Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hulinator8102

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
I just bought a used Macbrook Pro A1226 on ebay, does anyone know if I can run Final Cut Pro X on this machine? and if I can't are there any tweaks to it I can make so it will run smoothly

I"m also doing video game capture stuff and uploading it to Youtube, I am going to be using a lot of CPU for both of these projects so I need to know if the Macbook Pro A1226 is up to the challenge

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I just bought a used Macbrook Pro A1226 on ebay, does anyone know if I can run Final Cut Pro X on this machine? and if I can't are there any tweaks to it I can make so it will run smoothly

I"m also doing video game capture stuff and uploading it to Youtube, I am going to be using a lot of CPU for both of these projects so I need to know if the Macbook Pro A1226 is up to the challenge

Won't run on that machine.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

Actually, there's no possible way you could know that from the "A1226" designation that the OP gave. That doesn't represent a specific model, but rather a range of models, some of which would run Final Cut Pro X fine and some of which would not. None would be fast, but they would certainly suffice.

jW

Hulinator8102

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Ok folks here's the specs tell me what she can do, what she'll have trouble with and what she can't do, and anything I can do to beef her up

MacBook Pro A1226 (these are the specs of THE machine I'm getting)

CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz
RAM: 4GB
Screen Size: 15.4
Hard Drive: 250GB
Video Card: GeForce 8600M GT
Optical: Slim DVR+RW
OS: 10.5, I really hope I can work my way up to Mountain Lion on this machine

markus843

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2012
Ok folks here's the specs tell me what she can do, what she'll have trouble with and what she can't do, and anything I can do to beef her up

MacBook Pro A1226 (these are the specs of THE machine I'm getting)

CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz
RAM: 4GB
Screen Size: 15.4
Hard Drive: 250GB
Video Card: GeForce 8600M GT
Optical: Slim DVR+RW
OS: 10.5, I really hope I can work my way up to Mountain Lion on this machine

Should run Final Cut pro...

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles

Yes I have MBP like yours and I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.1 and Final Cut Pro X just fine. But it has 4GB memory and Intel SSD. :apple:

Hulinator8102

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
So it would be a good idea for me to invest in a SSD and a external hard drive? The jury seems to be out on this one 50% of the people I've talked to on here said getting a SSD for my old 2007 Macbook would be pointless and I've heard people say external hard drives are the way to go especially if you want to do video editing

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Actually, there's no possible way you could know that from the "A1226" designation that the OP gave. That doesn't represent a specific model, but rather a range of models, some of which would run Final Cut Pro X fine and some of which would not. None would be fast, but they would certainly suffice.

jW

Actually I can get close, because the video card isn't supported by the current gen of FCPX on most all the non CTO 1226's

"GeForce 8600M GT 128MB (Note: OpenCL compatible, but does not meet system requirements for Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4.)"

And based on the fact the OP has stated it's a 2.2 it makes it a MacbookPro 3.1 (T7500) Model A1226 (EMC 2136) which means I'm definitely correct.

Last edited:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
So it would be a good idea for me to invest in a SSD and a external hard drive? The jury seems to be out on this one 50% of the people I've talked to on here said getting a SSD for my old 2007 Macbook would be pointless and I've heard people say external hard drives are the way to go especially if you want to do video editing

Also I use Seagate GoFlex ultra portable external HD with USB 3.0/Firewire 800 I often work Final Cut Pro X with this external HD all the times. :apple:

Hulinator8102

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Ccrew's comment bothers me immensely this is one of the main uses I plan on using my old Mac for is editing in HD with FCPX, can anyone absolutely 100% validate whether what he says is true, I'm getting my RAM upgraded to 6GB and I'm getting a Seagate Hybrid Momentus XT drive so I am really investing in a lot of money in something that could or could not work, I need someone to reassure me that it will

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Ccrew's comment bothers me immensely this is one of the main uses I plan on using my old Mac for is editing in HD with FCPX, can anyone absolutely 100% validate whether what he says is true, I'm getting my RAM upgraded to 6GB and I'm getting a Seagate Hybrid Momentus XT drive so I am really investing in a lot of money in something that could or could not work, I need someone to reassure me that it will

Seriously? It's not a comment. It's from Apple's own page. I hate being the bearer of bad news, but I know my way around hardware. Sorry! Here's reference info so you can verify the info and I'm not some random kook raining on your parade:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4664

And the machine you bought has the GeForce 8600M GT 128MB card in it.

Download MacTracker off the Appstore, look at The MacBook Pro 15 Inch Late 2007 2.4/2.2 1226 card specs.

GRAPHICS

Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Graphics Memory 128 (2.2 GHz) or 256 (2.4, 2.6 GHz) MB GDDR3
Display Connection 1 - Dual-link DVI (VGA, Composite and S-video with adapter)
Display Modes Dual display extended and video mirroring
External Resolution Up to 2560 by 1600 pixels
Camera Built-in iSight

I've got a dual quad Proc Mac Pro sitting here that won't run FCPX due to video, I know a laptop of the same age sure isn't.

And I probably shouldn't even mention that that machine is of the vintage where the onboard NVidia chip fries due to them being defective. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Last edited:

offtheroad

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Can I run it on
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 12 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.39f5
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Can I run it on
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 12 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.39f5
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5

Yes. That machine has either a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 or ATI Radeon HD 4870 in it. It's also upgradeable and will support some newer cards.

Hulinator8102

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
I owe you a huge apology Ccrew, you gave me information directly from Apple which I guess I thought was your own information, but I downloaded the trial of FCPX last night and besides the fact that it kept heating up which I guess is a common problem with old Macs it seemed to be running just fine. Mind you I was working with a one minute clip just to test it not some 30 minute piece of footage but nevertheless for whatever reason it worked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.