Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:25 AM   #126
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockleton View Post
Here you go, reading is fundamental. Or not.

http://macdailynews.com/2012/11/03/s...ndroid-phones/
That's the same piece you quoted earlier.

It doesn't change anything. You're still confused. And frankly, that piece is a hive of FUD to begin with...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:28 AM   #127
Pockleton
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post

It doesn't change anything. You're still confused. And frankly, that piece is a hive of FUD to begin with...
http://www.phonesreview.com/review/s...randed-phones/

Keep dismissing and ignore the acts. Read before commenting or sniping.
Pockleton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:29 AM   #128
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:

I hate to be a Wikipedia Warrior but...

Quote:
The term "Droid" has been used by Verizon Wireless under licence from Lucasfilm, for their line of smartphones based on the Android operating system.

Does Google licence it? Motorola? HTC? Verizon?

I'd say reading is fundamental for sure.

/off topic: MacDailyNews needs a few more ads on their page....

Quote:

There are two people at fault here.

Alex Knapp at Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknap...f-of-motorola/
And the naive.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:29 AM   #129
theluggage
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No, GP said :
Don't try to rewrite things when they are still posted on this very page.
Ok, I missed the "through" in the original post, sorry.

However, you did manage to cherry pick the one version of Windows "through 3.X" that looked and worked the least like Mac OS... (and which many people have probably never seen).

Meanwhile, if you want a real MAC-OS look-and-feel rip off, look at GEM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic...onment_Manager

Now they did have it coming... I had an Atari ST (aka the 'Jackintosh') for a while, which managed to avoid the Apple lawsuit and kept the original look-and-feel.
theluggage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:30 AM   #130
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Masterful move by apple to corner Samsung as the only completely unreasonable party in the industry
You can't actually know that without having seen the prior negotiations between Apple and Samsung. Beyond that if they believe they can prove patents to be invalid, they're doing everyone else a service by eliminating something which never should have been granted. The same can be said if Apple invalidates trivial patents granted to any of its competition.

Quote:

What a biased writing style. From that link.

Quote:
MacDailyNews Take: Ha!

Unfortunately, Apple should be getting much more out of the iPhone knockoffs than they currently are – hopefully, someday, finally, the courts will the thieves and rectify this gross and painfully obvious injustice.

Apple’s products came first, then Samsung’s:
Read more at http://macdailynews.com/2012/11/03/s...kWHhyVTXWQG.99
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:31 AM   #131
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
http://www.phonesreview.com/review/s...randed-phones/

Keep dismissing and ignore the acts. Read before commenting or sniping.
Quote:
Steve Jobs’ Trust gets richer from sales of DROID branded phones
Licenced from Verizon....

Quote:
So what does this all mean? It means that Disney will now get the licensing fees and royalties from Verizon for using the DROID name which could result in a higher stock price.
Not Motorola. Stop ignoring the "acts".
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:31 AM   #132
gotluck
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Reading is indeed fundamental, verizon licenses droid bro.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:35 AM   #133
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluggage View Post
However, you did manage to cherry pick the one version of Windows "through 3.X" that looked and worked the least like Mac OS...
No I didn't. I went with Version 1.0 of each. I didn't spend hours looking at all version and picking my screenshots.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
Not Motorola. Stop ignoring the "[f]acts".
After 5 replies by 3 people, if he still ignores the facts, you know what he's here for and you know where he should end up.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:37 AM   #134
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
After 5 replies by 3 people, if he still ignores the facts, you know what he's here for and you know where he should end up.
B-b-but MacDailyNews said.....

We have a new one for "the list" me thinks.

http://forums.macrumors.com/profile....gnore&u=744424
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:52 AM   #135
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsWelshy View Post
I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.
Which has zero to do with Samsung. Until the courts declare against Android and tell folks they can't use it, Samsung can only be hit on hardware and software items they changed or added to Android's core version. Not that core version. Just this week the courts refused to allow discussion of that core in a suit against Samsung, confirming that that is an issue with Google.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:07 AM   #136
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
In my experience, with plenty of relatives who have never used a Mac until they came to my home and used one, some of them with absolutely no computer experience, none of them had any difficulty figuring out two finger scroll.
Yep, anything is easy once it's shown to someone.

