Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I understand if one is a backup but owning 3 is like... pointless. The signatures on this site are like "iPhone 5 64gb white:apple:iPhone 4S 64gb Black:apple:iPhone 4 32gb black:apple:iPhone 3GS 8gb:apple:iPhone 3g 8gb:apple:iPhone 2g 4gb:apple:iPad 3 64gb:apple:iPad Mini 32gb+celluar:apple:

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Are you bored?
That's your 1030st post within one and a half month. Don't you have something else to do? Not that I want do say you shouldn't post some useful stuff - but I get the feeling that you ask questions just for posting

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I understand if one is a backup but owning 3 is like... pointless. The signatures on this site are like "iPhone 5 64gb white:apple:iPhone 4S 64gb Black:apple:iPhone 4 32gb black:apple:iPhone 3GS 8gb:apple:iPhone 3g 8gb:apple:iPhone 2g 4gb:apple:iPad 3 64gb:apple:iPad Mini 32gb+celluar:apple:

Sometimes people leave their older idevices in their signature to show they have experience of that gadget.

Some people don't need to sell on their idevices so they keep them in the original boxes for prosperity.

What you see as "pointless" another see's as an investment.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Are you bored?
That's your 1030st post within one and a half month. Don't you have something else to do? Not that I want do say you shouldn't post some useful stuff - but I get the feeling that you ask questions just for posting

nice to see you follow me.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
My Signature doesn't show any, but I do have almost all the models.
Why? Because I can have them unlocked and be able to use them when I am at other countries and don't want to pay roaming to AT&T.
Also it is nice to collect them, some decades from now they will be valuable collectables if they are in pristine condition and the tricky part and kind of annoying is having to charge them every now and them.
Anyone have good tips on how to keep the battery?
one of them I will jailbreak again and run Minivmac, so I can have a classic Mac with me when I want, play old games I enjoy.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Sometimes people leave their older idevices in their signature to show they have experience of that gadget.

Some people don't need to sell on their idevices so they keep them in the original boxes for prosperity.

What you see as "pointless" another see's as an investment.

well hey the aftersale market is huge, might as well make some money back, I see it as a "stealth brag" kind of thing.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Have you ever thought that people just like to collect things some people are like that just like people collect stamps or CDs or records some people like to collect phones or even iPads at the end of the day its there money they can do what they want with it.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
I get a lot of calls and I can't always buy enough new phones. But I agree if you don't have as many girlfriends as a general, you might be over doing the phone thing.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Also it is nice to collect them, some decades from now they will be valuable collectables if they are in pristine condition.

Bearing in mind the millions of iPhones that are produced I should think this is highly unlikely! :)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Between my wife and myself, I keep one iPhone in every form/design factor and sell the others. So I have a collection consisting of the oldie but goodie original iPhone, fat but nice in the hand 3GS, and heavy and squanty 4S. They obviously won't be worth anything as too many of them have been produced, but it's nice to have them around for comparison purposes. I don't list them in my signature as that'd be quite pointless (do you list your ex-girlfriends, etc.?).

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
iphone 5 - fiance's, main
iphone 4S - mine, main
iphone 4 - fiance's, 2nd line
iphone 3GS - mine, 2nd line

iphone 3G - gifted
iphone 2G - dead

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
I don't think it's about the appeal, but people like to keep their investment. For instance, my mother still has her 2G and 3GS phone and simply doesn't want to sell them.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I don't think it's about the appeal, but people like to keep their investment. For instance, my mother still has her 2G and 3GS phone and simply doesn't want to sell them.

so are they just laying around the house? I would much rather sell it than leaving it to gather dust, money is tight nowadays.

Tulsa

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
so are they just laying around the house? I would much rather sell it than leaving it to gather dust, money is tight nowadays.

Some people can see a bigger picture where keeping things they've purchased will over time gain in value.

Case in point; the vindication of those who've hoarded twinkies for years.

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Some people might list the phones in their household or they might have a personal and work phone that they list.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I was just too lazy to sell my iPhone 4, and have since let my kids use it occasionally it as an iPod touch for games, etc.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i owned the iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 obvs was the way to go after that but then i found the iPhone 4S for 1€ and i wanted a white one for a change so i thought, why not?

gonna skip the iPhone 5 now to stay in the "S" generation update cycle

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I did it so I could get a 5 at the 399$ for 64GB price. Now I have a setup that will allow me to get the newest iPhone every year, at reduced price. Then turn around and sell the previous one I had, and pay the difference in price, which is usual around 50$

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I use one for travel SIM (local SIM whenever I travel, and for work), and my other with personal US number at all times (even when roaming). It also lets me access US data services where it's blocked locally.

bmwman3241

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
I use the 5, but also have the 4 and 3GS to use when I travel and as a spare phone if needed. When traveling, the 5 keeps my personal number with roaming, and I use either the 4 or 3GS with a local sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.