Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillThePlank

macrumors member
Original poster
So I think today was a sign to do something I really have wanted to for a long time.

I've been toying with Converting my old G5 case into something that takes a Micro ATX motherboard as my G5 has been freezing and crashing a lot, Now I was just finished backing up my G5 and I was on the phone to my Girlfriend talking about how I want to strip it out and I was also looking online for motherboard trays.

As soon as I hung up the phone I could smell that unmistakable smell of burning insulation, Then I saw the smoke and my computer shut down, Immediately I unplugged it before it caught fire. Stripped it down and my power supply cables had literally melted...Doesn't help it was filled to the brim with dust!

So I've bought my motherboard tray and the work begins tomorrow on cutting things up and mounting standard pc innards :)

TheRealPorkchop

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Whiteville, NC
Dear Lord please tell us you're going to stay with OSX and not go Windows on us.

Also, please tell us you're gonna take lots of pictures and post them here so I can see them, I like pictures, hate words.

WillThePlank

macrumors member
Original poster
Dear Lord please tell us you're going to stay with OSX and not go Windows on us.

Also, please tell us you're gonna take lots of pictures and post them here so I can see them, I like pictures, hate words.

Hehe! I have always been an avid user of both OS X and Windows based systems, So In short I will not be leaving Apple (especially as I run my business off macs) as I still have my MacBook Pro and my 8 core Mac Pro.

Also I will go one better than that...Videos will be taken and stuck on my Technology channel on YouTube :)

WillThePlank

macrumors member
Original poster
Feelings feel hurt. Strange disturbance in the OS_X Force, I feel. Translation is "yes, it's going to be a Windows machine". And many wept.

Lies :L...Well slightly!

It's going to start off as a win box because I will be doing the design and re modeling work with an old single core AMD board, Then after christmas I'm going to save and get some mac compatible hardware :)

AdamInNi

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
Yet another one of my favourite forums that I have seen you posting on, Will. I've seen a bunch of your youtube videos and have read through your 106 build thread on 106 owners :) Good luck with this project, will be keeping an eye on it :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.