Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:27 AM   #26
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sermon View Post
Fail? No way. It seems that Apple have put a lot of thought into this and I'm glad they didn't go down the road everyone else took and didn't make their screens taller and wider just because they can.

Honestly - going taller, but not wider was in my opinion the only way to go. That way you get a bigger screen, but the phone can still be used comfortably with one hand.

Besides, those ridiculously big screens (4.6", 4.8" - hello?) give these devices a kind of a cheap 'pimp-my-ride' character. Like monster trucks or those tuned low rider redneck cars with huge rear spoilers and added bling.

So, no, I don't think the taller screen is a fail. Apple has once again come up with an elegant, thought out solution and thankfully didn't jump on the 'mine-is-bigger'-train everyone else seems to be riding these days.
I disagree. It's all about the overall dimensions of the phone. Look at the Razr M which is similar in size to the iPhone 5 give or take in length, width and height. However it's screen is 4,3" which is taller and wider.

Apples "elegant thought out solution" was to just put a bigger screen on a bigger phone like everyone else and they went taller as a bandaid to the "one hand" issue. Which btw is an issue with a 4" screen since all apps have a "cancel" or "back" button in the upper left of then screen that I can barely reach on a 3.5" screen.

An actually well thought out solution would be a near bezel-less phone with an OS designed for one handed use.

Btw I do not think the 4" screen is a fail. I just don't have much use for it over my 3.5" screen.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:42 AM   #27
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

When I use my wife's 4s, it just looks wrong now
The extra screen size is great
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:05 AM   #28
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
That's what she said.....
I just got mine today and so far I am happy with it
Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but I saw this coming ha
Dwalls90 is offline   1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:29 AM   #29
bushido
macrumors 601

i agree that apple should have tweaked iOS a little more to take full advantage of the bigger screen, like a 2 row multitasking tray or whatever its called. but iOS6 is more like 5.1 anyway so maybe iOS7 will bring more changes
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:52 AM   #30
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

I like the analogy where a guy needs more office space and the maintenance guys come in and just raise the ceiling.

Apple's 4" screen is just a way to get in the 4" club and to stop being ridiculed for having the smallest screen in the market. And they did it in a way that breaks the fewest things.

Sure it has some benefits for some, but does nothing for others. Myself, an extra row of icons is a joke and watching movies on a 2" wide screen is worse than worthless, but it works for others, cool.

My problem with the 5 is the build quality, choice of materials and the bone headed decision to go so thin that the thing bends in your pocket from sitting down.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:12 AM   #31
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68000

Watching videos is MUCH more enjoyable now. As well as most other things. I think the screen could have been a little taller too.
TacticalDesire is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:30 AM   #32
Neverbepeace
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
Wider is pointless it just makes everything on the screen bigger without adding extra content. I love the 4in of my iPhone 5 and when I put it up next to my old iPod the iPod screen looks very wide and ridiculous. It's like the short fat child that everyone makes fun of
So you assume apple is just going to keep making it longer as the years go by?

http://flightofwords.com/wp-content/...-5-10-long.jpg

Once apple comes out with a wider iPhone , you'll be singing a different tune.
Neverbepeace is offline   1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:31 AM   #33
eRondeau
macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 5 is the perfect iPhone.
eRondeau is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:34 AM   #34
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHeartsteve View Post
I was not impressed by the elongated screen size at all. They should have spent their time increasing battery length. This battery life sucks.

I like the improved processor but that's about it.
I get ~9.5hrs usage across 3 work days. Freaking fantastic!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:11 AM   #35
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

It's not a fail from every angle. It's sold well, reviewed well and if you've used it you know it's a better product than previous models. The taller form factor in itself is a fail. That's the best you can do? What are you going to do next year? Make it wider while keeping the same size and not tell developers until the week before? But it's okay, black bars around the existing apps will make its barely noticeable until developers catch up. Taller is a fail, they should have gone taller and wider and debuted the iPhone mini next year which is the same screen as the 4 but much thinner. Boggles me how they ace the iPads and fail on the phones.
BenTrovato is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:32 AM   #36
johannar
Banned

No, the screen of iPhone 5 just looks great.
johannar is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:04 AM   #37
scaredpoet
macrumors 601

If you don't like the iPhone 5, don't buy one.

If you have one and you don't like it, bring it back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIcaejkpD4&sns=em
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:04 AM   #38
karthik.k
macrumors newbie

Smile

Apple's primary aim while designing the first iPhone was to make the users' thumb touch the corners of the screens in one hand. So increasing the width would have been a bad idea. But a taller screen was a mature decision from Apple.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:07 AM   #39
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

I like the taller screen. It looks and feels good without being huge. I originally told myself I wouldn't upgrade my iphone 4 until the new iphone had a slightly bigger screen.
Nolander07 is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:08 AM   #40
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502

Before, there was a laughably small amount of space left for the app whenever you used the keyboard. Now, it's much more reasonable. This is a huge win IMO.
tomjleeds is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:10 AM   #41
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverbepeace View Post
So you assume apple is just going to keep making it longer as the years go by?

Once apple comes out with a wider iPhone , you'll be singing a different tune.
I think we won't see a screen size change until at least 2014. It's a PITA to developers, and I think demand has proven that huge ass screens aren't quite as compelling as competitors might make them out to be.

That said, when they do change resolutions and screen dimensions, I think iOS 7 or 8 will bring app scaling and then same screen ratios for all iOS devices going forward. This would make developers lives a LOT easier.

In other words, maybe like:

iPhone/iTouch @ 1280x720 with 4.5" (Still at 326 PPI)
iPad @ 2560x1440 with 9.7" (Upgrade to 300 PPI)
iPad Mini @ 1920x1080 with 7.9" (Upgrade to 279 PPI)

This brings everything into the same ratio, while giving/maintaining almost 300 PPI to all products.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:51 AM   #42
Radio
macrumors 65816

Why didnt they give us iPhone 5 users a banner of notifications ? That's more functionality

Seeing more of your calendar is hardly more functionality

Apple should be doing something more with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonehype View Post
5 millions phones sold within the weekend wasn't it? I wouldn't call it failure.

Its everything reengineered !

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
If you don't like the iPhone 5, don't buy one.

If you have one and you don't like it, bring it back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIcaejkpD4&sns=em
Seriously that's your argument?

Anyways ...

I'm hoping we do get something more with iOS 7

Rather than a row of icons show me what emails or SMS messages I have waiting.

What do u guys think about that ?
Radio is offline   1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:18 AM   #43
John T
macrumors 68020

It takes all sorts to make the world.

Whenever something changes, there will always be those who just have to complain and wish things were as they used to be!

As far as my own opinions of the iPhone 5 are concerned, I'm not too keen on cluttering op the screen with an extra row of ikons so, I just have the four original rows. Safari certainly benefits with the extra space. All in all, one soon forgets about the dimensions.

It's all down to personal taste.
John T is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:49 AM   #44
kannesss
Banned

I love my 5. I don't understand how someone can be mad that they made the screen taller, after requesting it on forums like this for years.
#1, taller screen and #2 LTE, people have been wanting these features for years. They come out with it, and no one likes it because their hands cramp up. Well, mine never have, and I love the way the screen works for me. It fits my hands fine. It's like I got the one good iPhone 5 and everyone else just hates it.
kannesss is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:08 PM   #45
Merkie
macrumors 65816

The taller screen is a huge benefit.
Quote:
Most Apps just stretch the screen adding very little to no benefit.
What is the other option? Making the screne wider and taller? That would absolutely add zero benefit, because the phone would show exactly the same content, only bigger.

People should understand that the screen being a bit taller causes the phone to be able to show twice as much content in some cases. For instance, when you're in a messaging app on the iPhone 4/4S, about 75% of the screen estate is occupied by the keyboard, the top bar (showing the time, battery and reception) and the navigation bars inside of apps. The actual content is shown on only a small part of the screen. Every pixel added due to the larger screen goes directly to the visible content.
Merkie is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:08 PM   #46
Radio
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2010 View Post
My thing is this, since my perspective has changed somewhat. Why does every phone on the market have to be wide when incorporating a 4inch screen?

I think it's good for competition to throw a lil diversity in the mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannesss View Post
I love my 5. I don't understand how someone can be mad that they made the screen taller, after requesting it on forums like this for years.
#1, taller screen and #2 LTE, people have been wanting these features for years. They come out with it, and no one likes it because their hands cramp up. Well, mine never have, and I love the way the screen works for me. It fits my hands fine. It's like I got the one good iPhone 5 and everyone else just hates it.
Um what real practical benefit r you getting?

That's all I'm saying I'm not sure why this is difficult to comprehend ?

More browsing space? Serious that's your rebuttal ?

Apple was lazy.

Notifications are still broken and intrusive

They should of used the space for notifications
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:33 PM   #47
urkel
macrumors 68010

The taller screen isn't a fail, but this regurgitated idea that "any bigger would be unusable with one hand" thing is. And after using the iPad Mini for a few weeks then theres no doubt that a larger iPhone would work just fine. Obviously a 7" iPhone is silly but 4.3-4.7 would give a much more pleasant experience.
urkel is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:33 PM   #48
Batman89
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I've gained nothing in my experience on the iPhone 5.
http://jokideo.com/wp-content/upload...08501230_n.jpg
Batman89 is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:34 PM   #49
Radio
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman89 View Post
Thanks .. Walking there right now
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:41 PM   #50
Applefan17
macrumors member

It certainly isn't a "fail." I personally think that it might be a while before Apple actually decides to do another size change-up considering how long it took for this one. I'm personally not bothered as I am a fan of the new size and would have been fine if it had not changed. I also don't think Apple cares much either, the phone will sell either way

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland