Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
It looks like the industry finally caught up with demand.

1920x1080p screens at 5"

These phones have them:
HTC Droid DNA
Sony Xperia Yuga/Odin

If Apple doesn't wake up, and release a 5" screen supporting 1920x1080p, I am afraid they will finally lose all the customers. If someone like myself is willing to jump ship for this screen and put up with the slow java on android, it says something about the direction Apple not knowing what customers want.

duffc

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011

1920x1080p screens at 5"

These phones have them:
HTC Droid DNA
Sony Xperia Yuga/Odin

If Apple doesn't wake up, and release a 5" screen supporting 1920x1080p, I am afraid they will finally lose all the customers. If someone like myself is willing to jump ship for this screen and put up with the slow java on android, it says something about the direction Apple not knowing what customers want.

99% of phone users don't care about 5". Have you read DNA reviews? Lots of reviews saying the thing barely fits in a pocket.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon

1920x1080p screens at 5"

These phones have them:
HTC Droid DNA
Sony Xperia Yuga/Odin

I laughed.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008

1920x1080p screens at 5"

These phones have them:
HTC Droid DNA
Sony Xperia Yuga/Odin

Lose all customers? Most iphone users don't know what resolution is or what is available on the market or even care. They buy it because its made by apple and its popular.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu

Who makes up this "demand" you speak of? The vocal minority who want 3" tablets and 12" smartphones?

I don't think Apple, or any of the manufacturers for that matter are losing any sleep over the loss of income from that small niche group of consumers.

S

syd430

Battery life was dismal on the Droid. Read the Verge review.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Who makes up this "demand" you speak of? The vocal minority who want 3" tablets and 12" smartphones?

I don't think Apple, or any of the manufacturers for that matter are losing any sleep over the loss of income from that small niche group of consumers.

The Samsung Note II (5.5 inch display) is even bigger than 5". And that phone is currently selling 3 MILLION a month. Samsung now commands close to 65% of all smartphones, with Apple and the rest dividing up the pie. All I am asking is a 5" with 1080p screen. I don't know what is up with Apple. Are they blind to the demand? Who made up that stupid rule about thumb length being max width of screen?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
meanwhile in Cupertino tim cook is taking a bath in a Jacuzzi made out of solid gold and a washcloth made with money in an estate that cost $20 million to build.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
The Samsung Note II (5.5 inch display) is even bigger than 5". And that phone is currently selling 3 MILLION a month. Samsung now commands close to 65% of all smartphones, with Apple and the rest dividing up the pie. All I am asking is a 5" with 1080p screen. I don't know what is up with Apple. Are they blind to the demand? Who made up that stupid rule about thumb length being max width of screen?

Then enjoy your Android phone and go play on an Android forum.

I'd rather have my iPhone's any day than use an Android again.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon

What demand? The masses have spoken, they want the iPhone. 3 million a month... Apple sold 3 million iPhone 5's in like the first few hours of pre-orders. And I heard android handset makers often like to include every phone sitting in the store as "sold". Because I have barely seen any SGS3's or Galaxy Note 2s in the wild, and I travel a hell of a lot! Not like I represent everyone.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Then enjoy your Android phone and go play on an Android forum.

I'd rather have my iPhone's any day than use an Android again.

You don't get it do you? I am an Apple fan. I bought 2 iPhones, and was about to buy the iPhone 5, until these 1080p screens came out. If someone like me (who hates android because of the slow java, but may be warm to them releasing android+ with pure C/C++ code), has second thoughts, it says something is seriously wrong with the direction of Apple knowing what customers want.

Its like this: The iPhone came out and changed the industry, with each phone now having touch screen. The 1080p with glorious gaming came out and now all phones have 1080p display for camera/games/etc. While Apple is now the one who is behind, stuck in thumb length width screen.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
This thread is so silly as if 1080p matters on a 5 inch screen. Optimal viewing distance is 6 inches or less to appreciate 1080p on a screen that small. People are such suckers to specs.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

1920x1080p screens at 5"

These phones have them:
HTC Droid DNA
Sony Xperia Yuga/Odin

Are you smoking?

Anything above 720P for the 4" screen isn't even discernible to the human eye. Clearly you just are a spec whore and need to brag that your smartphone is 1080P.

I don't want anything bigger than the 4" screen.

Jump ship all YOU want though.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
You don't get it do you? I am an Apple fan. I bought 2 iPhones, and was about to buy the iPhone 5, until these 1080p screens came out. If someone like me (who hates android because of the slow java, but may be warm to them releasing android+ with pure C/C++ code), has second thoughts, it says something is seriously wrong with the direction of Apple knowing what customers want.

Its like this: The iPhone came out and changed the industry, with each phone now having touch screen. The 1080p with glorious gaming came out and now all phones have 1080p display for camera/games/etc. While Apple is now the one who is behind, stuck in thumb length width screen.

I get it, you want the best specs....operative fact is that most of us don't care. Go play and have fun.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
This thread is so silly as if 1080p matters on a 5 inch screen. Optimal viewing distance is 6 inches or less to appreciate 1080p on a screen that small. People are such suckers to specs.

At 6 inches... you can see dots at 1000dpi.

At 12 inches... you can see dots at 500dpi.

The Retina display is clearly not at full potential (326 dpi). The 443dpi of 1080p screen at 6 inches is fine. While the Retina would be lacking at such close distance, with dots too big.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

The Retina display is clearly not at full potential (326 dpi). The 443dpi of 1080p screen at 6 inches is fine. While the Retina would be lacking at such close distance, with dots too big.
My point exactly. 1080p means nothing beyond 6 inches.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012

Just so I understand your priorities: Would you prefer a 4" or 5" 1080p screen?

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
I agree with others here, most people do not want a 5" smartphone. There does come a point when the size becomes uncomfortable. I've used a 4.3" phone and now that Im using the iPhone I think a 4" is perfect for one hand use.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Anything higher then 4.3" is a no-go for me. That being said, the iPhone 5 screen is still good since I can text and use it with one hand, so I'd prefer something similar.

drkryn

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
99% of phone users don't care about 5". Have you read DNA reviews? Lots of reviews saying the thing barely fits in a pocket.

So you took a poll of all the cell phone users in the world and determined 99% of them don't care about a 5" screen?

Where are these reviews saying it barely fits in your pocket?

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
My point exactly. 1080p means nothing beyond 6 inches.

Eh... actually 1080p means something below 1 1/2 feet (length of your arm holding phone)

If you hold up a 5" 1080p phone at 440dpi in front of you, it looks better than the iPhone 5 retina display at ALL distances that you can put at arms length.

Why? Because you can see the individual dots. Only after it is beyond arms length that you can't tell the iPhone 5 and the 1080p screen at 5".

So the higher the DPI the better. 326dp (iPhone's DPI) you can't see the dots when it is just beyond arm's reach (close to 2 feet). But nobody holds their phone so far away. They hold it 6 inches to 12 inches in front of them. In that case, the bigger screen the more DPI the better.

So the best phone is one that is higher dpi (up to a 1000dpi for 6 inches away, up to 500dpi for 12 inches away). The 5" 1080p screen is at 440dpi, so it would look clearer and better at all distances you can put it at using your arms (compared to 326 dpi Retina of iPhone).

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
You couldn't pay me to walk around with one of those idiotic huge phones. The 4" screen is the max for me. I still cant believe people are dumb enough to buy huge phones. Why not just pick up a giant block phone from 1980?

I laugh at people who actually think the Note is cool. What a joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.