Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:02 PM   #51
NickZac
macrumors 68000

If they want younger votes they need to stop 'defending' marriage and admit we are all equal so we all get equal rights, take a reasonable stance on immigration (which they are beginning to), and acknowledge that today's family is different than 1850. Then concentrate on important things. Their view on defense spending also needs to relax...we simply can't afford it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:05 PM   #52
classicaliberal
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZac View Post
If they want younger votes they need to stop 'defending' marriage and admit we are all equal so we all get equal rights, take a reasonable stance on immigration (which they are beginning to), and acknowledge that today's family is different than 1850. Then concentrate on important things. Their view on defense spending also needs to relax...we simply can't afford it.
Tend to agree these changes would strengthen the party over the next decade.
classicaliberal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:17 PM   #53
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
So who exactly should the Republicans have run?
Loved by all.

iJohnHenry is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:17 PM   #54
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZac View Post
Yup. If they want any chance of competing in future elections, they need to completely remove "defending" marriage and "pro-life" from their platform. These issues aren't even a debate for most young people. It's just common sense that everyone should get equal rights and should be able to make their own medical decisions.

Social networking has made young people way more involved in politics than ever before, so if you think the young people only turned out because they wanted to vote for Obama, you're wrong. There are millions of kids between ages 14-18 who will be able to vote in the next election, and the majority of them feel the same way, so you can expect even more turnout in four years.
zioxide is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:49 PM   #55
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
I don't have figures but while $ amounts are large, when taken as a percentage of total spending it's quite small, I believe.
How about help the healthcare portion of the budget?
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:58 PM   #56
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Yup. If they want any chance of competing in future elections, they need to completely remove "defending" marriage and "pro-life" from their platform. These issues aren't even a debate for most young people. It's just common sense that everyone should get equal rights and should be able to make their own medical decisions.

Social networking has made young people way more involved in politics than ever before, so if you think the young people only turned out because they wanted to vote for Obama, you're wrong. There are millions of kids between ages 14-18 who will be able to vote in the next election, and the majority of them feel the same way, so you can expect even more turnout in four years.
Mitt Romney was almost right when he made his stupid comment although he was implying something different. Younger persons voted for Obama for one reason and that is because Obama won their vote. Obama intentionally went out to appeal to younger voters, where as Mitt Romney was just 'some ole rich guy detached from society who likes to fire people'. Michelle Obama has also had significant interaction with younger voters and the engagement of younger generations. So it shouldnt come as a surprise that the young vote went primarily to Obama given the alternative.

And no, I don't think young people turned out only to vote for Obama. The fastest growing party in the US is the Libertarian party and I think that is because of the socially liberal, fiscally conservative views of younger persons (quite a few young people enthusiastically embrace many of the thoughts of Dr. Paul, myself included).
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:56 PM   #57
NickZac
macrumors 68000

On the future of republican strategy
http://video.foxnews.com/v/1976729131001/

Strategically speaking, making Bobby Jindal chair is a smart move. Notice that he discusses limiting wealthfare, reducing government spending, tax breaks to people in lower brackets, and the rich paying more money by limiting tax breaks.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:47 PM   #58
AlaskaMoose
macrumors 65816

As I mentioned before, while we argue with each other about taxes, Obamacare, and the rest, both the Republicans and the Democrats in Congress will tax us all day and spend all night. The simple fact that Obamacare was legalized as a tax by the Supremes means that all tax payers, not only those earning over $250K will be taxed. If you don't believe it, then you are under an illusion. How do you think that such a large portion of our economy being taken by the Federal Government is going to be paid for?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaeb...-year-earners/

http://www.atr.org/full-list-obamacare-tax-hikes-a6996

And before we start arguing again, please keep in mind that not only a majority of Republicans and independent voters who oppose Obamacare, but a lot of Democrats too. So please put aside your political views-whatever these may be-and see it for what it is.

Last edited by AlaskaMoose; Nov 18, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
AlaskaMoose is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:13 PM   #59
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBazz View Post
...and a big part of that had to do with who the republicans ran.
Unlike other elections....

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I agree that Romney was a weak candidate.
And yet he was the strongest of the bunch.

But back to the topic. The Republican party isn't doomed, but it's taking on water -- and like Curly in a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean, it thinks the solution is to drill holes in the bottom of the boat to let the water out.

Many of the Republican post-mortems which appeared in the days immediately following the election had to do with reaching out to "explain" the party more to women and minorities, recruiting fewer candidates who make dumb comments, and other similar excuses. Few that I saw really focused on any substantive ideas like, say, moving to the center and adopting policies that actually help women, minorities, gays, etc.

And I don't expect any such movement anytime soon. Because that would not only be abandoning biblical principles, but it would mean moving very close to where the Democrats sit -- and that's anathema to them. I'm sure they will continue to think for quite some time that the way you help women and gays and blacks is with a tax cut.

It's just ingrained. No amount of "explaining" themselves or "reaching out" will help. In short, the only way to help themselves is to pretty much become the Democratic party, and let the Democratic party slide more to the left, where such a party would normally be in the rest of the developed world. And they're not gonna do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
Loved by all.

I'm sorry, Dubya is not eligible for another term.
Thomas Veil is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:23 PM   #60
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

It is going to take a LONG time to undo the damage that the Republican party has done to itself. For DECADES they have neglected certain groups and just magically expected to keep winning elections somehow. Even if they started reaching out to Latinos now, it would be many years before they would want to vote for them. Gay people? Yeah, except for some misguided GOProud types, that vote is lost for an entire generation AT LEAST if not longer. Women? Yeah, they won't forget all this talk about "legitimate" rape, threats to close planned parenthood, and an absolute inability to address equal pay anytime soon.

Additionally, they must start fronting electable candidates. This last election was a joke. Huntsman was probably the only reasonable one running in that party. But he was overshadowed by the likes of Bachman, Santorum, and the pizza guy. That's not an election winning formula and only serves to cement in people's minds that the GOP is the party of crazy.

So basically the GOP is screwed. they have a very big image problem. There's been a LOT of water put under that bridge. I do not see how they recover from this fundamental problem anytime soon. It's great to stick to your guns, but when society has moved on from those positions, what are you left with? Not much.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:50 PM   #61
spork183
macrumors 6502a

When the tea party is able to compel candidates to swear fealty to a pact, the Republican Party will not be credible until they sever ties. The Tea Party attracts way to many fringe wackos who are challenged spellers. (see link)

The Republican Party tried to run on a platform of "conservative everyman", with a healthy dose of religious extremism thrown in, but then selected someone with no connection to "everyman", who most of the religious extremists thought belonged to a cult. We can argue taxes, and Obamacare, and fiscal cliffs until the cows come home. Simple fact is, as stated by many on this forum, the Republican Party is due for a change. I've even got the slogan for their next candidate:

Change you can believe in...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...gallery-1.1918
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:08 AM   #62
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

Well don't be surprised if Santorum to tries again in 2016. He is already going around the news outlets saying what Mitt did wrong. So yea I think he is going to make another run.

You would think he learned his lesson. :/

Hugh
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:38 AM   #63
gkarris
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeTheSwitch View Post

Additionally, they must start fronting electable candidates. This last election was a joke. Huntsman was probably the only reasonable one running in that party. But he was overshadowed by the likes of Bachman, Santorum, and the pizza guy. That's not an election winning formula and only serves to cement in people's minds that the GOP is the party of crazy.

So basically the GOP is screwed. they have a very big image problem. There's been a LOT of water put under that bridge. I do not see how they recover from this fundamental problem anytime soon. It's great to stick to your guns, but when society has moved on from those positions, what are you left with? Not much.
The GOP nominating someone from a non-mainstream religion shows how much they've lost it.

I was surprised, when asking, how many fundamental Christians voted for Obama or didn't vote this time....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:18 AM   #64
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMoose View Post
Both the Republican and Democrat parties are doomed unless they take care of our nation first. With the enormous federal budgets, how long do you think that our economy can survive? Meanwhile, while we spend our time arguing with each other instead of questioning their actions, both the Republicans and Democrats have more time to tax us all day, spend all night, and to give themselves pay raises.
True, true, but right now I see the Republicans in a much more dire situation.

It takes two teams to play ball, and no one like a whiny, temperamental team. And practicing within a team is not the same as playing against another.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:22 AM   #65
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
Loved by all.

Except with a name like Dumbo...
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:23 AM   #66
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
So who exactly should the Republicans have run?
Someone who opposes the moral majority, stops defending marriage, and sticks to reducing government debt and encouraging business growth!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:58 AM   #67
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil View Post
Quote:
I agree that Romney was a weak candidate.
And yet he was the strongest of the bunch.
Which goes to show how weak the rest where.

Really, no one wants to run on Rep platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil View Post
But back to the topic. The Republican party isn't doomed, but it's taking on water -- and like Curly in a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean, it thinks the solution is to drill holes in the bottom of the boat to let the water out.
I LMFAO!
Hate to say, guess that is a perfect analogy!
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:06 AM   #68
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Except with a name like Dumbo...
You could pronounce it "DOOOooommmbo".
chown33 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:20 AM   #69
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
As I mentioned before, while we argue with each other about taxes, Obamacare, and the rest, both the Republicans and the Democrats in Congress will tax us all day and spend all night. The simple fact that Obamacare was legalized as a tax by the Supremes means that all tax payers, not only those earning over $250K will be taxed. If you don't believe it, then you are under an illusion. How do you think that such a large portion of our economy being taken by the Federal Government is going to be paid for?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaeb...-year-earners/

http://www.atr.org/full-list-obamacare-tax-hikes-a6996

And before we start arguing again, please keep in mind that not only a majority of Republicans and independent voters who oppose Obamacare, but a lot of Democrats too. So please put aside your political views-whatever these may be-and see it for what it is.
And yet the candidate who created and supported Obamacare received the majority of the votes and won the election. Keep whining all you want but the people have spoken and the majority want to keep Obamacare. It's about time America joined the rest of the modern world with regards to healthcare for its citizens.

In the long run, it's going to save us money, and now no American can be denied health insurance for any reason. That's a good thing.
zioxide is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:20 PM   #70
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork183 View Post
Simple fact is, as stated by many on this forum, the Republican Party is due for a change. I've even got the slogan for their next candidate:

Change you can believe in...
Best advice for the Republicans: change what you believe in.
Thomas Veil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:01 PM   #71
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
People in the US might not have been taxed before Obamacare, but they did pay the price of inadequate health care coverage. Every time somebody goes down financially because they cannot pay their medical bills, or people who cannot work because they cannot afford to pay for surgery, etc. the rest of us pay the price. Again, the US spends much more per capita than many countries with socialized medicine, yet life expectancy is not commensurate with the money spent. The old US health care system was not sustainable - not for people, not for businesses, and not for the government. I know people who live in the richest county in the US who have had to fly overseas to get surgery because they could not afford it in the US.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:34 PM   #72
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
People in the US might not have been taxed before Obamacare, but they did pay the price of inadequate health care coverage. Every time somebody goes down financially because they cannot pay their medical bills, or people who cannot work because they cannot afford to pay for surgery, etc. the rest of us pay the price. Again, the US spends much more per capita than many countries with socialized medicine, yet life expectancy is not commensurate with the money spent. The old US health care system was not sustainable - not for people, not for businesses, and not for the government. I know people who live in the richest county in the US who have had to fly overseas to get surgery because they could not afford it in the US.
Obamacare, corporate welfare pawned off as a solution. Its like putting a rug over dog **** and then claiming the mess is cleaned up.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:35 PM   #73
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeTheSwitch View Post
I have (slim) hopes that Huntsman will take a more prominent role in the reorganization of the GOP and ultimately run again in 2016. He is the first voice from my party in a long time that doesn't completely embarrass me. He is the direction the party needs to go, not the trash we've been given over the past few elections.
Prototypical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:29 PM   #74
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well don't be surprised if Santorum to tries again in 2016. He is already going around the news outlets saying what Mitt did wrong. So yea I think he is going to make another run.

You would think he learned his lesson. :/

Hugh
This election really should have told the GOP what it has been doing wrong. BUt they still don't seem to get it. People do not want government in their personal lives, period. Until they figure this out, they will continue to lose by more and more.
leekohler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:12 PM   #75
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

Lee I agree with you with no hands down, but GOP isn't getting it why they lost. Until that happens I really don't think the mid term elections we will see more GOP losing their seats.

Hugh

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues