Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:21 AM   #1
tiptopp
macrumors regular

Help resetting SMC on MBA 2010

Firstly, I don't expect any sympathy for letting my 4 year old spill orange juice on my MBA...

But following this incident, and a period of about 3 weeks with the computer off, I decided to power it up and see what would happen. Amazingly, it started and, after installing a new battery, appeared to be working pretty much perfectly in almost every respect. I'd left the one issue until last to sort out - the sticky keys - as it was obviously going to be the easy bit! Little did I know...

So a week or so ago, I decided to sit down for a couple of hours, remove each key, clean it, put it back together, and have my lovely MBA back in full working order.

However, once I'd replaced the keys which I'd cleaned, and switched it on, nether the keyboard nor the trackpad worked (with the obvious exception of the power key). I'm stumped, as I did absolutely nothing to it other than clean the underside of the keys.

Now, when I turn it on, the fan starts running almost immediately, it boots very slowly and then runs very, very slowly. I've plugged an external keyboard and mouse in and confirmed that both USB ports work, as does the power supply and battery. I ran the performance monitor and kernel runs at about 120% which, from what I've read, is high.

I've managed to reset PRAM (although am aware that this wouldn't necessarily help, but it proved that the computer can do stuff), but want to carry out both hardware tests and SMC resets before I abandon the computer to a skip or repair shop.

My question, therefore, is how to do an SMC reset without an internal keyboard? Is it possible to do this with a windows keyboard plugged in (and if so, which keys)? And similarly, as it refused to do the hardware test using the "D" on restart, is there another way of doing this?

For machines with removable batteries, the reset can be done by removing it, holding the power button for 5 seconds, and then putting it back together. I assume that this essentially drains any residual power out of the circuits, but I guess it might be a programmed function. Can anyone confirm that this works for MBAs as well?

Thanks for reading - any suggestions welcomed (well, almost any...).

Tiptopp
tiptopp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptopp View Post
Firstly, I don't expect any sympathy for letting my 4 year old spill orange juice on my MBA...

But following this incident, and a period of about 3 weeks with the computer off, I decided to power it up and see what would happen. Amazingly, it started and, after installing a new battery, appeared to be working pretty much perfectly in almost every respect. I'd left the one issue until last to sort out - the sticky keys - as it was obviously going to be the easy bit! Little did I know...

So a week or so ago, I decided to sit down for a couple of hours, remove each key, clean it, put it back together, and have my lovely MBA back in full working order.

However, once I'd replaced the keys which I'd cleaned, and switched it on, nether the keyboard nor the trackpad worked (with the obvious exception of the power key). I'm stumped, as I did absolutely nothing to it other than clean the underside of the keys.

Now, when I turn it on, the fan starts running almost immediately, it boots very slowly and then runs very, very slowly. I've plugged an external keyboard and mouse in and confirmed that both USB ports work, as does the power supply and battery. I ran the performance monitor and kernel runs at about 120% which, from what I've read, is high.

I've managed to reset PRAM (although am aware that this wouldn't necessarily help, but it proved that the computer can do stuff), but want to carry out both hardware tests and SMC resets before I abandon the computer to a skip or repair shop.

My question, therefore, is how to do an SMC reset without an internal keyboard? Is it possible to do this with a windows keyboard plugged in (and if so, which keys)? And similarly, as it refused to do the hardware test using the "D" on restart, is there another way of doing this?

For machines with removable batteries, the reset can be done by removing it, holding the power button for 5 seconds, and then putting it back together. I assume that this essentially drains any residual power out of the circuits, but I guess it might be a programmed function. Can anyone confirm that this works for MBAs as well?

Thanks for reading - any suggestions welcomed (well, almost any...).

Tiptopp
You could try a wired KB, but I think that what's probably happened is that the OJ has worked it's way through to more vital parts of your Mac. It won't hurt to try an SMC re-set with an external KB, but I fear for your Logic Board...I hope I'm wrong.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:12 AM   #3
tiptopp
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
You could try a wired KB, but I think that what's probably happened is that the OJ has worked it's way through to more vital parts of your Mac. It won't hurt to try an SMC re-set with an external KB, but I fear for your Logic Board...I hope I'm wrong.
Yes - I realise that that's probably the problem, but the coincidence of it happening when the machine was off and I was cleaning the keys makes me hope otherwise (although I don't understand what I could have done...).

You don't happen to know which windows KB keys I'd use, do you?

Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:31 AM   #4
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer. *
Note: The LED*on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:30 AM   #5
tiptopp
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer. *
Note: The LED*on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Thanks Chrisman. I've read and re-read those very words too many times in the last week, and wish that I could follow the instructions. However, the reason for my question is that the inbuilt keyboard doesn't work. At all. So I'm hoping that someone has a non-built-in-keyboard version for me to try...

Cheers,

Tiptopp
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptopp View Post
Thanks Chrisman. I've read and re-read those very words too many times in the last week, and wish that I could follow the instructions. However, the reason for my question is that the inbuilt keyboard doesn't work. At all. So I'm hoping that someone has a non-built-in-keyboard version for me to try...

Cheers,

Tiptopp
An Apple USB KB will give you the ability to test things out, but I doubt you want to buy one just for the test. The Bluetooth offering is no use either..It needs to be one of these..:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB...K_Product-Feed

Maybe you can find a buddy with an iMac?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Tags
keyboard, mba, smc reset