Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:20 AM   #1
ipearr
macrumors newbie

Lost iPhone 5, when can I get a 2nd one?

Unfortunately, I think I just lost my iphone 5 tonight. I do have the 6.99 insurance plan, but I wonder when can I get the replacement, since as I heard it still takes one month for Apple to ship iphone 5.

If one month is the case, I wonder if I can simply got an iPhone 4 or 4s instead of waiting another month for iPhone 5?

Any ideas/thoughts are welcomed
ipearr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipearr View Post
Unfortunately, I think I just lost my iphone 5 tonight. I do have the 6.99 insurance plan, but I wonder when can I get the replacement, since as I heard it still takes one month for Apple to ship iphone 5.

If one month is the case, I wonder if I can simply got an iPhone 4 or 4s instead of waiting another month for iPhone 5?

Sorry about your phone. I would check with your carrier to see how soon they can get you a new iPhone.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:28 AM   #3
jmorales5922
macrumors newbie

Tough spot you're in..

I broke my iphone 5 within 2 weeks of purchasing it,
However, I had best buys geek Squad protection plan. It took them nearly a month to replace it. I sent it in October 21st. And just got it today. However they did replace it with a brand new in box one at the store and bumped me up to a 64GB free of charge for the wait. I had a galaxy s3 to get me through the wait, I'd suggest just to do the claim
jmorales5922 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:30 AM   #4
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Contact who you have the insurance through.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:34 AM   #5
ipearr
macrumors newbie

I had the AT&t insurance that the sales assistant highly suggested for the first 2 months, now I think it is kind of non sense if they cannot replace it for me immediately, like they promised online...
ipearr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:17 AM   #6
1080p
macrumors 68000

Over the years I have developed a set of cardinal rules regarding iPhones. They can be applied to any smartphone... but since myself and a lot of my friends are Apple fans... I call them my iPhone Cardinal Rules. It is very simple. Following them has caused me to never lose or misplace an iPhone.

Cardinal Rule #1.

If your iPhone isn't in your hand, it's in your pocket.

Cardinal Rule #2.

If your iPhone isn't in your pocket it's in your hand.

There are only 2 exceptions to Cardinal Rule #2.

#1 Exception:
If you are home, your iPhone can be left at your charge/sync area to charge or sync if that is consistently the same place you charge/sync. Don't constantly move your charger around your house.

#2 Exception:
If you have a docking station for your iPhone in your vehicle, you may dock it there while driving, but under no circumstances are you to leave your vehicle unless you execute Cardinal Rule #1 or #2.

I recite these rules to friends who leave their phones on the table while enjoying a meal at the restaurant. By doing this, you are just asking for a drink to spill on your phone or to just forget it when you pay your bill and leave.

Another one for guys is leaving it on the top of a urinal toilet while going to the bathroom. Why not just stick it in your pocket while you take a pee?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:34 AM   #7
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

That really sucks to lose your phone, can't afford to be so careless with an expensive an sought-after device.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:40 AM   #8
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm I think it's worth asking them for a 4/4s until the 5 comes in. Alternatively you can buy a 4 off kijiji/Craigslist for cheap and use that until your 5 comes in and then sell it for near what you paid. If you are so inclined, buy a scuffed up one for a lot less, and restore it yourself to sell for more than what you bought it for. Just some options to get you going while you are phone less.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:49 AM   #9
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipearr View Post

Have you called them yet? Some require a police report for lost phones be filed before they'll issue a replacement. Also, they may have a stock of replacements on-hand already, vs having to order you one directly from Apple and having you wait.

How much is the deductible for losing it?
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:14 AM   #10
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Over the years I have developed a set of cardinal rules regarding iPhones. They can be applied to any smartphone... but since myself and a lot of my friends are Apple fans... I call them my iPhone Cardinal Rules. It is very simple. Following them has caused me to never lose or misplace an iPhone.

Cardinal Rule #1.

Cardinal Rule #2.

I've followed your rules since 2007 (actually before that with my older phones) and have never misplaced it or needed to use Find my iPhone. Seems like more people would be better off following the above rules than buy insurance and be more careless in the process (and subject themselves to a lengthy wait time for the replacement).
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Cuechick
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post

Cardinal Rule #1.

Cardinal Rule #2.

There are only 2 exceptions to Cardinal Rule #2.

#1 Exception:
If you are home, your iPhone can be left at your charge/sync area to charge or sync if that is consistently the same place you charge/sync. Don't constantly move your charger around your house.

#2 Exception:
If you have a docking station for your iPhone in your vehicle, you may dock it there while driving, but under no circumstances are you to leave your vehicle unless you execute Cardinal Rule #1 or #2.

I recite these rules to friends who leave their phones on the table while enjoying a meal at the restaurant. By doing this, you are just asking for a drink to spill on your phone or to just forget it when you pay your bill and leave.

Another one for guys is leaving it on the top of a urinal toilet while going to the bathroom. Why not just stick it in your pocket while you take a pee?
I like this very much but will just amend it (for me) from "pocket" to "purse"
and with my new iPhone I have been extra diligent to put it in the actual pocket in my purse made for a phone. I use to just throw my old one in willy nilly and then spend extra time searching for it.

To the OP: Sorry yours was lost, did you have the "find my iphone" locator on?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:54 PM   #12
indyzzzz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuechick View Post
I like this very much but will just amend it (for me) from "pocket" to "purse"
and with my new iPhone I have been extra diligent to put it in the actual pocket in my purse made for a phone. I use to just throw my old one in willy nilly and then spend extra time searching for it.

To the OP: Sorry yours was lost, did you have the "find my iphone" locator on?
Actually, findmyiphone does not need to be installed on the lost/stolen idevice (common misconception). Just need to activate it when you initially setup your idevice. Then you can locate your idevice through iCloud.

The findmyiphone app is used to locate your other idevices, should you. "Lose" them.
indyzzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:25 AM   #13
Cuechick
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyzzzz View Post
Actually, findmyiphone does not need to be installed on the lost/stolen idevice (common misconception). Just need to activate it when you initially setup your idevice. Then you can locate your idevice through iCloud.

The findmyiphone app is used to locate your other idevices, should you. "Lose" them.
I know, that is why I asked if he had "it on" or I guess I should have said "activated"...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone