Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
I'm running OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006)

My trash will not empty using the finder. No matter what files are in the trash when I try to empty it I get the little pop-up that says, "the operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

Using the same account I can open a terminal and sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/* empties the trash without complaint but then it's back to the above message when I use the finder. I empty my trash 4-6 times a day I don't want to open a terminal every time to empty the trash.

Is anyone else having this problem or know a solution?

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: ls -ale...

Hi,

Would you please do a "ls -ale ~/.Trash" so that we can see the ACLs?

Thanks,
Switon

P.S. Sorry, but I'm not going to be around to reply to your response, but you should see some "inherit" ACLs and since your "ls -al" did not end in a "+" I suspect that these are missing. Perhaps when you delete the .Trash folder completely then the Finder/OS does not recreate it with the proper ACLs...

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Hi,

Would you please do a "ls -ale ~/.Trash" so that we can see the ACLs?

Thanks,
Switon

P.S. Sorry, but I'm not going to be around to reply to your response, but you should see some "inherit" ACLs and since your "ls -al" did not end in a "+" I suspect that these are missing. Perhaps when you delete the .Trash folder completely then the Finder/OS does not recreate it with the proper ACLs...

Here it is:

Code:
total 0
drwx------   2 aaronvan  staff   68 Nov 17 16:06 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 25 aaronvan  staff  850 Nov 17 16:04 ..
 0: group:everyone deny delete

Anyway, I deleted .Trash and then reinstalled it. That seems to have fixed things, at least for now. :cool:

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Here it is:

Code:
total 0
drwx------   2 aaronvan  staff   68 Nov 17 16:06 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 25 aaronvan  staff  850 Nov 17 16:04 ..
 0: group:everyone deny delete

Anyway, I deleted .Trash and then reinstalled it. That seems to have fixed things, at least for now. :cool:

When you say you "reinstalled it", what does this mean? Did you restore .Trash from a TM backup?

Is the above "ls -ale ~/.Trash" from before you reinstalled .Trash or after you reinstalled .Trash? I'm just curious since if it is after you reinstalled .Trash then I'm a little surprised that there aren't ACLs for "inherits".

Thanks, and glad you got it working,
Switon

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
When you say you "reinstalled it", what does this mean? Did you restore .Trash from a TM backup?

Is the above "ls -ale ~/.Trash" from before you reinstalled .Trash or after you reinstalled .Trash? I'm just curious since if it is after you reinstalled .Trash then I'm a little surprised that there aren't ACLs for "inherits".

Thanks, and glad you got it working,
Switon

I think it's from before but honestly I'm not sure. I tried so many different things I'm not positive what actually did the trick. :rolleyes:

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: thanks...

It makes more sense if it was the "before", since I believe the ~/.Trash actually uses inherited ACLs so that it can be emptied.

Glad you solved your problem.

Thanks,
Switon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.