Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jl9148

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
My macbook was recently stolen and I just have a few questions.

I am currently trying to locate it via iCloud's tracking service, however the thieves have yet to connect the laptop to wifi. So far, I've initiated it to erase my mac as well as locking it.

My questions are:

Is it possible that the thieves can prevent me from erasing my mac remotely? Let's say they want to connect to wifi but are too scared to be tracked. Is it possible for them to completely erase my macbook to avoid me tracking them?

Even if the laptop is erased by myself remotely, by the thieves re-installing OSX, or if they try to "re-register" the macbook to be under their name, will the serial number ALWAYS be associated with MY iCloud/Apple ID?

If they do erase everything from my macbook, is it possible for the thieves to transfer ownership of the serial number from me to them? Thus, making it impossible for me to track them using the serial number?

I just want to know if it is possible that that macbook will always be trackable by me only regardless if the thieves completely erase the harddrive and/or register it under their Apple ID email address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.