To be clearer, I was referring to scrolling a div or frame on iOS. I ran across people all the time who didn't know about the secret need to use two fingers.

(Like pinch zoom, it makes "sense" once you find out. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything in the iPhone manual on the frame scroll topic, so knowing about it totally relied on either a lucky discovery or reading an explanation on the web.)
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:08 AM   #137
Pockleton
macrumors newbie

Quote:
B-b-but MacDailyNews said.....

We have a new one for "the list" me thinks.

http://forums.macrumors.com/profile....gnore&u=744424
Dismissing a fact with an unrelated counter argument "oh but it doesnt effect me so the facts are Fud"
Is a bit of a silly comment

Stealing a product and sticking your own crap ontop of it isnt anything to brag about. Samsung, Android Google are being dragged into court per Steve Jobs because thier products didnt exist before Iphone. Ipod 2001 is the start all of this form factor crap. iOS is the start of All this android court crap.

The droid reference for the 5-10 very deeply misguided and severely delusional readers that are chuffed with their retorts is:

Illegally taking something for free will get back to copycats in some manner. Jobs story isnt fud, its a bit of revenge.

HTC knew this and so will Samsung. But dont let their 1bn loss get in the way of your party.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:16 AM   #138
swy05
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Dismissing a fact with an unrelated counter argument "oh but it doesnt effect me so the facts are Fud"

Stealing a product and sticking your own crap ontop of it isnt anything to brag about. Samsung, Android Google are being dragged into court per Steve Jobs because thier products didnt exist before Iphone. Ipod 2001 is the start all of this form factor crap. iOS is the start of All this android court crap.

The droid reference for the 5-10 very deeply misguided and severely delusional readers that are chuffed with their retorts is:

Illegally taking something for free will get back to copycats in some manner. Jobs story isnt fud, its a bit of revenge.

HTC knew this and so will Samsung. But dont let their 1bn loss get in the way of your party.
Are people really this dense? Better yet, it seems people do not know how to read.

Dont you know how to read? Seriously, dont you know how to read?

Lets repeat it for the billionth time. No, lets repeat it another billion times.

Apple has not won 1b dollars. They havent received a cent.

With the appeals, apple may never see a dime.

The people on this board. Is this a damn joke how dense people here are?
swy05 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:19 AM   #139
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
It was an idiotic comment that Steve obviously said in anger - there's no way Apple could do bugger all to stop Android's success (and yes, it is a success).
They aren't trying to stop Android's success. Just success based on someone else's ideas.

Quote:
Oh shut up and educate yourself on Android and iOS Mr Troll. It is not a stolen OS.
The issue is really more of a semantic one. Some folks define 'stolen' as an act that involves a physical object wretched out of someone else's literal possession. Others use the term in a broader sense of any violation against anyone's legal rights.

And in the broader sense there is potential that Android is a 'stolen' item. The potential needs to be tested and confirmed which is what the courts are for.

Until that test is actually complete it is annoying to hear folks making blanket statements of confirmed guilt whether the party is Google, Samsung, Apple etc
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:44 AM   #140
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:

After reading your comments on this thread, I can say with confidence that yes, I live in a different reality than you do.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:33 PM   #141
Pockleton
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
After reading your comments on this thread, I can say with confidence that yes, I live in a different reality than you do.
Good and please do close the door behind you. They certainly look alike, but quite different.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swy05 View Post
Are people really this dense? Better yet, it seems people do not know how to read.

Dont you know how to read? Seriously, dont you know how to read?

Lets repeat it for the billionth time. No, lets repeat it another billion times.

Apple has not won 1b dollars. They havent received a cent.

With the appeals, apple may never see a dime.

The people on this board. Is this a damn joke how dense people here are?
Thanks Judge Judy

As of: (looking at watch) November 17th Apple has won the lawsuit until things change (if they ever do!)

Blabbering about semantics is the very reason Android clan is in court because they slice and dice reality until even thievery becomes an honest living.

Next case Judge?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:39 PM   #142
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Do you really live in the same reality?
Uh, not again.

----------

Quote:
You... Actually took what I posted seriously?

http://www.asciifacepalm.com/
Your surprised yourself with that one, eh?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:18 PM   #143
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
So you admit what you've been doing is silly ? How many times do we need to prove to you that "Droid" is a Verizon license from Lucasfilm before it starts to sink in ?

----------

Quote:
As of: (looking at watch) November 17th Apple has won the lawsuit until things change (if they ever do!)
As a matter of fact, they did change :

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10...-apple-patent/

One of the patents that is part of the 1 billion $ verdict has been invalidated. This thus changes the verdict (can't infringe and don't have to pay damages for invalid patents).

Samsung has a motion due for hearing on the 6th of december for Jury misconduct which could also greatly affect the outcome of the trial.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:11 PM   #144
Pockleton
macrumors newbie

Quote:
So you admit what you've been doing is silly ? How many times do we need to prove to you that "Droid" is a Verizon license from Lucasfilm before it starts to sink in ?

----------

As a matter of fact, they did change :

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10...-apple-patent/

One of the patents that is part of the 1 billion $ verdict has been invalidated. This thus changes the verdict (can't infringe and don't have to pay damages for invalid patents).

Samsung has a motion due for hearing on the 6th of december for Jury misconduct which could also greatly affect the outcome of the trial.
One a judgement
Another pending

Thanks for playing the recolving door Android Semantic game.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:31 PM   #145
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
If Android is a stolen OS and a blatant ripoff of iOS why do so many iOS users say that Andoroid isn't intuitive and too difficult to use? It doesn't make sense to me.
Because it's a poor ripoff. Android is a sluggish, virus ridden mess.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:43 PM   #146
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post
I bet you that you can't find any single virus for Android. This summarizes your knowledge
Oletros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:59 PM   #147
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsWelshy View Post
I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.
Windows is a stolen OS. Android is just highly inspired by iPhone OS. It's not like they ripped off the OS and its specific features.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:01 PM   #148
selva
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by you people smh View Post
Let's see, if we go to your utopian world where samsung doesn't exist, we lose retina displays, ipads, iphones, ipod touches, etc...
If Samsung did not exist Sharp, LG, Foxconn, HTC, etc. would just be larger to meet consumer demand. The world would get along just fine without Samsung.
selva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:57 PM   #149
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Windows (through versions 3.X) was obviously a blatant ripoff of MacOS (down to such elements as windowing, the CTRL keyboard shortcuts and the appearance of icons), but lots of Mac users found it unintuitive and difficult to use. Microsoft won its case primarily because John Sculley screwed up and gave Microsoft an overly broad license in exchange for Microsoft promising to deliver Office to the Mac first. Plus software patents weren't as common back then, and courts ruled that mere "look and feel" weren't copyrightable.

The idea is that someone can copy the basic concept, but completely butcher the UI because they don't pay the same attention to detail. In the case of Android, it took Google a few years to iron out the UI but they got a "head start" as Apple showed the way with such tight integration between the phone, contacts, and maps apps, for instance.
By this reasoning every Apple product is a ripoff of something else. They didn't invent anything. If Android is a ripoff, so is every version of the Mac OS.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post
Really? How long have you used Android and which versions?
AppleScruff1 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:08 PM   #150
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Same as iPhone was inspired by Android. It's not about being "Fandroid" or "Apple fanboy". Those are just derogative terms. There's a big line between the spiel of "Android is a stolen OS!" and "a few of its UI and features were iOS inspired, same as a few UI elements and features in iOS are inspired by Android".

In the end, both projects are different, with different architectures and goals, but do get inspiration for each other and other players in the market that have been and are still with us.
sorry, cant agree. android got inspired/copied whatever.. but they did it first and thats undeniable. to invent something from 'almost' beginning and create a market is the hardest part. copying someone and then flood the created field is something different....lots of chinese companies can do it. i hope some day one of the chinese manufacturers rip samsung mobile apart by getting 'inspired' by them. i would say 5-7 yrs down the line...but well, chinese are much more enterprising, they will definitely make a better product than ss and yess...they wont copy colours and icons
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion