Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
So I have a Wifi 32 gb Black and Slate Ipad mini, and a Black Verizon 32gb Ipad 3. My ipad 3 is (unfortunately) under contract. I haven't used the data on my ipad 3 in forever, but it is cheaper to keep it, than it is to terminate the contract.

I was considering getting a refund on my 32 gb Wifi mini, and paying a bit extra to get the Verizon LTE mini, and put the mini on my data plan instead. Then I was going to sell my Verizon LTE 32 gb Ipad 3, and use the money to buy just a Wifi 32 gb Ipad 4. Do you think I would get enough money out of my 3, to get a Wifi 4? I could see myself using the LTE on a mini, more often than my heavier ipad 3. Or should I just keep my LTE Ipad 3, my wifi mini, and just ride out my contract, and get the ipad 5 when it comes out?

I would appreciate your opinion(s). Thanks in advance.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
:confused:

Do you HAVE to have both? I'm not even sure I'm following what you're trying to accomplish. Is it saving money?

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I currently have a wifi mini and LTE ipad 3. I don't use data on ipad 3, so was wanting to know if I should exchange wifi mini for LTE mini, and sell LTE ipad 3, to get a wifi ipad 4.
:confused:

Do you HAVE to have both? I'm not even sure I'm following what you're trying to accomplish. Is it saving money?

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I currently have a wifi mini and LTE ipad 3. I don't use data on ipad 3, so was wanting to know if I should exchange wifi mini for LTE mini, and sell LTE ipad 3, to get a wifi ipad 4.

If you don't use the data on the 3, why don't you just keep the Mini, sell the 3 and pay the ETF? It'll be cheaper than paying for data that you don't use in the long run. If you then also have to have a 4, get one.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
The ETF is $205 :(. If I keep the line it is $10 a month, and throughout my contract will be around a hundred dollars cheaper than the ETF would be. I don't understand it, but I've talked to two different people at Verizon and got the same answer.
If you don't use the data on the 3, why don't you just keep the Mini, sell the 3 and pay the ETF? It'll be cheaper than paying for data that you don't use in the long run. If you then also have to have a 4, get one.

lambo

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
FL
I support your initial plan. I think it's definitely best to have a mini with LTE than a iPad. And I think you could afford a *16 GB* iPad 4 Wifi if you sell your 32 GB iPad 3 LTE. The difference has to be negligible.

So it looks like the only new cost would be the upgrade from mini to mini LTE which is like $150. So I say do it.

Although honestly I would just screw getting the iPad 4 all together and pocket the cash.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Thank you for your response! I do my gaming on my mini due to it's size, so I think I would be fine with a 16 gb wifi ipad 4. I haven't ever sold a Cellular Ipad before. So I need to remove my Sim card and obviously reset the ipad to factory settings and that is it? And obviously I will need to tell the buyer that they need to pick up a sim card in a Verizon store, if they plan on using the data on it.

I intend on selling this on Craigslist, to avoid Ebay fees and b/s. I intend to be firm about NO TRADING, though because people always try to trade whenever I sell somethings on Craigslist. It's quite obnoxious.
I support your initial plan. I think it's definitely best to have a mini with LTE than a iPad. And I think you could afford a *16 GB* iPad 4 Wifi if you sell your 32 GB iPad 3 LTE. The difference has to be negligible.

So it looks like the only new cost would be the upgrade from mini to mini LTE which is like $150. So I say do it.

Although honestly I would just screw getting the iPad 4 all together and pocket the cash.

lambo

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
FL
Yeah, just remove the sim and reset it. I had no problem selling my original iPad 3G on Craigslist years ago. I let the buyer play with it for a few seconds, and then I reset it in front of him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.