Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajsean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
how do i get videos from my desktop onto my camera roll ? not videos app, but camera roll app

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
You can't get photos onto the camera roll that is only for photos taken on the advice. However you can sync photos via iTunes to the photos.app, just not to the camera roll album.

Click "photos" when syncing in iTunes and it should be pretty straightforward. It's even easier if you have a Mac with iPhoto.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
But you will not be able to delete the synced photos/videos from your phone......unless you tether it to iTunes again.

ajsean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
But you will not be able to delete the synced photos/videos from your phone......unless you tether it to iTunes again.

i had some sucsess by emailing them to myself, then saving them to camera roll. any ideas for larger files??

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
I put them in an Photo Stream upload folder on my Windows PC. It was synced to my iPhone and I individually selected the ones I wanted and saved them to my device.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Dropbox would be your best try. But it is still pretty convoluted just to copy photos/videos over.
You just view the picture in Dropbox and then download. The benefit of Dropbox is that any photos placed into your camera roll get uploaded to a folder on Dropbox. Enough uploads and Dropbox will increase your storage to a total of an additional 3GB over time.

Note that any picture you download to your camera roll from Dropbox is seen as new and will be thus copied to the Camera Uploads folder in your Dropbox folder.

If you have a Mac another option would be PhoneView. You get direct access to the local file system and can place photos directly into the Camera roll. You have to delete the database file and restart your phone though so that your iPhone rebuilds the DB and sees your new photos. The advantage here though is you can add as many photos at a time as you wish.

There's also Eltima Syncmate. But I have not used it for the iPhone, only my old Windows Mobile phone so IDK if it supports photos or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.