Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
Hello,

I will be purchasing a new computer soon, and was wondering how my time machine backup restore would work. I currently have a MacBook Pro with an optibay hard drive and an ssd. I know time machine will fill these drives up according to the backup, but if I move to a new computer with only one drive will it merge these, or will I have to do this myself?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
No, he's got two drives being backed up in Time Machine. Asking what will happen when he restores a backup of two drives onto a mac with one drive.

Good question. I have not done this myself with the two drive scenario but it is difficult to imagine how TM would or could restore anything but the main drive to the main drive in the new machine. I would think the data in TM from the second drive would need to be manually copied in from TM to whatever destination you want.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Aah - got it. Note to self: have the morning coffee before posting anything. :)

As far as restoring from multiple drives onto a single drive, I'm of no help. Have you googled time machine tutorial or similar?

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
quick question to OP, how does Time Machine see the drive(s) right now? Is it just one drive or two separate drives (which I don't think even possible to start with)?

thanks

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
Good question. I have not done this myself with the two drive scenario but it is difficult to imagine how TM would or could restore anything but the main drive to the main drive in the new machine. I would think the data in TM from the second drive would need to be manually copied in from TM to whatever destination you want.

This is what I was thinking. It shouldn't be a big deal since I'm just using symbolic links to attach the paths. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this. Thanks a lot.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
This is what I was thinking. It shouldn't be a big deal since I'm just using symbolic links to attach the paths. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this. Thanks a lot.

well, that should work if it's a symlink. TM doesn't see you using 2 drives but 1. You just fooled it by creating a symlink to a path that actually goes to another drive. as long as the directory structure is not changed, I believe you should be ok without copying anything over manually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.