Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cos.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Googling for how to do this on OS X (I have Snow Leopard) turned up some suggestions to try AVITools, which I downloaded. However when I take an AVI file straight off my camera card and open it in AVITools it tells me "could not identify video track".

I'm not wedded to AVITools if there's another option out there. Is it better for me to spend some time trying to troubleshoot this specific problem, or should I look for something else? I'm not sure.

Do any of you have an easy way to join or split AVI videos on OS X?

(I understand that to do this the videos inside the AVI files would need to be the same format, but I want this to work with videos that are all from the same camera so that's not a problem)

Last edited:

cos.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012

cos.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
install MacPorts https://www.macports.org/install.php

Code:
port install mplayer

installs mencoder

Code:
cat file1.avi file2.avi file3.avi > video_draft.avi

after appending the data together using cat above, you need to re-index the draft movie like this:

Code:
mencoder video_draft.avi -o video_final.avi -forceidx -ovc copy -oac copy

Now you're video_final.avi file will be right to go.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Huh, what suggests to you that it's possible to do so using that piece of software? I didn't see anything on its web page that indicates it can do it
Wondershare Video Editor for Win & Mac
• Trim, cut, split, merge, rotate and mix videos/audios/photos
Note the word "merge", taken from the webpage

Just in case, I downloaded it and ran it... and I still don't see any such feature. What am I not noticing?
Add your movies then go to the Share menu and choose Creating Video...

although not tried it yet
I have now, and it works fine for me.

illimanisnow

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
I have another solution, QuickTime 7, which still works in Mountain Lion.
Steps:
1. Open both movies in QuickTime 7.
2. In the 1st movie, go with the marker to the end of the movie.
3. Go to the 2nd movie and go to the the "Select All" command in the Edit menu (or use the shortcut of your preference)
4. Select the "Copy" command in the Edit menu (or use the shortcut of your preference)
5. Go to the 1st movie and select the "Paste" command in the Edit menu (or use the shortcut of your preference).
6. Select the "Save As" command in the File menu. Navigate wherever you want the new file and hit Save

One caveat: the movie will be saved as .mov

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I need a solution for joining video files too.
But a universal one, not only .avi or .mov.
I don't know if quicktime is doing merging of every video format.

Is there any tool that you used with success?

EmaDaCuz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
If the files have the same bitrate and compression, then you can use "cat" from the terminal.

Code:
cat movie1.xyz movie2.xyz > bigmovie.xyz

Merging files of different format is, as far as I know, impossible without transcoding. Maybe mencoder could work, but I am not so sure.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I need a solution with graphical interface.
I expect it from mac, I am not using linux.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I found a nice program, xilisoft video joiner, it does the task, but it re-encodes video.
So, I need a solution for merge videos, with no re-encoding.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I found a nice program, xilisoft video joiner, it does the task, but it re-encodes video.
So, I need a solution for merge videos, with no re-encoding.
You are on a fool's errand. AVI video tracks are usually not frame-based. The video tracks of the two videos to be joined must be transcoded to a frame-based format before they can be joined. They may then be transcoded back.

It may be possible for the transcode process to be conducted in RAM rather than in a stored file. The bottomline is that files tracks must be transcoded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.