Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:36 PM   #26
eddieaus
macrumors regular

what a terrible Christmas present for those Lion users
eddieaus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:36 PM   #27
jbstew32
macrumors regular

seems like they should require you to either replace your iMessage beta with iChat or 'upgrade' to a final release version through the app store for $1.99.
jbstew32 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:39 PM   #28
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_smed View Post
I also find it annoying that it's soon going to expire. I have an old Mac Mini that isn't capable of running 10.8 and can't justify buying new hardware just for desktop iMessaging.
Then do without. Problem solved.
Kaibelf is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:41 PM   #29
proline
macrumors 6502

There's no "fake boundary" here- iMessages was meant to showcase the new notification centre in ML as well as the phone number / email address linking present in iOS and ML. Without these features you aren't getting a very good experience and are liable to complain a lot. Well, you say, why not make it available and let the user decide? Apple tried that with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G, and people are still whining about how the update "ruined" their phone two years later even though it was an optional upgrade.

It was a beta, it was very clear that it would expire, and it is beta quality, which means you should have deleted it a long time ago. The upgrade is $20 and runs on almost all Macs sold in the last 4 years.
proline is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:41 PM   #30
carlemil
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to carlemil Send a message via Skype™ to carlemil
It makes perfect sense

It's for the same reason facetime has to be bought for Snow Leopard. It uses some patents etc. that they are required to take payment for in a finished project.

You could argue that Apple should sell the Messages to Lion users, but it's simpler just having it as part of a paid OS.

They are simply not allowed to maintain the app for free. So either charge for it or include it in the new OS.

Apple Certified Technology Consultant
ACSP 10.8 · ACSP 10.7 · ACAMI 10.8
Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it.

Last edited by carlemil; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typos
carlemil is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:42 PM   #31
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by t22design View Post
Yep it's annoying. I'm a MacBook user that can't upgrade to Mountain Lion and these constant fake limitations drive me mad. At least I can do Photo stream sharing on my Windows machine.
Apple in a nutshell. They constantly force their users to upgrade software and hardware on baseless reasons. It's part of their philosophy. You want to be part of this, always have the $$ ready.
Mackan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:44 PM   #32
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by t22design View Post
Yep it's annoying. I'm a MacBook user that can't upgrade to Mountain Lion and these constant fake limitations drive me mad. At least I can do Photo stream sharing on my Windows machine.
Apple helping it's customers out, to ship (completely) ship to back windows
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:52 PM   #33
3bs
macrumors 603

I can't upgrade to 10.8 because I can't connect to my college wifi on 10.8 so this sucks.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:52 PM   #34
tomhut
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
Apple in a nutshell. They constantly force their users to upgrade software and hardware on baseless reasons. It's part of their philosophy. You want to be part of this, always have the $$ ready.
Apple are not forcing you to do anything. Back porting the final version of Messages would have taken a fair amount of work and there is no incentive for Apple to do so. People need to stop their sense of self entitlement.
tomhut is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:53 PM   #35
stepmuel
macrumors newbie

Don't be naive. Of course there are technical reasons. They need to maintain a separate version that links to all the old frameworks and can't use the new system features.

Of course you can argue that Apple should take the effort for a probably very small amount of users. Or that Apple thinks it is somehow smart to push a couple of users to a new system version. But the technical argument makes just much more sense.
stepmuel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:54 PM   #36
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlemil View Post
It's for the same reason facetime has to be bought for Snow Leopard. It uses some patents etc. that they are required to take payment for in a finished project.

You could argue that Apple should sell the Messages to Lion users, but it's simpler just having it as part of a paid OS.

They are simply not allowed to maintain the app for free. So either charge for it or include it in the new OS.
Sure, I'll pay for it but Apple aren't giving us that option and I can't upgrade to 10.8 unfortunately. I've already bought it and tried but had to revert back to 10.7.
3bs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:58 PM   #37
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

For those saying something along the lines of "there's no reason for Apple to do this", you seem to assume that Messages won't continue to be developed and have new functionality added over time that uses features of Mountain Lion. Supporting both Lion and Mountain Lion, as well as whatever OS comes next, is extra work. And considering Apple charges minimally for OS upgrades these days, it's not surprising that they don't want to spend the time and money to continue developing for older OSs endlessly.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:59 PM   #38
ipure
macrumors member

This is a lot like the way they took Siri out for iphone 4 users. If you don't buy their new ****, then say goodbye to your app.
****** Apple !
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:23 PM   #39
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

Typical Apple move. I think Apple is already being generous enough, they have at least given a time to try it out before buying the new OS. This is no different than the Windows 8 previews which will expire on March of next year.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:31 PM   #40
Matthew Yohe
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Matthew Yohe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipure View Post
This is a lot like the way they took Siri out for iphone 4 users. If you don't buy their new ****, then say goodbye to your app.
****** Apple !
Took Siri out? Actually it never existed on iPhone 4.

Chill.
Matthew Yohe is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:36 PM   #41
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
I'm sure Apple wrenched his arm behind his back to download and install it. Apples not forcing you to do anything, only previewing a new upcoming app. Watching trailers at the movie theater does not force you to watch those movies too, or prevent you from enjoying the one your watching now.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:57 PM   #42
theinsider
macrumors newbie

How is this any different from every other OS that introduces new features but requires to you upgrade to the most recent version?
theinsider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:59 PM   #43
stevenlangley1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post
Took Siri out? Actually it never existed on iPhone 4.

Chill.
Sure it did. At least in app form. http://www.google.com/url?q=http://t...4LvP4H_O7eOJ8A
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:03 PM   #44
theinsider
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenlangley1 View Post
That is nothing like the SIRI that was implemented on iOS 5.
theinsider is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:14 PM   #45
jroz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.P.JobsFan View Post
FYI: Software Update DOES reinstall iChat when the Messages Beta is uninstalled. Stop saying it doesn't.
This. I used the beta version of Messages on my '06 mbp earlier this year and uninstalled it because I didn't like it. It went right back to iChat.
jroz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:14 PM   #46
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinsider View Post
That is nothing like the SIRI that was implemented on iOS 5.
He never claimed that it was. The complaint is that the existing Siri service was discontinued when Apple introduced new hardware.
Nermal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:15 PM   #47
Hawkeye411
macrumors 68000

I can't believe that Messages isn't supported on my Newton!! Come on Apple!! What's up with that??!!
Hawkeye411 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:20 PM   #48
faroZ06
Banned

Sorry Apple, screw iMessage if you're going to do that. It's extremely pathetic that neither Apple nor Google can make anything better than AOL's AIM. What a joke.

I'd gladly update to Mountain Lion if they didn't decide to screw a bunch of users over by removing Rosetta. Don't give me BS about how I don't need it because I DO NEED IT. Some of my apps use it. There aren't any updates to them or any new alternatives. The developer of one of them died in 2011. Also, there are a few minor things they removed in Lion / Mtn Lion for no good reason. It's still a better OS overall, but that one Rosetta problem just kills it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlemil View Post

Yeah, that's not the way to gain iMessage users when every other messaging system out there is completely FREE. I really want iMessage to do well because it would kill SMS, which should die, but the way Apple's doing things, neither I nor anyone I know use it.

Giving out iMessage for free would put people in the Apple ecosystem and make them recognize Apple more. Google does this sort of thing constantly with its free, ad-free services.

Last edited by faroZ06; Nov 18, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
faroZ06 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:20 PM   #49
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
I feel like it should allow you to use it forever if its an older model that can't install 10.8.
Apple... supporting older models?

LMAO
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:21 PM   #50
katewes
macrumors 6502

katewes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion