. The ultimatum from FTC probably has a lot to do with why Motorola is agreed to arbitration right now. so much for buying Motorola for their patent. It really does not help Android competitive position too much. Samsung will get into trouble for using FRAND patents to try to force competitors to sign off their crown jewel patents to Samsung for a song. EU already opened a case against Samsung...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...investigation/

The FTC has been investigating Google for more than a year and a half amid complaints that it ranks search results from its own products higher than those of competitors, in an unfair use of its market dominance. The company has also been accused of abusing the patent system to hamper competition in the smartphone market.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/01/e...gation-of.html

The European Commission just announced that it has "opened a formal investigation to assess whether Samsung Electronics has abusively, and in contravention of a commitment it gave to the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), used certain of its standard essential patent rights to distort competition in European mobile device markets, in breach of EU antitrust rules".
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:29 PM   #71
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
Samsung will get into trouble for using FRAND patents to try to force competitors to sign off their crown jewel patents to Samsung for a song.
I really hope this is true.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:59 PM   #72
Marcus-k
macrumors regular

Quote:
He's talking about Apple.

But yeah, Samsung took a risk by copying Apple so blatantly, but it was a gamble that paid off. A billion dollars is a small price to pay (and they likely won't end up paying the full amount) for where they're at in the marketplace.
"Copying Apple so blatantly"? Do you really think the bounce effect when scrolling and using two fingers to scroll (Which has been used on laptops for ages) was blatant copying? Because that's what that fine was about.
Marcus-k is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:03 PM   #73
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-k View Post
"Copying Apple so blatantly"? Do you really think the bounce effect when scrolling and using two fingers to scroll (Which has been used on laptops for ages) was blatant copying? Because that's what that fine was about.
On which non-Apple laptops has two finger scroll been used for ages? And I bet Samsung didn't come up with that bounce effect themselves.
gnasher729 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:08 PM   #74
Marcus-k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
On which non-Apple laptops has two finger scroll been used for ages? And I bet Samsung didn't come up with that bounce effect themselves.
So you also think that basically all smartphones and modern laptops are infringing Apples patents? Maybe Apple should be the only one allowed to do electronics.

BTW, i patented pointing with a finger, so now you can't use touchscreens at all.
Marcus-k is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:13 PM   #75
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-k View Post
So you also think that basically all smartphones and modern laptops are infringing Apples patents?
Yes.

And I notice you didn't answer his question.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion