Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
All your guesses may be better than mine right now, but I'm planning to buy a new Mac portable. Sure next years will be better spec'd with the Haswell chip but thoughts?

Thanks

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Probably these spec options:

i7 4615/4720/4820 from 2.4-3.4/2.7-3.7/2.8-3.8Ghz
GT 750m (A renamed GTX 660m) or maybe Apple might switch back to AMD for cheaper prices
8-16GB Ram
Improved retina display quality (hopefully at least)

And typically everything else the current rMBP has...

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
In practical terms I would say not a great deal of difference in performance but some better battery life.
The 750M is most likely and probably only slightly faster. 30% max.
The Haswell will not be significantly faster either. A little more IPC, slightly higher clocks otherwise Intel most focuses on power consumption at idle.

I wonder if IGZO displays will be ready by then. That should greatly improve battery life.

The 13" should be more interesting. If one looks at the temps reported in reviews, a 35W Quad Core should have been an option. Anand says it is too expensive but that is a 2000$ notebook :confused:.
I think the only reason they didn't put a Quad in is because they wanted to hold something back that sounds like a great improvement the next refresh. When they can claim Quad Core + double GPU performance. Otherwise the cooling system looks like it is more than up to the task of handling a 3612QM and the battery life would survive it too.
The 13" this time around is a poor buy IMO. If one doesn't need speed than a slimmer lighter ultrabook with an ULV CPU would be better anyway.

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
In practical terms I would say not a great deal of difference in performance but some better battery life.
The 750M is most likely and probably only slightly faster. 30% max.
The Haswell will not be significantly faster either. A little more IPC, slightly higher clocks otherwise Intel most focuses on power consumption at idle.

I wonder if IGZO displays will be ready by then. That should greatly improve battery life.

The 13" should be more interesting. If one looks at the temps reported in reviews, a 35W Quad Core should have been an option. Anand says it is too expensive but that is a 2000$ notebook :confused:.
I think the only reason they didn't put a Quad in is because they wanted to hold something back that sounds like a great improvement the next refresh. When they can claim Quad Core + double GPU performance. Otherwise the cooling system looks like it is more than up to the task of handling a 3612QM and the battery life would survive it too.
The 13" this time around is a poor buy IMO. If one doesn't need speed than a slimmer lighter ultrabook with an ULV CPU would be better anyway.

Haswell will be a significant upgrade over IB - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
better optimize for the retina screen i hope. like making it smoother and more fluid like the rest of the older macs. because right now it definitely feels like an iphone 3gs with a retina screen.

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
did you read it?
There is nothing in there that should change anything significant in terms of cpu speed. It is mostly about energy efficiency especially with idle power and otherwise somewhat wider execution unit which doesn't all that much for speed.

avx2.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Depends on if they kill the cMBP.

If they do, I'd expect the pricing to rationalize. If not, probably just speed bumps, with perhaps capacity bumps, at the same price points.

The 13" rMBP really needs a substantial price cut or performance/capacity upgrade - its pricing is absurd.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I anticipate slight speed boost 10-15% overall, and upgrades emphasizing energy efficiency (eg: igzo display). And the big thing will be: Price cut as a result of economies of scale and reduced component costs.

reery

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Probably these spec options:

i7 4615/4720/4820 from 2.4-3.4/2.7-3.7/2.8-3.8Ghz
GT 750m (A renamed GTX 660m) or maybe Apple might switch back to AMD for cheaper prices
8-16GB Ram
Improved retina display quality (hopefully at least)

And typically everything else the current rMBP has...

A renamed 660M won't do it. The 650M with this clocks (900/1254) is not standard and pushing the rMBPs 650M very very close to the standard 660M. It's just not worth it.
Except of Haswell which would be a small CPU upgrade I don't expect something new except if nVidia or AMD suddenly release a significantly faster GPU with 45W TDP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.