Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:16 AM   #1
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Battery while sleeping

How much does everyone's battery drop while sleeping? Slept about 7 hrs last night and when're from 57% to 50%. That seemed like alot to me. Maybe that's common. How about everyone else?
bhigh8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Dragoro
macrumors 6502

Thats 1% an hour, that doesnt seem bad at all.
Dragoro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

That's bad.

My 3GS drops 1% every night on standby only. If I turn on airplane mode, it doesn't even drop at all.

You left LTE on?
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:38 AM   #4
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

No this is on home wifi. My 4 would only drop a percent or two. That why I asked. 7 may be more common but definitely not what what I was used to. Curious to here other thoughts.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Dragoro
macrumors 6502

By sleeping do you mean when you turn the phone off? If not, then what is the difference between stand by and sleeping?
Dragoro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:41 AM   #6
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhigh8 View Post
No this is on home wifi. My 4 would only drop a percent or two. That why I asked. 7 may be more common but definitely not what what I was used to. Curious to here other thoughts.
Maybe lte is left on since I don't turn it off and phone will change from lte or 3G while phone is in standby.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
By sleeping do you mean when you turn the phone off? If not, then what is the difference between stand by and sleeping?
Nothing. I just never go very long without messing with the phone except while sleeping.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Try turning off wifi when you're sleeping. Put the phone in Airplane mode too if you want, it helps to save battery.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:53 AM   #8
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Try turning off wifi when you're sleeping. Put the phone in Airplane mode too if you want, it helps to save battery.
Would I still get calls in airplane mode. I only leave it on for calls in case someone needs to get ahold of me. How come the 4 only lost a percent or two and this loses 7?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

You can't use airplane mode and still get a phone call. Forget about this "problem".

It can vary for different reasons. 0 to 7 percent drop is perfectly normal for overnight and receiving emails etc. If it's really driving you nuts then shut off the percentage feature and look at the battery bar.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:34 AM   #10
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
You can't use airplane mode and still get a phone call. Forget about this "problem".

It can vary for different reasons. 0 to 7 percent drop is perfectly normal for overnight and receiving emails etc. If it's really driving you nuts then shut off the percentage feature and look at the battery bar.
yeah. i just found another standy battery thread and there were others losing 7% in 7hrs. but many who were only losing 1%. i only have email on manual. my battery in general isnt bad but isnt the best on here either. just trying to get an idea of some of the numbers on mine.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:35 AM   #11
BenTrovato
macrumors 65816

Settings, notifications. The less in notification the center the better the battery life. Then go to the ones not in notification center one by one. Make sure they are all set to off. You should see a big increase in battery life. Mine would drop 5-10 over night. Now it's 1 or 2 percent at the most.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:39 AM   #12
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
Settings, notifications. The less in notification the center the better the battery life. Then go to the ones not in notification center one by one. Make sure they are all set to off. You should see a big increase in battery life. Mine would drop 5-10 over night. Now it's 1 or 2 percent at the most.
i only have weather, phone, meassages and mail in notifications center. some games on for badges but no one is playing me at night. i wonder if it has something to do with when your phone goes to standby it moves out of wifi and to LTE. then when i use phone it switches back to wifi. sitting in LTE and doing nothing may be using some of that battery.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:42 AM   #13
BenTrovato
macrumors 65816

Quote:
i only have weather, phone, meassages and mail in notifications center. some games on for badges but no one is playing me at night. i wonder if it has something to do with when your phone goes to standby it moves out of wifi and to LTE. then when i use phone it switches back to wifi. sitting in LTE and doing nothing may be using some of that battery.
What about the ones not in notification center? My not list is very long.
I would bet if you went into each one some would be set to on, they need to be turned to off. It's not well known, but if they have on switches but NOT in notification center they will still eat battery.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:48 AM   #14
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

if I get notifications It will drop from whatever percent it was when I went to bed down to low 90's high 80's.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:54 AM   #15
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
What about the ones not in notification center? My not list is very long.
I would bet if you went into each one some would be set to on, they need to be turned to off. It's not well known, but if they have on switches but NOT in notification center they will still eat battery.
just checked and have about 4 games with badges on, everything else is turned to off.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone