Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:13 PM   #1
vistadude
macrumors 65816

Verizon iphone 5 exclusive apps work on at&t

If I buy the Verizon iphone 5 and use it on at&t, can I run verizon exclusive apps such as NFL mobile and red zone?

Thanks.
vistadude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:17 PM   #2
ericg301
macrumors 6502a

if you buy the verizon iphone 5, it will not work on the AT&T network, period.
ericg301 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:21 PM   #3
as0016
macrumors member

yes it will, it just won't get LTE. The vzw iphone 5 has both gsm and cdma radios and is sim unlocked per VZW's agreement with the FCC to purchase certain frequencies.
as0016 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:30 PM   #4
albertxp06
macrumors regular

Since the Verizon iPhone is unlocked, you will be able to use it on AT&T. You just won't get LTE on AT&T.

As for Verizon apps, I just downloaded the NFL Mobile app on my AT&T iPhone and I can confirm it's working just fine. I don't think the apps would check if you have a Verizon or other carrier signal.
albertxp06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:51 PM   #5
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertxp06 View Post
Since the Verizon iPhone is unlocked, you will be able to use it on AT&T. You just won't get LTE on AT&T.

As for Verizon apps, I just downloaded the NFL Mobile app on my AT&T iPhone and I can confirm it's working just fine. I don't think the apps would check if you have a Verizon or other carrier signal.
I talked to a Verizon rep. The "unlocked" part of the phone is international only. It won't work on AT&T or T-Mobile.
cnguyen0320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:52 PM   #6
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
I talked to a Verizon rep. The "unlocked" part of the phone is international only. It won't work on AT&T or T-Mobile.
And that is false. It has been confirmed that it will.
PDFierro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:01 PM   #7
as0016
macrumors member

Quote:
That is only true of the 4s, not the 5.
as0016 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:03 PM   #8
braddick
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericg301 View Post
if you buy the verizon iphone 5, it will not work on the AT&T network, period.
Yet here I stare at an iPhone5, purchased with Verizon and running an AT&T sim with service.
braddick is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:45 PM   #9
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
And that is false. It has been confirmed that it will.
Really? Does everything work (LTE, MMS, etc.)?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:01 PM   #10
albertxp06
macrumors regular

Quote:
LTE won't. MMS and other stuff will work after changing the APN
albertxp06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:53 PM   #11
MVRL
macrumors regular

Quote:
everything works except for LTE and LTE exclusive features.
MVRL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:54 AM   #12
Charadis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That's funny. My white Verizon iPhone 5 32GB seems to be working on AT&T's network just fine right now. Wifi is off and I'm posting this response on cellular connection. Sent from my iPhone 5
Charadis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:58 AM   #13
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

*still wonders why people would put a verizon iPhone on at&t*
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:24 AM   #14
Charadis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
*still wonders why people would put a verizon iPhone on at&t*
For me, it was about opportunity and choice. I was upgrade eligible with my AT&T plan, and at the same time, my mother had a vacant line on her Verizon fam plan that I snatched up. Picked up Verizon 32GB white 5 on launch day, then decided to pick up AT&T white 16GB 5 about a week later via Apple Store reserve system.

Upon comparing phones, the AT&T phone was in perfect shape, except the Home button felt slightly "squishier," and the Sleep button was slightly more recessed into bezel, and the left edge of the top glass back inlay was not completely flush with the back (was very obvious with a skin on). The front glass also didn't seem as tightly flush with the bezel at the top, and the screen looked a deep purple tint with polarized shades on (mucho importante inconvenience to me!).

My launch Verizon phone, on the other hand, had a minuscule "dent" or "chip" on upper right front corner of chamfer, and the back Apple logo had a horizontal line running across. Here's the desirable part about it: Home button was tight, screen looked normal with polarized shades on!!, and front glass was comparably more flush with bezel at top (as in, you couldn't stick a paper between it). I also liked having a factory unlocked phone out of the box!

Didn't want to return either phone, so I sold the AT&T phone for $850, stuck with AT&T plan because of unlimited plan and 1000 texts (both grandfathered). And I'd do it all over again if I could. Sent from my iPhone 5.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:19 AM   #15
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charadis View Post
For me, it was about opportunity and choice. I was upgrade eligible with my AT&T plan, and at the same time, my mother had a vacant line on her Verizon fam plan that I snatched up. Picked up Verizon 32GB white 5 on launch day, then decided to pick up AT&T white 16GB 5 about a week later via Apple Store reserve system.

Upon comparing phones, the AT&T phone was in perfect shape, except the Home button felt slightly "squishier," and the Sleep button was slightly more recessed into bezel, and the left edge of the top glass back inlay was not completely flush with the back (was very obvious with a skin on). The front glass also didn't seem as tightly flush with the bezel at the top, and the screen looked a deep purple tint with polarized shades on (mucho importante inconvenience to me!).

My launch Verizon phone, on the other hand, had a minuscule "dent" or "chip" on upper right front corner of chamfer, and the back Apple logo had a horizontal line running across. Here's the desirable part about it: Home button was tight, screen looked normal with polarized shades on!!, and front glass was comparably more flush with bezel at top (as in, you couldn't stick a paper between it). I also liked having a factory unlocked phone out of the box!

Didn't want to return either phone, so I sold the AT&T phone for $850, stuck with AT&T plan because of unlimited plan and 1000 texts (both grandfathered). And I'd do it all over again if I could. Sent from my iPhone 5.
Well now you can't get LTE, I would have gotten the AT&T one replaced and stuck with both of them probably.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:55 AM   #16
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Well now you can't get LTE, I would have gotten the AT&T one replaced and stuck with both of them probably.
A lot of us aren't covered by AT&T's LTE yet anyway. I know I'm not so it wouldn't really matter to me. I have a question though.... Is the AT&T iPhone unlocked to international carriers?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:13 AM   #17
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
A lot of us aren't covered by AT&T's LTE yet anyway. I know I'm not so it wouldn't really matter to me. I have a question though.... Is the AT&T iPhone unlocked to international carriers?
No it's not, it comes locked.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:40 PM   #18
Charadis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
EXACTLY. Coming from the iPhone 4, the 5 is already a big jump from 3G with HSPA+ (AT&T's 4G) and faster processor and more RAM. HBO Go and YouTube in HQ run sufficient in my surrounding areas to stream movies/clips comfortably. I toyed between the networks for a time, and Verizon's LTE is incredibly fast; but, realistically, there's nothing I do on this phone that I absolutely need that kind of speed. Except to show off. Sent from my iPhone 5.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone