Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 1, 2011, 04:36 AM   #1
omppuhauki
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Huawei 3G modems and 64-bit Lion

Hi

I spent a long time searching for solution, and now that I finally found it, I thought to share it with you.

Problem: 64-bit Lion and Huawei 3G USB modem (I have model E1762) drivers.

Solution:
Unzip attached lion_huawei_driver.zip

Copy to correct directory
sudo cp -r HuaweiDataCardACMData.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

load manually
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/HuaweiDataCardACMData.kext/

check the module loaded
kextstat|grep -i hua
135 0 0xffffff7f810fc000 0x7000 0x7000 com.huawei.driver.HuaweiDataCardACMData (4.05.00) <79 30 5 4 3 1>

After reboot loads automatically after connecting 3G modem

Module creates following devices

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 16 Aug 1 11:10 /dev/tty.HUAWEIMobile-Pcui
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 12 Aug 1 11:10 /dev/tty.HUAWEIMobile-Modem
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 14 Aug 1 11:10 /dev/tty.HUAWEIMobile-Diag

Configure PPP using MAC's own dialer

network preferences -> HUAWEIMobile-Modem -> tel.number -> *99**1#
-> advanced:
vendor generic
model gprs gsm 3g
apn internet (may vary, check your carrier)


The attached driver is originally from following huawei URL. I have dug out the required kext and included it in the zip.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/resource....4-10.6%29.zip

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/Hu...id=YcaAdpK-XKT
Attached Files
File Type: zip lion_huawei_driver.zip (254.2 KB, 7463 views)
omppuhauki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:31 AM   #2
baucis99
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Hi,

I tried to do what you wrote but to no avail.

I use a operator customized stick e1762 from the German MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) Bildmobil. It's a Vodafone based service and uses the Vodafone Germany APN.

Right now, the - as I first thought - working alternative - is the launch2net premium software, but this costs EUR 50.
It's working, there is a trial period, but I am hesitant to spend 50 EUROS on something that was for free before.

Now I installed the Huawei original software, Mobile Partner, Version: 11.301.10.00.03, but there is one problem:

If you stick the USB modem in, it automatically installs the Bildmobil software under Programs.
If you then install the Mobile partner software and keep the stick in, the Mobile partner software works fine.
But if you remove the stick and then later stick it back in it seems to overwrite some configuration files and the Mobile Partner software can not detect the stick anymore.

I tried to disable the "Auto-install/Auto-Play" functionality of the stick, but could not find out how to do this. This disablement only works under Windows.
Plus I want to mount the device but disable the "Auto-xxx"- functionality.
I could not find a way to do this.

I also found no way to "protect" the configuration files of the Mobile Partner software against overwriting, since I don't know which configuration files are originally written to my Mac.

Do you know how to disable the "auto-install"? Because then the Mobile Partner software works great and is better than the Bildmobil software.

Cheers
baucis99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:51 AM   #3
Jerome Morrow
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Huawei drivers are 64 bit since Snow Leopard and work just fine on Lion. Why do you need this hack at all?

Try this: http://cl.ly/3f2o1Y3P152v413R3Z2D (latest version available).

P.S. I always use *99# and it works fine always.
Jerome Morrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:54 AM   #4
baucis99
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morrow View Post
Huawei drivers are 64 bit since Snow Leopard and work just fine on Lion. Why do you need this hack at all?

Try this: http://cl.ly/3f2o1Y3P152v413R3Z2D (latest version available).

P.S. I always use *99# and it works fine always.
Hi Jerome,

my existing Mobile Partner software - thnx for the link - already works.
But once I stick in the USB modem it overwrites the configuration files with the software from the stick (Bildmobil) and then it cannot detect the USB modem any more.

The question is: How do I prevent the USB modem with the non-Lion compatible software (Bildmobil) on it to install over an existing working software (ie. yours from the link)
The modem must mount to be detected, but I can't turn off the auto-install.

Is there a way to erase the software from the stick? Maybe by changing the firmware?
baucis99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Jerome Morrow
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by baucis99 View Post
Hi Jerome,

my existing Mobile Partner software - thnx for the link - already works.
But once I stick in the USB modem it overwrites the configuration files with the software from the stick (Bildmobil) and then it cannot detect the USB modem any more.

The question is: How do I prevent the USB modem with the non-Lion compatible software (Bildmobil) on it to install over an existing working software (ie. yours from the link)
The modem must mount to be detected, but I can't turn off the auto-install.

Is there a way to erase the software from the stick? Maybe by changing the firmware?
Mine E1550 never auto-installs. How could it, it's not Windows with autorun. I suggest you upgrade the firmware to the latest if your provider has it and unlock the modem. I also suggest not to use Mobile Partner software.
Jerome Morrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:44 AM   #6
baucis99
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morrow View Post
Mine E1550 never auto-installs. How could it, it's not Windows with autorun. I suggest you upgrade the firmware to the latest if your provider has it and unlock the modem. I also suggest not to use Mobile Partner software.
Hi Jerome,

i think there is a misunderstanding here.
Once I stick in the E1762 it changes configuration file and can't detect the modem any more.
I delete the application (Mobile Partner) and re-install it while USB stick remains plugged in. Then open Mobile Partner application and yippee!!!! modem is detected and everything works.

The link you send me doesn't install something like Mobile Partner software found under applications. Does it just install the Huawei modem under System Preferences/Network?

Could you please explain how this can directly cooperate with the stick without using Mobile Partner software. Then that would solve my problem because the stick is accessed via network settings and using the connect button there.

Cheers
baucis99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:23 AM   #7
Jerome Morrow
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by baucis99 View Post
Once I stick in the E1762 it changes configuration file and can't detect the modem any more.
Hi,

i can't understand this part. Maybe it's some nasty firmware you have there? When i connect my modem it just mounts memory storage onboard the modem, that's it.
Jerome Morrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:30 PM   #8
baucis99
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morrow View Post
Hi,

i can't understand this part. Maybe it's some nasty firmware you have there? When i connect my modem it just mounts memory storage onboard the modem, that's it.
Hi Jerome,

I got it working.

I deleted any existing Huawei Modem/Diag/PCUI from System Preference/Network.
I deleted the working Mobile Partner software (see above) and I deleted the Bildmobil software from Programs.

I then installed the software from your link.

I went to System Preference/Network again and pressed the "+"-button and added the Huawei modem with the necessary settings.
Also added the DNS settings.

And it works. No matter ho often I pull out or stick in the Modem it always connects. No need for Mobile Partner software anymore.

Thnx Jerome.
baucis99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Jerome Morrow
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by baucis99 View Post
Hi Jerome,

I got it working.

I deleted any existing Huawei Modem/Diag/PCUI from System Preference/Network.
I deleted the working Mobile Partner software (see above) and I deleted the Bildmobil software from Programs.

I then installed the software from your link.

I went to System Preference/Network again and pressed the "+"-button and added the Huawei modem with the necessary settings.
Also added the DNS settings.

And it works. No matter ho often I pull out or stick in the Modem it always connects. No need for Mobile Partner software anymore.

Thnx Jerome.
Great. That's the newest driver (only). That mobile partner software is terrible.

Also you can try CheetahWatch: http://thepatrick.com.au/cheetahwatch/ - it has some nice features also if you need to switch from 2G to 3G and vice versa it can do that.
Jerome Morrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:23 PM   #10
AppliedMicro
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by baucis99 View Post
I tried to disable the "Auto-install/Auto-Play" functionality of the stick, but could not find out how to do this. This disablement only works under Windows.
Plus I want to mount the device but disable the "Auto-xxx"- functionality.
I could not find a way to do this.
Put the software/drivers you like on an SD card and insert.
(The old ones from the virtual drive often don't work anyway).
Then disable automount of the virtual drive by sending AT command to the modem*:

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/Hu...id=ZpKErufdCg7

You can also do this in Mac OS X. I have done it myself (in 10.6), though I admit I have forgotten how I actually did it. Not sure, if this worked:

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/ex...ds+under+MacOS
AppliedMicro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Spacemarine
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morrow View Post
Try this: http://cl.ly/3f2o1Y3P152v413R3Z2D (latest version available).
Thanks for posting that link. But what exactly is this and where does it come from? It's just that I don't like installing software that comes from sources I cannot verify...
Spacemarine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:58 AM   #12
blipmusic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morrow View Post
[...] I also suggest not to use Mobile Partner software.
Are there any pros using the software/driver you linked to over Mobile Partner, such as speed/ping gains?

My biggest issue seems to be with my provider implementing QoS congestion measures on late afternoons/evenings but I guess that's more of a "need to look into some kind of VPN" in order to fix ping/speed etc? Tried the free HotspotShield and tried an old WoW install just to test. Evening ping went from 4k+ ms (around 80-150ms in the morning) down to around 500ms. Not good either but something seems to be going on with my ISP.

I currently use Mobile Partner with Three/3 here in Sweden. Apart from a slightly panic-y Lion install due to no pre-installed java, the version that came on the modem is now up and running on 10.7. There are claims of an upcoming version for Lion, but it's not out yet afaik. :/

Surfing etc seems ok, speed wise. 7-15Mbps, depending on time of day (my connection is "up to 32 Mbps" but that lofty claim is for a different thread. :P My modem specs say up to 21Mbps - minus error correction overhead etc).

I'm using Huawei E367 (WCDMA/HSPA+), by the way.

[EDIT: There's a 4.25.17.00 version here + some kind of client software. Haven't tested either.]

[EDIT 2: Client is Mobile Partner 2.0.1, same version that came on my modem. The driver in the client package is the same as above, 4.25.17.00 and installed fine.]

Last edited by blipmusic; Aug 16, 2011 at 06:48 AM.
blipmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:47 AM   #13
Jerome Morrow
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemarine View Post
Thanks for posting that link. But what exactly is this and where does it come from? It's just that I don't like installing software that comes from sources I cannot verify...
This is latest driver from Huawei. They provide it with newer modems. I just took the installer of thr driver from all that big package. Smaller footprint.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipmusic View Post
Are there any pros using the software/driver you linked to over Mobile Partner, such as speed/ping gains?

My biggest issue seems to be with my provider implementing QoS congestion measures on late afternoons/evenings but I guess that's more of a "need to look into some kind of VPN" in order to fix ping/speed etc? Tried the free HotspotShield and tried an old WoW install just to test. Evening ping went from 4k+ ms (around 80-150ms in the morning) down to around 500ms. Not good either but something seems to be going on with my ISP.

I currently use Mobile Partner with Three/3 here in Sweden. Apart from a slightly panic-y Lion install due to no pre-installed java, the version that came on the modem is now up and running on 10.7. There are claims of an upcoming version for Lion, but it's not out yet afaik. :/

Surfing etc seems ok, speed wise. 7-15Mbps, depending on time of day (my connection is "up to 32 Mbps" but that lofty claim is for a different thread. :P My modem specs say up to 21Mbps - minus error correction overhead etc).

I'm using Huawei E367 (WCDMA/HSPA+), by the way.

[EDiT: There's a 4.25.17.00 version here + some kind of client software. Haven't tested either.]
Mobile Partner is just a free software they ship with the modem. It's not very good and it's Java. This is just a separate installer for the driver only.
Jerome Morrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:11 AM   #14
blipmusic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morrow View Post
I just took the installer of thr driver from all that big package. Smaller footprint. [...] Mobile Partner is just a free software they ship with the modem. It's not very good and it's Java. This is just a separate installer for the driver only.
Woops, just noticed, thanks for the heads up. Checked the client package (which was just the same version of Mobile Partner I have installed, v2.0.1) and packed inside was the same driver version I linked to, seemingly a maintenance update/bug fix of the on you linked to earlier.

I'll try setting up my connection without that app.

Anyway, both the previous version of the driver (4.24...something) and the one I just installed (4.25.17.00) both work ok in Lion.

[EDIT: Weee. Mobile Partner free and connected.]

[EDIT 2: By the way don't forget to disable PIN verification from within Mobile Partner or whatever app you're connecting with before uninstalling.]

Last edited by blipmusic; Aug 16, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
blipmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:54 AM   #15
Spacemarine
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morrow View Post
This is latest driver from Huawei. They provide it with newer modems. I just took the installer of thr driver from all that big package. Smaller footprint.
It seems to me that the newest version is 4.25.17.00 from 2011-06-08. This is even newer than you package (and also originates directly from the manufacturer) You can download it directly from http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwid...ctId=3766&tb=0
as already quoted by blipmusic.

The package "HUAWEI UMTS Data Cards Driver" seems to only contain the drivers, no other programs.

I installed this driver and it works for my Huawei E1750 USB-Stick. However, Cheetahwatch isn't able to show me any statistics, although it can successfully connect and disconnect.

-----
Edit: I wrote this post before I read the post from blipmusic... So in part it is redundant.
Spacemarine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 03:25 PM   #16
BIG360
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Hello together,

can somebody tell me which data i should fill in the fields? I have the same problem with bildmobil and MacOs Lion.
I installed the software from Jeromes link and then i would like to fill in the fields: telephonenumber, user, password and DNS Settings?

Stefan
BIG360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:33 AM   #17
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedMicro View Post
Put the software/drivers you like on an SD card and insert.
(The old ones from the virtual drive often don't work anyway).
Then disable automount of the virtual drive by sending AT command to the modem*:

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/Hu...id=ZpKErufdCg7

You can also do this in Mac OS X. I have done it myself (in 10.6), though I admit I have forgotten how I actually did it. Not sure, if this worked:

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/ex...ds+under+MacOS
I know this Thread was already archived but it helped Me a lot.

Thanks AppliedMicro, finally I am liberated from this awful awful Java software from Huawei.

The problem was it always auto mounted the driver and looked if Mobile Partner was installed, if not it would start the whole Install prcedure again so I could not delete it.

Who do Huawei think We Apple users are,We are not that stupid and can easily connect ourselves without that Mobile Partner.
And if You need a good FREE program to log Your usage download and install SurplusMeter and Put it into Login Items in System Preferences Accounts.

I have a Huawei 153 and with Zterm App I used this command to only have the Modem and MemoryCard enabled.
(Sending a Command with Mobile Partner didn't work--Zterm is PPC App only so You have to find a different way, I think You can do it also in Terminal but You have to find out Yourself)

AT^U2DIAG=256 (Its on the Bold Link above)

But that's how it worked for Me, don't blaim Me if you F up, I think you can undo it by sending the same Command again.

Cheers
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:48 AM   #18
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601
 
Michaelgtrusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Everywhere And Nowhere
This company is from china. I would avoid this junk.
__________________
iMACAll life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
TWITTER TUMBLR
Michaelgtrusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:16 AM   #19
bdodds1985
macrumors 6502a
 
bdodds1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tartarus
mine works with lion i just had to update. i wouldnt use this if there was another option where i am at trust me. in a couple months its back to normal internet anyways. but i hate using these crappy usb sticks.
__________________

| Mac Mini | MBP |
bdodds1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:06 PM   #20
AppliedMicro
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Thanks AppliedMicro, finally I am liberated from this awful awful Java software from Huawei.
Glad it worked for you.

Commands may vary a little from stick to stick.

ZTerm X also seems to be available as a Universal Binary, though not free. But there are other free alternatives around...
AppliedMicro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:59 AM   #21
MacFather
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Europe
is Huawei E1750 compatible with Mountain Lion ? (with Lion drivers)
MacFather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:03 AM   #22
cool11
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
How can these modems function in mountain lion, when all its driver's libraries are in 32bit?
cool11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:28 AM   #23
Be inspired
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Greece
Thumbs up

Hi, you can download this from Vodafone: http://www.business.vodafone.com/sit...ftware.jsp?mac

It works nice with Lion and Mountain Lion, i use it everyday without a problem ...
__________________
Macbook 3,1 black (late 2007) * 2.2 Ghz c2d * 4gb @ 667 Mhz ddr2 ram * Kingston ssdnow v+100 128gb * running Lion *
Be inspired is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:00 PM   #24
Fuzzy.Dunlop
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Anyone got any tips on how to get an ETS1220 to work Driving me crazy and I cant download a lot as i'm in Libya with a less than dial up speed
__________________
iPhone 5 64gb - 13" Mac Pro 1TB 8gb - 160gb Ipod Classic - iPad 3 64gb - Gamecentre fuzzy.dunlop
Fuzzy.Dunlop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:33 PM   #25
legweg
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
thanks omppuhauki your solution works like a charm on my imac with OS 10.8.2 and my old Huawei E220 which I now use with sms server tools 3.
I have one question though !

each time I plug my modem in, OSX display a dialog window saying :
"the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer
[ignore] [eject]".

I ignore and everything works fine, but would anybody know how to get rid of this dialog ???
legweg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mountain Lion 10.8 Huawei E173 USB not recognized Zaleosmarley OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 6 Nov 26, 2013 01:46 PM
OS X Mountain Lion Officially Drops Support for Some Older 64-Bit Macs MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 656 Jul 11, 2013 02:43 PM
Resolved: Huawei E303C Datacard is not detecting in new MacBook Pro (Mountain Lion OS) sandipsah OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 8 Dec 21, 2012 08:59 AM
Safari on mountain lion looks occupying much space and also bit slower raghunk OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 4 Aug 23, 2012 10:19 AM
Creative Soundblaster Live! 24-bit External not working with OSX Lion myh5015 MacBook 0 Jul 27, 2012 08:25 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC