Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
What tools do you use when you want to downmix AC3 audio such as DTS tracks to Dolby Digital?

I'm using Subler, but I feel like I'm missing something. How do I go about down mixing to 5.1 rather than Pro Logic fake 5.1.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I use Handbrake to do full encoding of video and audio, and it does support true Dolby 5.1 audio. I dont know if Subler supports it as I have only used it for adding Metadata to my encodes.

The downside to using handbrake is that it requires a full encode (many hours), however your other option is to go in to handbrake, set all of the settings for video to a ridiculously low amount, convert the audio you want, then mux the video from the original, and the audio from the encoded file, in subler. This should only take a few minutes.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
What tools do you use when you want to downmix AC3 audio such as DTS tracks to Dolby Digital?

I'm using Subler, but I feel like I'm missing something. How do I go about down mixing to 5.1 rather than Pro Logic fake 5.1.

Subler can't downmix to AC-3, only to AAC. Use the latest beta of MP4Tools, it can downmix to AC-3 even in batch mode.

These are teh settings you'll need to use in non-batch mode (feel free to tell me if you also need the settings in batch mode), here, showing the Monsters video ( http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/h264_1080p_hp_4.1_10mbps_dts_unstyled_subs_monsters.mkv ) as an input. I've annotated the radio button you must select:

mp4tools-dts-to-ac3-downmix.png

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Thanks, so I either reencode to grab the 5.1 sound or I use MP4 Tools. At least now I know that I wasn't doing anything wrong and now I can get down to sorting out my audio tracks so they can be played on my Apple TV in 5.1.

Cheers guys.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.