Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1
stephy0
macrumors newbie

How to copy data using DiskWarrior

My Macbook Pro doesn't start. It just stays in the screen with the apple logo and the spinning wheel. I had just purchased it in January. After investigating, I got the following:
Invalid sibling link
Invalid node structure
The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired.

I used DiskWarrior v 4.4 to try to repair it but it tells me: The new directory cannot replace the original directory because of a disk malfunction. It tells me to back up my data using the dual browser preview window before I replace the directory. This is the part I'm not sure how to do. It doesn't let me copy from the preview pane meaning the 'copy' button is grayed out. Do I need an external hard drive or should I connect my Macbook to the Macbook I am currently using? I also have Data Rescue 3 in a CD so I don't know if I'm better off using that.
stephy0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:02 AM   #2
PerformaGuy
macrumors member

Your disk might be beyond a software repair solution, as great as DiskWarriror is (saved me a few times).

I think at this point if the data is really valuable to you and you have no backup, it would be safer to stop any further disk activity and call up a place like Drive Savers and get a quote on a physical repair/recovery.

Further activity (read and write) on the disk could put your data at risk.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help