Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:18 AM   #1
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a

Macbook Air 2013 - 10 hours battery?

With Intels Haswell CPU do you think we could get 10 hours on a single charge on the next MBA ?

http://www.cio.com.au/article/436109..._haswell_chip/
kristoffer4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:53 AM   #2
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

Ten hours of battery life sounds nice, but might Apple take advantage of the low-power CPU to reduce the battery size, making the laptop thinner?

I'm sure other PC vendors will be putting in the same size battery and then bragging about how awesome their battery life is.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:02 AM   #3
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer4 View Post
With Intels Haswell CPU do you think we could get 10 hours on a single charge on the next MBA ?

http://www.cio.com.au/article/436109..._haswell_chip/
Unlikely. The processor doesn't use most of power anymore; most of the power is used for the display. So there is very little hope that any improvement in the processor on its own could double battery life.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:15 AM   #4
LiveinRiot
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIO text
"Based on the different power requirements, Intel has also splintered future Haswell chips into two families, which will be available in ultrabooks starting next year. A new family of unnamed Haswell processors will draw under 10 watts of power and will be targeted at convertible ultrabooks. The company is also continuing the venerable Core processors that consume between 15 watts and 17 watts of power. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIO text
PC makers have quoted ultrabooks with Ivy Bridge delivering battery life of between six and eight hours, and up to 10 hours in some cases. The new chips could give convertible ultrabooks battery life of more than 12 hours, and perhaps up to 20 hours.
I think Apple will redesign the MacBook Air model for a thinner, lighter, or will use a more powerful processor, though I prefer a battery life of between 10 ~ 12h. Because with a better autonomy with their laptops, the iPad will have a part of their sales suffer on account of a group buy just for its battery life.
LiveinRiot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:24 AM   #5
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a

A thinner lighter mba?! How much thinner could you make it? I has to be the width of a usb socket unless they go full thunderbolt and maybe mini usb.....
kristoffer4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:13 PM   #6
GrandPhrase
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer4 View Post
A thinner lighter mba?! How much thinner could you make it? I has to be the width of a usb socket unless they go full thunderbolt and maybe mini usb.....
Remember it's an illusion.. There's quite a bit of depth below that geometric knife of a triangle.. Or do they keep that bulge on purpose to make it easier to lift your MBA? Or just for the thin illusion while adding space for components?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarond12 View Post
Ten hours of battery life sounds nice, but might Apple take advantage of the low-power CPU to reduce the battery size, making the laptop thinner?

I'm sure other PC vendors will be putting in the same size battery and then bragging about how awesome their battery life is.
I think there will be a balance between thin and more battery so maybe 8.5 hrs? (Assuming Haswell gives 10 hrs of course). This may be because of the addition of retina so they may need the additional battery to at least maintain that current 7 hrs.
GrandPhrase is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air