Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:36 PM   #26
eddieaus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
what a terrible Christmas present for those Lion users
eddieaus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:36 PM   #27
jbstew32
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
seems like they should require you to either replace your iMessage beta with iChat or 'upgrade' to a final release version through the app store for $1.99.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" 2012
Hackintosh Core i7-950/3.06 GHz/6GB/1TB/Radeon HD 5770
16 GB iPhone4
jbstew32 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:39 PM   #28
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a
 
Kaibelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_smed View Post
I also find it annoying that it's soon going to expire. I have an old Mac Mini that isn't capable of running 10.8 and can't justify buying new hardware just for desktop iMessaging.
Then do without. Problem solved.
Kaibelf is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:41 PM   #29
proline
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
There's no "fake boundary" here- iMessages was meant to showcase the new notification centre in ML as well as the phone number / email address linking present in iOS and ML. Without these features you aren't getting a very good experience and are liable to complain a lot. Well, you say, why not make it available and let the user decide? Apple tried that with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G, and people are still whining about how the update "ruined" their phone two years later even though it was an optional upgrade.

It was a beta, it was very clear that it would expire, and it is beta quality, which means you should have deleted it a long time ago. The upgrade is $20 and runs on almost all Macs sold in the last 4 years.
proline is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:41 PM   #30
carlemil
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Send a message via AIM to carlemil Send a message via Skype™ to carlemil
It makes perfect sense

It's for the same reason facetime has to be bought for Snow Leopard. It uses some patents etc. that they are required to take payment for in a finished project.

You could argue that Apple should sell the Messages to Lion users, but it's simpler just having it as part of a paid OS.

They are simply not allowed to maintain the app for free. So either charge for it or include it in the new OS.
__________________

Apple Certified Technology Consultant
ACSP 10.8 · ACSP 10.7 · ACAMI 10.8
Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it.

Last edited by carlemil; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typos
carlemil is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:42 PM   #31
Mackan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by t22design View Post
Yep it's annoying. I'm a MacBook user that can't upgrade to Mountain Lion and these constant fake limitations drive me mad. At least I can do Photo stream sharing on my Windows machine.
Apple in a nutshell. They constantly force their users to upgrade software and hardware on baseless reasons. It's part of their philosophy. You want to be part of this, always have the $$ ready.
Mackan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:44 PM   #32
hamkor04
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by t22design View Post
Yep it's annoying. I'm a MacBook user that can't upgrade to Mountain Lion and these constant fake limitations drive me mad. At least I can do Photo stream sharing on my Windows machine.
Apple helping it's customers out, to ship (completely) ship to back windows
__________________
“All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.”
hamkor04 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:52 PM   #33
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
I can't upgrade to 10.8 because I can't connect to my college wifi on 10.8 so this sucks.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:52 PM   #34
tomhut
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
Apple in a nutshell. They constantly force their users to upgrade software and hardware on baseless reasons. It's part of their philosophy. You want to be part of this, always have the $$ ready.
Apple are not forcing you to do anything. Back porting the final version of Messages would have taken a fair amount of work and there is no incentive for Apple to do so. People need to stop their sense of self entitlement.
tomhut is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:53 PM   #35
stepmuel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Don't be naive. Of course there are technical reasons. They need to maintain a separate version that links to all the old frameworks and can't use the new system features.

Of course you can argue that Apple should take the effort for a probably very small amount of users. Or that Apple thinks it is somehow smart to push a couple of users to a new system version. But the technical argument makes just much more sense.
stepmuel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:54 PM   #36
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlemil View Post
It's for the same reason facetime has to be bought for Snow Leopard. It uses some patents etc. that they are required to take payment for in a finished project.

You could argue that Apple should sell the Messages to Lion users, but it's simpler just having it as part of a paid OS.

They are simply not allowed to maintain the app for free. So either charge for it or include it in the new OS.
Sure, I'll pay for it but Apple aren't giving us that option and I can't upgrade to 10.8 unfortunately. I've already bought it and tried but had to revert back to 10.7.
3bs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:58 PM   #37
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA USA
For those saying something along the lines of "there's no reason for Apple to do this", you seem to assume that Messages won't continue to be developed and have new functionality added over time that uses features of Mountain Lion. Supporting both Lion and Mountain Lion, as well as whatever OS comes next, is extra work. And considering Apple charges minimally for OS upgrades these days, it's not surprising that they don't want to spend the time and money to continue developing for older OSs endlessly.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro Retina (2.6GHz/512GB/16GB) / 27" Thunderbolt Display / iPad 3 / iPhone 5 / G4 Mac Mini / Apple TV 3
overanalyzer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:59 PM   #38
ipure
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
This is a lot like the way they took Siri out for iphone 4 users. If you don't buy their new ****, then say goodbye to your app.
****** Apple !
__________________
22" Hacingtosh, Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz, Ati HD4870, 8 GB RAM, 80GB SDD + 640 GB HD. OSX 10.6.3 / Win7
ipure is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:23 PM   #39
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Irvine, CA, USA
Typical Apple move. I think Apple is already being generous enough, they have at least given a time to try it out before buying the new OS. This is no different than the Windows 8 previews which will expire on March of next year.
__________________
Hackintosh w/ i7-4770K, 16GB RAM, 2x120GB SSDs, 1TB HDD, GTX 760; MacBook Pro 13 i7 (Mid 2012) w/ 240GB SSD; iPad 4 WiFi 32GB; HTC One 32GB AT&T
maxwelltech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:31 PM   #40
Matthew Yohe
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Send a message via AIM to Matthew Yohe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipure View Post
This is a lot like the way they took Siri out for iphone 4 users. If you don't buy their new ****, then say goodbye to your app.
****** Apple !
Took Siri out? Actually it never existed on iPhone 4.

Chill.
Matthew Yohe is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:36 PM   #41
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
Apple in a nutshell. They constantly force their users to upgrade software and hardware on baseless reasons. It's part of their philosophy. You want to be part of this, always have the $$ ready.
I'm sure Apple wrenched his arm behind his back to download and install it. Apples not forcing you to do anything, only previewing a new upcoming app. Watching trailers at the movie theater does not force you to watch those movies too, or prevent you from enjoying the one your watching now.
__________________
Techshow:http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude
linuxcooldude is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:57 PM   #42
theinsider
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
How is this any different from every other OS that introduces new features but requires to you upgrade to the most recent version?
theinsider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:59 PM   #43
stevenlangley1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post
Took Siri out? Actually it never existed on iPhone 4.

Chill.
Sure it did. At least in app form. http://www.google.com/url?q=http://t...4LvP4H_O7eOJ8A
__________________
15.4" MacBook Pro - Galaxy Note 2 - iPad 32GB WIFI/3G - iPod Classic 80GB - 1st/3rd gen Shuffle
stevenlangley1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:03 PM   #44
theinsider
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenlangley1 View Post
That is nothing like the SIRI that was implemented on iOS 5.
theinsider is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:14 PM   #45
jroz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.P.JobsFan View Post
FYI: Software Update DOES reinstall iChat when the Messages Beta is uninstalled. Stop saying it doesn't.
This. I used the beta version of Messages on my '06 mbp earlier this year and uninstalled it because I didn't like it. It went right back to iChat.
jroz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:14 PM   #46
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinsider View Post
That is nothing like the SIRI that was implemented on iOS 5.
He never claimed that it was. The complaint is that the existing Siri service was discontinued when Apple introduced new hardware.
Nermal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:15 PM   #47
Hawkeye411
macrumors 68000
 
Hawkeye411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada EH!!!
I can't believe that Messages isn't supported on my Newton!! Come on Apple!! What's up with that??!!
Hawkeye411 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:20 PM   #48
faroZ06
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Sorry Apple, screw iMessage if you're going to do that. It's extremely pathetic that neither Apple nor Google can make anything better than AOL's AIM. What a joke.

I'd gladly update to Mountain Lion if they didn't decide to screw a bunch of users over by removing Rosetta. Don't give me BS about how I don't need it because I DO NEED IT. Some of my apps use it. There aren't any updates to them or any new alternatives. The developer of one of them died in 2011. Also, there are a few minor things they removed in Lion / Mtn Lion for no good reason. It's still a better OS overall, but that one Rosetta problem just kills it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlemil View Post
It's for the same reason facetime has to be bought for Snow Leopard. It uses some patents etc. that they are required to take payment for in a finished project.

You could argue that Apple should sell the Messages to Lion users, but it's simpler just having it as part of a paid OS.

They are simply not allowed to maintain the app for free. So either charge for it or include it in the new OS.
Yeah, that's not the way to gain iMessage users when every other messaging system out there is completely FREE. I really want iMessage to do well because it would kill SMS, which should die, but the way Apple's doing things, neither I nor anyone I know use it.

Giving out iMessage for free would put people in the Apple ecosystem and make them recognize Apple more. Google does this sort of thing constantly with its free, ad-free services.

Last edited by faroZ06; Nov 18, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
faroZ06 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:20 PM   #49
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
I feel like it should allow you to use it forever if its an older model that can't install 10.8.
Apple... supporting older models?

LMAO
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:21 PM   #50
katewes
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
katewes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is it true than on OSX LION 10.7.5 installing MESSAGES BETA removed ichat? jinxers22 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Jun 4, 2013 05:11 PM
Messages beta (for 10.7 Lion) stops working on December 15th iParis Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 13 Jan 13, 2013 09:12 AM
Apple Removes Links to Messages Beta for OS X Lion, Still Available via Direct Link MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 47 Dec 17, 2012 08:56 AM
Messages beta on Lion to always work? iParis Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Sep 4, 2012 02:28 PM
What happens when a beta expires? (Need help!) DanR16 iOS 6 9 Jul 16, 2012 03:19 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC