Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1
WatchYouGo
macrumors member

New iPad 4, what would we like to see different?

I've been playing with my new 64gb iPad LTE and I really like it. I had the original iPad and also an iPad 3 (yeah, buying 2 iPads in one year kinda sucked, but nobody twisted my arm). The differences in the 4 vs. the 3 are there, but definitely not super drastic. The 4 is faster, I've mainly noticed this when gesturing through open apps (or at least it seems more responsive in that regard). The lightning connector is nice too. I know changing form the 30 pin is a real pain for most people, including myself, but it plugs into the devices much easier now (this is most noticeable when your in a dark room or vehicle at night).

So what would we like to changed in the current OS of this iPad and also what are the hopes for the 5th gen? Personally, I'd prefer to see the split screen keyboard changed around some. One thing I liked about the mini was the size of the keyboard when holding it vertically and typing with thumbs. It's great that we can split the keyboard on the iPad to make typing easier, I just wish that the split keyboard was a little bigger, maybe increase the size 25%.

I'm personally not too concerned with the thickness of the iPad, IMO it's already thin, but I would like to see some weight dropped off. While it's not heavy to carry around, lighter would be an improvement.

What else would be nice to have changed?
WatchYouGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

I'd like it to be renamed for what it is, the iPad 3s.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
I'd like it to be renamed for what it is, the iPad 3s.
As soon as you show me where they brand a MacbookS because of CPU bump.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:16 AM   #4
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Thinner, lighter, less heat, smaller bezel (like the mini).
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
As soon as you show me where they brand a MacbookS because of CPU bump.
Macbook? We are talking iOS devices here. The 3GS and the 4S were mostly chip bumps + better camera.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:49 PM   #6
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502

Igzo.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:59 PM   #7
aka777
macrumors 6502a

I prefer the mini's rounded bezel. Whereas, the ipad 2/3/4 feel like they are cutting into you.
aka777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:19 PM   #8
akdj
macrumors 65816

I'm very pleasantly surprised by the speed increase. I use the app 'The Early Edition' as my morning newspaper...have since iPad 1. I'm like the OP. I buy each iteration and with a growing son, and a bride that also enjoys iOS, as well as a business that's literally been transformed by both iPad and iPhone alike...it's always been an easy decision. This time, with a quick 7 month turn around, I debated a bit. Bought the 4 on launch day...backed up from my '3' and loaded up Early Edition with my RSS feeds...and was completely floored by the speed increase when updating the daily paper. Easily three times as fast and that's not embellishment!!!

I'm happy...MORE than happy with the performance of the A6, screen once again is amazing...but the form factor of the 'mini' is awesome! For me, the greatest improvements to the big iPad would be continuous refinement of the weight and 'hold ability' factor. I bought the mini the same day as the 4--& I'm in love with it's design

As well, more RAM has been proven with each increase it's value while using memory intensive apps or multitasking, multiple tabs in browser, etc.

For now, IMHO, I think we are perfect for CPU and GPU 'speed'. Battery life is also amazing. The higher amperage 'lightning' connector is also a nice surprise. It's charging my '4' quicker than the '3's connector. 10watt vs. 12.

The '4' is a subtle yet significant update, again, IMHO. While of course, YMMV

J
akdj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:19 PM   #9
azentropy
macrumors 65816

While there were some significant upgrades from the 2 to the 3 there were some things that were a step back as well. It was thicker, it was heavier, it didn't have as long of battery life and the battery takes much longer to re-charge. While the new 12W charger the 4 charges a bit faster and battery life is improved, but is still heavier and thicker than the iPad 2.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
Thinner, lighter, less heat, smaller bezel (like the mini).
This plus a file system and memory slot. If no expandable memory then offer up to 128gb (without gouging us). Also, multiple user accounts. Yes, Apple, sometimes we are sharing devices.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:58 PM   #11
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
This plus a file system and memory slot. If no expandable memory then offer up to 128gb (without gouging us). Also, multiple user accounts. Yes, Apple, sometimes we are sharing devices.
Obviously none of this will ever happen
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:03 PM   #12
ixodes
macrumors 601

This is an excellent model.

Now it would be wise for Apple to spend time returning to the quality & consistency they were once known for.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:32 PM   #13
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Increased pressure sensitivity for writing and drawing.

Last edited by Awakener; Nov 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:36 PM   #14
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
This is an excellent model.

Now it would be wise for Apple to spend time returning to the quality & consistency they were once known for.
They are not having any more trouble in those areas than any other time.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:16 PM   #15
WatchYouGo
macrumors member

It would maybe be nice if the shell wasn't so slick. I swear that if I don't have it in the case and put it down on the couch it will slide off the seat, hit the floor, proceed down the stairs and through the front door, possibly never to be found again.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:02 PM   #16
ejin222
macrumors member

Is it just me but have we stopped expecting great things out of Apple lately? Are we really only expecting faster, lighter, longer battery and other evolutionary changes?

I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 3 but I wish Apple would wow us again...

Here's to hoping to an amazing 2013 product line
ejin222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:11 PM   #17
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinOSX View Post
They are not having any more trouble in those areas than any other time.
Actually you're right, Apples Perfect.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:22 PM   #18
DRGTG
macrumors newbie

Thinner, lighter and longer battery
DRGTG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:58 PM   #19
That70sGAdawg
macrumors 6502

Location: North Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
Put Stereo speakers on the front, or at least the bottom (like the mini), and I'm good...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:45 PM   #20
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejin222 View Post
Is it just me but have we stopped expecting great things out of Apple lately? Are we really only expecting faster, lighter, longer battery and other evolutionary changes?

I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 3 but I wish Apple would wow us again...

Here's to hoping to an amazing 2013 product line
What "great things" do you expect? Everything's been done so time to improve it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad