Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrFluffums

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
The other morning, my computer froze, and i restarted it, only to be greeted by the flashing question mark folder. I tried resetting the PRAM, resetting the VRAM, booting and holding alt to select my HD, even reseating the HD inside. Nothing worked. I put in my LION OS install DVD and had it repair the disk, which it could not do, and it said that the disk needs to be erased. I tried to erase it, but I got an error message after a bit that said "File System Formatter Failed". I don't know what to do. I have a backup of all my files on an external. Do I need to return the HD? Is there a way to heal it? Help!

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
The hard disc is toast - how old is it ?

Is the MacBook still under warranty or is the hard disc a recent purchase ?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The other morning, my computer froze, and i restarted it, only to be greeted by the flashing question mark folder. I tried resetting the PRAM, resetting the VRAM, booting and holding alt to select my HD, even reseating the HD inside. Nothing worked. I put in my LION OS install DVD and had it repair the disk, which it could not do, and it said that the disk needs to be erased. I tried to erase it, but I got an error message after a bit that said "File System Formatter Failed". I don't know what to do. I have a backup of all my files on an external. Do I need to return the HD? Is there a way to heal it? Help!

You very likely have some bad sectors on the HDD preventing anything from reading/writing to the HDD. If you're computer is still under warranty take it in and have a new HDD put in. Or if you're savvy enough and it's out of warranty you can put a new one in yourself.

I actually use a PC DOS-based program called Spinrite as a maintenance utility and data recovery utility on all my HDD's. You have to have an IBM-PC in order to use it though. You take the HDD out of the Mac and connect it to the IBM-PC and run the program. Below is my old MBP HDD in a Dell PC with Spinrite working on it.

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.