Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:16 AM   #1
MacOSXuser
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Should I upgrade ram 2012 Mac mini?

I am seeing a lot of people upgrade their ram to 8GB or even 16GB in their 2012 mini. Right now I have the stock 4GB ram in my system, so far it works for me, I don't see any sluggish(maybe because I am using SSD).

I usually have less than 400MB ram left when I am doing work on my computer, I am wondering if I need 8GB ram as well?

thanks
MacOSXuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:18 AM   #2
stu.h
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: West Midlands, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSXuser View Post
I am seeing a lot of people upgrade their ram to 8GB or even 16GB in their 2012 mini. Right now I have the stock 4GB ram in my system, so far it works for me, I don't see any sluggish(maybe because I am using SSD).

I usually have less than 400MB ram left when I am doing work on my computer, I am wondering if I need 8GB ram as well?

thanks
For the sake of 70 you might as well put 16GB in for a laugh.
stu.h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3
MacOSXuser
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu.h View Post
For the sake of 70 you might as well put 16GB in for a laugh.
you know the higher GB, more hot it runs right? also it cost much more than 8gb(2x4)
MacOSXuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Rhinoevans
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I say 4 is never enough, 8 probably is, but i just upgraded to 16 because of price. Never thought about the heat issue, can't be that much though, ya think.
Rhinoevans is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
limesmoothie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSXuser View Post
you know the higher GB, more hot it runs right? also it cost much more than 8gb(2x4)
I'm running 16GB on the base model 2012 mini and it is barely warm to the touch.

When I costed out a RAM upgrade, the 8GB on Amazon was about 35, the 16GB 55.
__________________
iPhone 5s, iPad Mini, Mac Mini 2012, MBA 11" 2012
limesmoothie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:53 AM   #6
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSXuser View Post
you know the higher GB, more hot it runs right? also it cost much more than 8gb(2x4)
There's far more heat from CPU/GPU than memory.
old-wiz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:13 AM   #7
stu.h
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: West Midlands, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSXuser View Post
you know the higher GB, more hot it runs right? also it cost much more than 8gb(2x4)
Not really, no.
stu.h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:15 AM   #8
theRAMman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Moon.
don't bother, ive always been told that getting more RAM is usually pointless unless your either an intensive photoshopper, doing lots of video editing or screen recording. The whole 'more RAM = Faster computer' thing is pretty false unless you had like 2gb to begin with. You should be fine with the stock memory
__________________
Mac Mini 2012 2.5GHz 8gb RAM, MacBook 2.2GHz C2D
theRAMman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:20 AM   #9
MacOSXuser
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
A lot of people here have their ram upgraded more than 4GB... This seems like a trend now, maybe a lot of us here do photo editing, screen recording, intensive jobs.

But I never really run out of ram, when I used to have 2GB in my MBP, yes I had to force quit applications for the laptop to run. But in this mac mini, I never have to force quit any applications.

It's just seem like a trend, in the old days 1GB was large, then came 2GB for a good few years. And now 4GB seems to be the standard. I wonder how long it takes to reach 8GB to become standard in Macs.
MacOSXuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:23 AM   #10
mchoffa
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
4GB barely cuts it if you use anything from adobe, or aperture for photos, or VM software to run windows, etc. or even if you like to have a lot of tabs open in Chrome. I've got 4 in my current 2008 imac and have to close one program to open another. I keep about 20 tabs open in chrome and have to close that to open aperture. Closing Chrome usually frees up about 1.5 GB of ram, and aperture uses about the same (I've got about 17,000 mostly RAW photos for reference).

As cheap as ram is, there is really no reason to stay at 4GB. It might be "enough" now, just like it was plenty for me in 2008, but software needs grow and eventually you'll want more, and that ram might cost more in 2 years than it does now.
mchoffa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:26 AM   #11
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. McMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
I went from 2gb's to 8 in my base mid 2011 mini. It made a huge difference. I'm not sure if going from 8 to 16gb's will make a noticeable difference. I personally think 8gb's is enough for most people. BTW, I went from 8 to 16gb's in my PC. I noticed absolutely no difference.
__________________
Mid 2011 Mac Mini, 2.3 GHz, 8GB of RAM, 500 GB HD, 2 TB external HD, 46" Samsung Display, 4th gen iPod Shuffle
Custom built Windows 7 PC, Asus ChromeBox, 2nd gen Nexus 7, (2) Roku 3's
Mr. McMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:43 AM   #12
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSXuser View Post
A lot of people here have their ram upgraded more than 4GB... This seems like a trend now, maybe a lot of us here do photo editing, screen recording, intensive jobs.

But I never really run out of ram, when I used to have 2GB in my MBP, yes I had to force quit applications for the laptop to run. But in this mac mini, I never have to force quit any applications.

It's just seem like a trend, in the old days 1GB was large, then came 2GB for a good few years. And now 4GB seems to be the standard. I wonder how long it takes to reach 8GB to become standard in Macs.
well if you are short ram your computer swaps to your hdd which slows you up. In your case you would swap to an ssd which is less of a problem, just go to your activity monitor. on mine I have 1.38gb page

in with 60.8 mb page out and 61.1mb swaps. this is with 8gb ram on a 2011 mini and a large ssd as the booter. So 4 % of the time I use the slower ssd since I exceeded my 8gb ram. 4% is 60 million over 1.4 billion. or close enough.

I do not notice the slower ssd when I swap . yeah it is more writes on my ssd but not too many. look at your activity monitor and if you do 1 billion in and 400 million out or 40% you are using your ssd more. your ssd is harder to change and cost more then ram. so why not drop in the ram. but certainly at least read the activity monitor on and off for a week. it resets with each boot. so don't boot until you check the ram use.

In a week you will be more informed. by the way you can buy 1 8gb stick and then have 10gb ram. 40 bucks or so.


http://www.jr.com/crucial/pe/CRT_102464BF160/

these run 38 to 45
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-17 at 12.43.03 PM.png
Views:	147
Size:	601.5 KB
ID:	377882  

Last edited by philipma1957; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Dweez
macrumors 65816
 
Dweez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Down by the river
If you don't need it, why spend the money? Monitor your system and then determine if you should upgrade.
__________________
sudo make me a sandwich
Dweez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:03 PM   #14
calvol
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
If I were to upgrade, I think I would go with lower latency 8GB RAM (CL9) over 16GB of higher latency RAM (CL11). I don't think many users need more than 8GB unless they have multiple intense numerical processing or video conversion processes going on.
calvol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:31 PM   #15
MacOSXuser
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
well if you are short ram your computer swaps to your hdd which slows you up. In your case you would swap to an ssd which is less of a problem, just go to your activity monitor. on mine I have 1.38gb page

in with 60.8 mb page out and 61.1mb swaps. this is with 8gb ram on a 2011 mini and a large ssd as the booter. So 4 % of the time I use the slower ssd since I exceeded my 8gb ram. 4% is 60 million over 1.4 billion. or close enough.

I do not notice the slower ssd when I swap . yeah it is more writes on my ssd but not too many. look at your activity monitor and if you do 1 billion in and 400 million out or 40% you are using your ssd more. your ssd is harder to change and cost more then ram. so why not drop in the ram. but certainly at least read the activity monitor on and off for a week. it resets with each boot. so don't boot until you check the ram use.

In a week you will be more informed. by the way you can buy 1 8gb stick and then have 10gb ram. 40 bucks or so.


http://www.jr.com/crucial/pe/CRT_102464BF160/

these run 38 to 45
I just looked..

VM size 278.19GB
page ins: 16.22GB
Pages out: 17.54 GB
Swap used: 2.41GB

SO does it means i am always exceeding 4GB of ram and using my SSD very much?
uptime 9 days.
MacOSXuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:04 PM   #16
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I would add some ram. you are doing it often enough that even though the speed may not suffer you are writing on the ssd.

So far 2.41gb (swaps) in 9 days.


That translates to at least 100gb in a year. If you have a 128gb ssd it is extra wear and tear. One 8gb stick of ram should stop the wear and tear on the ssd. See if your stock ram is this.

These are micron the same as crucial.


http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...CT102464BF160B

this will work with it and solve all issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2312.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	377906  
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:51 PM   #17
MacOSXuser
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
I would add some ram. you are doing it often enough that even though the speed may not suffer you are writing on the ssd.

So far 2.41gb (swaps) in 9 days.


That translates to at least 100gb in a year. If you have a 128gb ssd it is extra wear and tear. One 8gb stick of ram should stop the wear and tear on the ssd. See if your stock ram is this.

These are micron the same as crucial.


http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...CT102464BF160B

this will work with it and solve all issues.
yes thats the exact ram I got.

you said 1x8GB, but why not 2x4gb? isn't it dual channel better?
MacOSXuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:24 PM   #18
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSXuser View Post
yes thats the exact ram I got.

you said 1x8GB, but why not 2x4gb? isn't it dual channel better?
well sometimes but not as much as 10 years ago. there was a time matched pairs were a must.

controllers now are better so the benefits of matched pairs are less with the ivy bridge and sandy bridge.

Buying a pair of the 4gb gives you 8 gb and costs about the same as the 1x 8gb stick which gives you 10gb. Either way should be good.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:27 PM   #19
MacOSXuser
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
8GB ram stick gives me 10GB?
MacOSXuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:33 PM   #20
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816
 
Sir Ruben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Just installed 16GB, thought that if I was going to upgrade then I may as well put the max in.

System is breezing through everything now, importing into and running iPhoto for example is a lot faster now.
__________________
iMac (27") iPad Air (16GB White) Retina iPad Mini (16GB White) iPhone 6 (16GB Space Gray) Apple TV rMBP (13")
My Flickr
Sir Ruben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:35 PM   #21
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSXuser View Post
8GB ram stick gives me 10GB?
yeah leave in a 2gb stick and add an eight gb stick. 2 plus 8 = 10gb

mixed sizes should work.. I have mixed sizes in minis 2009 2010 2011
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:39 PM   #22
iPhil
macrumors 68030
 
iPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A$$hat free location,and helping Mac bring back teh sexy-ness era back
Send a message via AIM to iPhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSXuser View Post
8GB ram stick gives me 10GB?
Swap out a 2GB stick on a '12 mini = 2x2GB =4GB base - 2GB + 8GB= 10GB
iPhil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:46 PM   #23
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5
 
CanadaRAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
Dual channel memory access theoretically doubles the RAM access speed but the effect on overall performance is lower, It has about a 6% - 8% advantage in real-world speed over the same amount of RAM in single channel mode (tested with Photoshop and other application performance)

So 2 x 4 is a bit faster than 1 x 8. 2 x 8 would be ideal of course.

More RAM doesn't speed up a machine, but it removes barriers to speed - like taking your foot off the brake pedal doesn't make your car go faster, but it does stop slowing it down.

As mentioned, when you multitask more than a couple of programs open at once, then you exceed the physical amount of RAM and OSX is forced to page out and page in memory contents to the hard drive to make room. This causes a slow down because hard drives are hundreds of times slower than RAM chips. An SSD is better but it is still many dozens of times slower than RAM.

iPhoto is a great example of RAM vs hard drive: it loads its thumbnails into RAM, so the first hundred or two images load up quickly. But if you have a large library, you've probably noticed that when it hits a certain point, they slow to a crawl. That's because iPhoto has loaded as much as it can into RAM and it's now having to hit the hard drive. If you increase the RAM, the bar gets raised, and iPhoto can load up many more thumbnails quickly, before hitting the ceiling.

The Page Out / Page In figures posted (about 1:1) indicates that the user is regularly going over the 4 GB of RAM. Your Page Out to Page In ratio should be 1:5 or lower. Ideally, the Page Out number should be 10% or less of the Page In. (Because these numbers are cumulative, the absolute numbers don't mean anything, it's the ratio between the two that is important.)

http://www.computer-answers.ca/2011/...y-computer-do/

http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/29/does-...a-ram-upgrade/
__________________
Expert
Ex = former, no longer. Spurt = a leak, esp. when caused by water pressure. Expert = a has-been drip under pressure.
CanadaRAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:52 PM   #24
MacOSXuser
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
I see... thank you a lot guys... really thank you... learnt a lot from you all.

I know what to do now
MacOSXuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:17 PM   #25
dasx
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
I needed -at least- 10GB for some reasons (work stuff). After seeing Apple's prices for 16GB checked online for a simple 8GB module (was gonna put 10GB) but saw I could get two for just €74 so went for it.

If you got the money, go for it. You can always wait some months and still get better prices.
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac mini late 2012 ram upgrade Noetics Buying Tips and Advice 5 Nov 11, 2013 04:05 AM
Mac Mini 2012 startup jitter after 16GB RAM Upgrade cheerup347 Mac mini 12 Apr 4, 2013 08:41 AM
Resolved: Mac Mini 2012 ram upgrade Qs saha-med Mac mini 8 Mar 28, 2013 08:45 PM
Mac Mini 2012 crashes after RAM upgrade art-tour Mac mini 19 Dec 2, 2012 08:07 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC