Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Hope experts here can help....

I'm buying a FullHD TV - my first one, since I seldom watch TV. In the process of doing my due diligence, I find the new Smart TVs are kind of a mess in terms of features across brands, and in the end, none of them keeps up with basic expectations in terms of media streaming from my computers (movie library on mac, VLC), audio streaming, and internet browsing (google searches, email, youtube, etc).

I've also learned that it seems the Apple TV brings a much better "smart" to the game than the "Smart" features included in any TV, plus, with some 3rd party apps and hacking, I can use an Apple TV to stream/play any content on the TV, either directly from the internet, or stream it from my audio/video library.

So, the question is, will it be better for me to buy the TV regardless of any Smart features it has (or even without them and save a few bucks) and buy an Apple TV to do all the "smart" video / audio streaming and internet browsing on it?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Yes, smart TV too expensive with the mess they give you.

ATV3 still not hackable. If you want to buy an old ATV2, it's going for >$usd200 and it only does 720. ATV3 as it has no browser but it does have mirroring so u can browse on your laptop and shot its screen to the big TV.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Absolutely. Smart TV's may call themselves smart because of what they can technically do. Just because they can do it doesn't mean they can do it well. Look at some of their implementations of Netflix as an example.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
It's been a few years already. Before they call it smart TV, there were TVs with Google(?)/Yahoo(?) widgets. TV are unix computer now right, so why haven't them work the developer community to make some cool apps?

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I personally love my Samsung D7000 "smart" TV although I never ever use the actual smart features. The only reason I bought the smart TV was for 3D and the 240hz features. If you dont care about that, just buy a regular HD TV and enjoy the ATV, as it is far better for any streaming of audio/video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.