Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:47 PM   #1
spork183
macrumors 6502a
 
spork183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Curse You Trader Joe's...

http://shadandlizzie.blogspot.com/20...rmint-joe.html

Last year, I got one freakin' box before they ran out. This year I just spent $34 to stock up and they're almost gone and it ain't even Thanksgiving. Curse you Trader Joe's and your vile

Dark Chocolate covered Peppermint Joe-Joe's

Forget tax reform, the fiscal cliff, Paula Broadwell (All In? Really?) and the Twinkie demise. Turn the machines back on and start cranking out some more of these Joe-Joe's...
__________________
"I'll buy almost anything if it's shiny and made by Apple..."
-Macbook Wheel Ad
spork183 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:27 PM   #2
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
The chocolate Advent calendars usually disappear quickly also.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:03 PM   #3
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
My wife aches (yes, aches) over the fact that our region does not have a Trader Joes. The nearest is at least a 4 hour drive south.

I, on the other hand, have never felt the attraction. Every time I walk into one—and we will this Thanksgiving holiday—I leave wondering what all the fuss is about.

Give me a Whole Foods any day.

OMG. Did you see that cheese counter?!

citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Here's a good place for organic chocolates :

http://www.lilliebellefarms.com
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
spork183
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
spork183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
My wife aches (yes, aches) over the fact that our region does not have a Trader Joes. The nearest is at least a 4 hour drive south.

I, on the other hand, have never felt the attraction. Every time I walk into one—and we will this Thanksgiving holiday—I leave wondering what all the fuss is about.

Give me a Whole Foods any day.

OMG. Did you see that cheese counter?!

The Cheese Counter in Whole Foods is a vision to behold. We have a Whole Foods right next to a Trader Joe's, with a Pete's Coffee sandwiched in between. I can lose whole mornings just getting a cup of coffee...
__________________
"I'll buy almost anything if it's shiny and made by Apple..."
-Macbook Wheel Ad
spork183 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I was wondering what I just ate. Wife left a ziplock bag full of those things and I just downed two of them. Pretty good.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:12 PM   #7
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork183 View Post
The Cheese Counter in Whole Foods is a vision to behold. We have a Whole Foods right next to a Trader Joe's, with a Pete's Coffee sandwiched in between. I can lose whole mornings just getting a cup of coffee...
Whole Foods is about 5 hours to the south.

Or 7 hours to the north.



Correction: ~4 hours south (accuracy counts). They must have added a new store.

Last edited by citizenzen; Nov 17, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Whole Foods is about 5 hours to the south.

Or 7 hours to the north.

I have two Trader Joes and 2 Whole Foods within 5 miles. And stump town roasters just about everywhere here in Portland.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:22 PM   #9
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I have two Trader Joes and 2 Whole Foods within 5 miles. And stump town roasters just about everywhere here in Portland.
The last two times I was in Whole Foods was in Portland—or just south of Portland.

I was doing a press check at Journal Graphics (2840 Northwest 35th Avenue) and needed an easy dinner.

I've found parking in Portland can be a little dicey.

Parking tickets make dining in restaurants extra expensive.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:04 PM   #10
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Whole Foods is about 5 hours to the south.

Or 7 hours to the north.



Correction: ~4 hours south (accuracy counts). They must have added a new store.
I think I have two whole foods locations within 3 miles (somehow). They have excellent chicken, which is the primary reason I go there. It's only slightly more expensive than the other grocery stores, yet it's way better. They also have good locally grown produce, although I prefer the farmer's market when I can get over there early enough. Trader Joes is cool, but they're too much about pre-packaged items.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:26 PM   #11
spork183
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
spork183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
Trader Joes is cool, but they're too much about pre-packaged items.
But when pressed for time, that prepackaging helps. And did I mention the Dark Chocolate Peppermint Joe-Joe's?
__________________
"I'll buy almost anything if it's shiny and made by Apple..."
-Macbook Wheel Ad
spork183 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:38 PM   #12
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork183 View Post
But when pressed for time, that prepackaging helps. And did I mention the Dark Chocolate Peppermint Joe-Joe's?
Bleck I find that kind of stuff way too addictive, especially things which combine chocolate and mint. I don't buy those kinds of things as I would consume them too quickly. I used to live off Trader Joes stuff. Working long hours at the time didn't make me want to cook.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:06 AM   #13
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
The last two times I was in Whole Foods was in Portland—or just south of Portland.

I was doing a press check at Journal Graphics (2840 Northwest 35th Avenue) and needed an easy dinner.

I've found parking in Portland can be a little dicey.

Parking tickets make dining in restaurants extra expensive.
I didn't say Portland was a cheap place to live.

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:49 AM   #14
spork183
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
spork183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I didn't say Portland was a cheap place to live.

So if you must factor in the parking tickets to the price of a meal out, how does a food critic take that into account when eating?

Those wanting a truly memorable dining experience can choose from powerful eclectic dishes ranging from fillet of antelope to spicy grilled duck legs to chili-rubbed buffalo rib eye. But the 4-star rating has dropped to three based on the dang parking ticket...
__________________
"I'll buy almost anything if it's shiny and made by Apple..."
-Macbook Wheel Ad
spork183 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork183 View Post
So if you must factor in the parking tickets to the price of a meal out, how does a food critic take that into account when eating?

Those wanting a truly memorable dining experience can choose from powerful eclectic dishes ranging from fillet of antelope to spicy grilled duck legs to chili-rubbed buffalo rib eye. But the 4-star rating has dropped to three based on the dang parking ticket...
Sorry you got a parking ticket.

That's nobody's fault but your own.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:28 PM   #16
spork183
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
spork183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Sorry you got a parking ticket.

That's nobody's fault but your own.
Actually, CitizenZen got the ticket, not me... I'm just saying...
__________________
"I'll buy almost anything if it's shiny and made by Apple..."
-Macbook Wheel Ad
spork183 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:38 PM   #17
killerrobot
macrumors 68020
 
killerrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
My trader Joe's (there's another 2 within driving distance) usually has those stocked until well past the holidays. PM if you need them that badly - I'll grab what I can.
__________________
Another day older and deeper in debt.
killerrobot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:56 AM   #18
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Erie, PA
Wow, these things must be the food to die for, if they are that good!

We don't have a store here so I will never find out! LOL

Hugh
__________________
Hal 9000: You like your Macintosh better then me, Dave?
Hugh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:36 PM   #19
dopey220
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
So, like... Why's this in PRSI?
__________________
I have a couple of computers and a few MP3 players. No phones or tablets, though. I mean, I have a smartphone and a tablet, but they aren't Fapple. Also, the tablet is broken because I dropped it.
dopey220 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:10 PM   #20
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey220 View Post
So, like... Why's this in PRSI?
Social issue.

citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:47 PM   #21
Sydde
macrumors 68000
 
Sydde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I have two Trader Joes and 2 Whole Foods within 5 miles. And stump town roasters just about everywhere here in Portland.
Portland has Trader Joes and Whole Foods? Hmm, I will have to look next time I get down there. I only ever noticed New Seasons, not sure the point of going to some lower quality national chain.
__________________
You got to be a spirit. You can't be no ghost.
Sydde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:48 PM   #22
chown33
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Social issue.

And here I thought it was Politics: Trader Joe's vs. Whole Foods.

Or does that fall under Religion?
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:52 PM   #23
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Or does that fall under Religion?
Considering how some people feel about these chocolates ...
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:14 PM   #24
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Portland has Trader Joes and Whole Foods? Hmm, I will have to look next time I get down there. I only ever noticed New Seasons, not sure the point of going to some lower quality national chain.
Five Whole foods

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...&ved=0CJkBEMgT
-------------------

Trader Joes has 7 stores
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:27 AM   #25
dopey220
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Oh, dig. I get it now.

In that case, I'm all about Trader Joe's. People who shop at Whole Foods are a bunch of un-American subhumans who should be deported.
__________________
I have a couple of computers and a few MP3 players. No phones or tablets, though. I mean, I have a smartphone and a tablet, but they aren't Fapple. Also, the tablet is broken because I dropped it.
dopey220 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Curse of Chucky .beam. Community Discussion 23 Jun 19, 2013 06:30 AM
Ugh Apple's Design = Blessing and Curse! supervelous iPhone 1 Sep 22, 2012 12:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC