Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TarHeelBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I have the latest software of everything Mac and always do my updates. My MacBook Pro is the silver keyboard edition (I cant keep it on long enough to tell which one exactly).

Here's the story. I'm in Spain, my Mbp has never ever messed up at all, I love the thing. I just updated an adobe flash update that popped up, I did the restart like it said and since then, I can't keep it on for more than a few minutes.

I did the resets, the SMC and other pr reset. Nothing. I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using my ipad to type this.

Thanks

TarHeelBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I replaced the battery last year and it is at least in the 90% health range.

It's about 5 years old. It just randomly cuts off. I tried to do an apple hardware test on it (restart it and hold the d button) but it doesn't work at all, just goes into my log in screen. Then after I log in, it's just a matter of time before it completely shuts off.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I tried to do an apple hardware test on it (restart it and hold the d button) but it doesn't work at all, just goes into my log in screen. Then after I log in, it's just a matter of time before it completely shuts off.

On a five year old Mac you run the AHT by putting the install DVD and rebooting holding the D key (I think....it says on the DVD which Key to hold down)

The on line AHT only applies to recent macs.

Apologies if this is what you were doing.

Will it stay booted in safe boot mode? (restart holding shift key)

Will it restart from the Install disc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.