Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1
shiinx
macrumors newbie

Locating quality (GPS, WiFi)

I am aware that only iPads with cellular offer GPS, but there is also the possibility of localization through WiFi. But I don't know whether this option is available for iPads with WiFi only. So, is this possible with current generation iPads?
I realize, if possible, the localization quality will be much worse compared to localization with GPS. But let's say I am in a really big city (New York or Tokyo, for example), how are my chances to actually get a rough localization with WiFi only - and how rough would it be?

Basically, I am currently pondering whether I have to buy a cellular model (don't need the cellular only the GPS), or whether I can get along with WiFi localization. I would only need it to get a rough position when I am completely lost in an unknown city.
shiinx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:25 AM   #2
mfr1340
macrumors regular

Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiinx View Post
I am aware that only iPads with cellular offer GPS, but there is also the possibility of localization through WiFi. But I don't know whether this option is available for iPads with WiFi only. So, is this possible with current generation iPads?
I realize, if possible, the localization quality will be much worse compared to localization with GPS. But let's say I am in a really big city (New York or Tokyo, for example), how are my chances to actually get a rough localization with WiFi only - and how rough would it be?

Basically, I am currently pondering whether I have to buy a cellular model (don't need the cellular only the GPS), or whether I can get along with WiFi localization. I would only need it to get a rough position when I am completely lost in an unknown city.
buy a nexus7 for 200.00 and it has a real (full time) GPS.
mfr1340 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:44 AM   #3
shiinx
macrumors newbie

Actually, I had already bought one for this very reason [was my first tablet/smartphone experience] . But after using it for some days, I returned it to the store for various reasons ( locating myself is by far not the most use case for me ).
shiinx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad