Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
Well, this sure is an odd issue to say the least. If my new Macbook Pro (2012, cMBP) stays asleep for a few+ hours, it's no longer asleep but, as best as I can describe it, it's hibernating. The sleep indicator is off, the power charger is plugged in, but when I open the lid, the screen is grey and it's like an indicator bar is filling up before it will show the desktop. If I let it sleep for a few minutes it comes up with no issues.

SMC has been reset (probably multiple times to make sure I did it correctly). The problem still exists. Any advice?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've been having some sleep issues, including some similar to this, on my mid 2009 MBP since I updated to 10.8.2. I just disable safe sleep for now and hope Apple fixes it in the next OSX update.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
I've been having some sleep issues, including some similar to this, on my mid 2009 MBP since I updated to 10.8.2. I just disable safe sleep for now and hope Apple fixes it in the next OSX update.

Thanks for the reassurance. I hope so as well.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
How odd, this very thing happened to me today, in the morning. I usually leave my MBP in sleep mode for ages but this morning when I turned it on I could hear the DVD drive go and then the screen was showing an indicator bar. Also, I was asked to put in my password because I use full-disk encryption.

How do I make it not do this?

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
How odd, this very thing happened to me today, in the morning. I usually leave my MBP in sleep mode for ages but this morning when I turned it on I could hear the DVD drive go and then the screen was showing an indicator bar. Also, I was asked to put in my password because I use full-disk encryption.

How do I make it not do this?

This is literally the exact issue that I'm referencing. The DVD drive checks for a disc (audible), as if it's restarting. Indicator bar and desktop follow. Maybe we should throw this on the Apple forums?

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
This is literally the exact issue that I'm referencing. The DVD drive checks for a disc (audible), as if it's restarting. Indicator bar and desktop follow. Maybe we should throw this on the Apple forums?

Did yours start doing this out of the blue as well?

As far as I'm aware I've not changed any settings nor installed anything.

Could you open terminal (cmd + space, type in terminal) and paste this command into it: sudo pmset -g

These are my settings:

Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standbydelay 4200
standby 0
womp 1
halfdim 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
gpuswitch 2
sms 1
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 0
sleep 0
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 3
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 15
acwake 0
lidwake 1

It didn't do this until a few days ago, before I was able to have it in sleep mode indefinitely...

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Mine is doing this also, started after the "Update 2" for the mid-2012 MBP.

Here's the results from my Mac.

Active Profiles:
Battery Power 1
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standbydelay 4200
standby 0
womp 1
halfdim 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
gpuswitch 2
sms 1
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 60
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 3
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 10
acwake 0
lidwake 1

I thought there was a thread in here on turning Safe Sleep (that's what's happening) off.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Well, this sure is an odd issue to say the least. If my new Macbook Pro (2012, cMBP) stays asleep for a few+ hours, it's no longer asleep but, as best as I can describe it, it's hibernating. The sleep indicator is off, the power charger is plugged in, but when I open the lid, the screen is grey and it's like an indicator bar is filling up before it will show the desktop. If I let it sleep for a few minutes it comes up with no issues.

SMC has been reset (probably multiple times to make sure I did it correctly). The problem still exists. Any advice?
I've noticed the same issue after update to 10.8.2 ... maybe it's a feature :/

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
The following article describes how to tweak the various settings linked to safe sleep:

http://www.garron.me/mac/macbook-hibernate-sleep-deep-standby.html

Theoretically, the following command should set hibernate mode off for all power modes (charger, battery, etc.):

Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

(default value: 3)

I've simply set the safe sleep timer to 20 hours with the command given below (as suggested in the article). It seems to work.

Code:
sudo pmset -a standbydelay 72000 

(previous value: 4200)

To check the last time your computer went into hibernation, see if the following file exists:

Code:
/private/var/vm/sleepimage

The date stamp of that file should correspond to the last hibernation and is roughly the size of your RAM. I have 16 GB RAM and get the following result:

Code:
-rw------T  1 root  wheel  17179869184 Nov 18 15:37 /private/var/vm/sleepimage

There's a lot of info on this in the pmset man pages as well.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
The following article describes how to tweak the various settings linked to safe sleep:

http://www.garron.me/mac/macbook-hibernate-sleep-deep-standby.html

I've changed my standby delay to 20 hours now too. I'm a little puzzled, however, because my settings show that the value for standby is 0, as is the other individual's, and yet it goes into hibernate mode after a few hours.

It wasn't doing this immediately after the update, it just started recently :confused:

Thanks for the link tho, I'll see if that sorts it out.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I've changed my standby delay to 20 hours now too. I'm a little puzzled, however, because my settings show that the value for standby is 0, as is the other individual's, and yet it goes into hibernate mode after a few hours.

Standby=0 here as well. I agree with you, this is slightly confusing. However, when reading the man pages of pmset, it became a bit more clear. Standby only works if hibernatemode is set to 3 or 25. So if you have a doubt, you could just try the following:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

I've included an extract from the man pages below.

STANDBY ARGUMENTS
standby causes kernel power management to automatically hibernate a
machine after it has slept for a specified time period. This saves power
while asleep. This setting defaults to ON for supported hardware. The
setting standby will be visible in pmset -g if the feature is supported
on this machine.

standby only works if hibernation is turned on to hibernatemode 3 or 25.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I just tried putting my MBP to sleep overnight instead of shutting it down. It woke up instantly 12 hours later. Before putting it to sleep I had charged it completely. When I woke it up this morning there was 96% battery left.

Anyway, if anyone else wants to give it a try, these are my settings:

Code:
Active Profiles:
Battery Power		-1*
AC Power		-1
Currently in use:
 standbydelay         72000
 standby              0
 halfdim              1
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 darkwakes            0
 gpuswitch            2
 disksleep            10
 sleep                37
 autopoweroffdelay    14400
 hibernatemode        3
 autopoweroff         1
 ttyskeepawake        1
 displaysleep         4
 acwake               0
 lidwake              1

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Mine also slept soundly, but there has arisen an annoying issue where it would turn on briefly if I unplugged it...

Could that be due to setting autopoweroff to 0?

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Mine also slept soundly, but there has arisen an annoying issue where it would turn on briefly if I unplugged it...

It's possible, yes. That doesn't happen on mine and I left autopoweroff at 1. If my computer goes to sleep and I then unplug the power cord it stays asleep.

lilmoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
This happened to me after the 2.0 Update too. I googled it and ended up doing this. Basically locked my sleepimage file and it stopped all "hibernation/safe sleep."

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas

This is actually a part of the original problem that I omitted from the description unintentionally. I'll test this when I get home to see if it's still doing that, but as far as it sleeping through the night, it did that fine with the 72000 change.

andymac2210

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
I actually came here because this happened to my MBP today (2012 model).

Guessing it's a new feature now?

kissmygrass

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Same here. MacBook Pro mid 2012, wakes up on connecting/disconnecting AC (no such behaviour before installing the last update).
syslog | grep -i "Wake reason"
produces several entries with Wake reason: EC.ACAttach (Maintenance) and Wake reason: EC.ACDetach (Maintenance). Strange, acwake is set to 0.

Any ideas?

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
This happened to me after the 2.0 Update too. I googled it and ended up doing this. Basically locked my sleepimage file and it stopped all "hibernation/safe sleep."

That workaround is still working for me (0-byte immutable sleepimage).

I also have my standbydelay set to 24 hours.

I haven't tried seeing what happens now when I let the system sleep for 24+ hours; I suspect it'll just power off, but since it can't write the sleep image, it will be an ungraceful shutdown.

Just remember to save everything before you shut the lid, or power off manually if you know you're not going to use it for the next day or so.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
Are we messing with information on the OS directly (hard drive) or in the Mac version of the BIOS? In other words, if this screws something up, will a reformat fix this?

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Same here. MacBook Pro mid 2012, wakes up on connecting/disconnecting AC (no such behaviour before installing the last update).
syslog | grep -i "Wake reason"
produces several entries with Wake reason: EC.ACAttach (Maintenance) and Wake reason: EC.ACDetach (Maintenance). Strange, acwake is set to 0.

Any ideas?

I have these messages as well when plugging/unplugging the mains, but the computer stays asleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.