Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henriknorem

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Haugesund, Norway
I'm heading into a controversial subject now.

Yesterday, I picked up my iPhone 5, and accidentally made contact between the iPhone's edge and my iPad's edge. They merely touched each other, but it still made some very nice scratches on my iPhone.

What surprised me, though, was that, lying on the iPad's bezel, were flakes of dark paint from the iPhone! I could pick it up and hold it in my hand, tear it in half etc.

I was really shocked, because Apple tell us that the color is part of the aluminum itself, but based on this, I'm wondering..

Has anyone else experienced finding "paint flakes" after scuffing their iPhone's? I still can't understand how this happened, so please fill me in if you know something I don't! :)

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011

Yesterday, I picked up my iPhone 5, and accidentally made contact between the iPhone's edge and my iPad's edge. They merely touched each other, but it still made some very nice scratches on my iPhone.

What surprised me, though, was that, lying on the iPad's bezel, were flakes of dark paint from the iPhone! I could pick it up and hold it in my hand, tear it in half etc.

I was really shocked, because Apple tell us that the color is part of the aluminum itself, but based on this, I'm wondering..

Has anyone else experienced finding "paint flakes" after scuffing their iPhone's? I still can't understand how this happened, so please fill me in if you know something I don't! :)

They merely touched and the iPhone scratched and leaved flakes of paint on your iPad and you could hold them and tear them in half?

Im sorry but I said this is BS

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
They merely touched and the iPhone scratched and leaved flakes of paint on your iPad and you could hold them and tear them in half?

Im sorry but I said this is BS

yeah man if it came off at touch.. he would pick his phone up and have **** on his hands.. or better yet.. in the box when he opened it

henriknorem

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Haugesund, Norway
Why do you say so, jomirrivera? I lifted my iPhone and they touched. It was the edge of the iPad so that might have been why. While my iPhone has scratches on it, the iPad is still spotless. I never said the flakes were big, let's say they were a mm, but I could separate them into pieces, and I emphasized that because it made me suspect it was a layer of paint.

There is something fundamentally wrong on this forum when 80% of the people just call "BS" on every thread where people are trying to tell a story. What do I, or any other person, have to win on making up stories about these things?

----------

Residue from the anodizing coating, which does wear away in the long run (a defective one rubs off prematurely even with normal wiping).

Ok, thanks for the information. Shame it wears away, because the iPhone looks really great when it's all black.

But now that I have a scuff on it, I can finally stop looking after it like it's a newborn baby. :rolleyes:

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011

MacRumors is probably a bad place to ask about engineering questions.

As an engineer let me answer yours.

Anodized coatings should never rub off in flakes, they rub off as a powder (which requires extreme force). They simply do no flake off in my experience. The chamfered edge of the phone (the black part not the bluish grayish "slate" part of the metal) IS painted with black paint though. So the phone is actually a mix of paint and anodizing. The white phone has a bare metal edge.

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011

Anodized coatings should never rub off in flakes, they rub off as a powder (which requires extreme force). They simply do no flake off in my experience. The chamfered edge of the phone (the black part not the bluish grayish "slate" part of the metal) IS painted with black paint though. So the phone is actually a mix of paint and anodizing. The white phone has a bare metal edge.

I'm an engineer, also, and this sounds correct to me. Question, though, why would they use paint on just the chamfer? Why not just anodize all the surfaces?

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
I'm an engineer, also, and this sounds correct to me. Question, though, why would they use paint on just the chamfer? Why not just anodize all the surfaces?

Because it's Apple we're talking about here. They want an intricate design and honestly I can appreciate that the chamfer is gloss black while the rest of the bezel is matte dark grey.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
There is something fundamentally wrong on this forum when 80% of the people just call "BS" on every thread where people are trying to tell a story.
Simply because this is a 'fan' forum and anyone without something glowing to say about an Apple product will get shouted down right quick.

It's a psychological thing and hard to fathom, but there it is. It's deemed a personal attack on something they have an unhealthy emotional attachment to.

Anyway, from what you and others are reporting, it does, in fact, seem like the edges are painted while the back has a weak anodizing over soft aluminum. Not sure what Apple is thinking here.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Simply because this is a 'fan' forum and anyone without something glowing to say about an Apple product will get shouted down right quick.

It's a psychological thing and hard to fathom, but there it is. It's deemed a personal attack on something they have an unhealthy emotional attachment to.

Anyway, from what you and others are reporting, it does, in fact, seem like the edges are painted while the back has a weak anodizing over soft aluminum. Not sure what Apple is thinking here.

c-c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal

Thats EXACTLY the problem with these forums. MacRumors is an Apple-centric site yet it's so difficult to have a true Apple discussion because any honest negativity brings in the defense-squad. Just look at this thread where the OP has a legitimate question that would help A LOT of people and he has to label it as "controversial"? Why? Is it because of the subject matter or because of the insecurity of the defenders?
Ive been dying to ask about paint chipping so im glad someone else brought up the topic. My "controversial" opinion is that the wear and tear on a caseless iPhone5 is pretty ugly. While the original iPhone was prone to scratches and discoloration which made it look rugged and cool, the iPhone5 is very uneven because my anodized back and anodized band looks new but the chamford edges are wearing down silver and any area with a tiny imperfection out of the box now is a much larger chip. So the fact that the edges are painted really is an issue

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.

Exactly! If only people would do a modicum of research and threads such as this could be unnecessary. A quick check on the Apple site gives the explanation:-

"Look at iPhone 5 and you can’t help but notice the exquisite chamfer surrounding the display. A crystalline diamond cuts this bevelled edge. It’s what gives iPhone 5 its distinctive lines. Fitting for a phone so brilliant."

The video explains it even better by showing the rotary cutters removing the edges of the anodised back panel. In order to protect the naked aluminium bevelled edges from oxidizing, a protective (and coloured) coating is obviously applied.

henriknorem

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Haugesund, Norway

That should explain it all, then. Thanks!

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
I took a good look at that chamfered edge with a jeweler's loop; sure enough, it does look like paint to me. Which explains why the chamfer wears and is more easily damaged than the anodized surfaces. It does have esthetic appeal when new, giving a sharp 2-toned appearance, but given the unequal wear characteristics I question the long-term quality.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Why do you say so, jomirrivera? I lifted my iPhone and they touched. It was the edge of the iPad so that might have been why. While my iPhone has scratches on it, the iPad is still spotless. I never said the flakes were big, let's say they were a mm, but I could separate them into pieces, and I emphasized that because it made me suspect it was a layer of paint.

There is something fundamentally wrong on this forum when 80% of the people just call "BS" on every thread where people are trying to tell a story. What do I, or any other person, have to win on making up stories about these things?

So 1mm and you could separate them into pieces?

This is getting better!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 117
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.